• 1 Post By furneauxfrogger

Thread: Great news re Michelin tyres

Icon14 Great news re Michelin tyres

Hi All,
    Just saw this on Carpoint
    TYRES: Michelin introduces range for older cars

Image 1 of 2

Reproduction tyres blend modern technology with the looks of yesteryear
    Michelin Australia has announced 90 new products added to its local tyre range, addressing the needs of owners with older cars tucked away in the garage.
    The Michelin Vintage tyre range includes competition tyres and offers suitable replacements for tyres fitted to vehicles built between the 1930s and the end of the 1970s.
    "Michelin is pleased to be able to offer this highly popular range again to our Australian customers," said Michelin Australia Managing Director, Cedric Binoit (pictured with Citroen 2CV).
    "Through Stuckey Tyre Service we are providing easier access and improved service to vintage car owners looking to fit Michelin tyres to their prized vehicles. Not only will they be able to keep the original look and feel of their vehicle, they will also benefit from improved safety and performance.
    "Tyre safety and performance have come a long way since these cars were first manufactured, but thanks to continuous innovation and technological leadership from Michelin, these tyres benefit from the progress made in performance. However, the visual characteristics of these tyres remain consistent with those of the vehicles of time."
    There has been increased demand for such tyres in Australia over recent years, Benoit said, in a press release. The Vintage tyres include cross-ply and radial products, and are hand-made in small production runs. While the technology is up to date, the tyres are manufactured with the same size, tread pattern and aspect ratio as the original equipment forebears.

Advertisement
    Kim Luck likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

That is (hopefully) fabulous news. Presumably Michelin should be able to bring through a much lower freight cost in bulk than we can get from overseas, and like other posters in the Citroen forum I would like to reward local businesses who support our marques. Unfortunately last time I checked (18months ago) I was told the last 165x400 tyre in Australia was available for around $550. I proceeded to buy from Longstone and even though I missed the free shipping period and even worse did not see the "buy 4" special price (which would have almost covered my freight cost) I still landed and had fitted 4 tyres for just over 300 each (including freight being over $60 per tyre). I am now in the market for another 4 (second ID19) so will be on the line to Stuckeys tomorrow. Was going to rush through a Longstone purchase this week because I strongly suspect the GST rule will change in the budget and add 10% to the GB source.

I wonder if they have firm pricing yet, you would hope so if they have gone public.

Cheers leconte
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

Quote Originally Posted by Leconte View Post
    That is (hopefully) fabulous news. Presumably Michelin should be able to bring through a much lower freight cost in bulk than we can get from overseas, and like other posters in the Citroen forum I would like to reward local businesses who support our marques. Unfortunately last time I checked (18months ago) I was told the last 165x400 tyre in Australia was available for around $550. I proceeded to buy from Longstone and even though I missed the free shipping period and even worse did not see the "buy 4" special price (which would have almost covered my freight cost) I still landed and had fitted 4 tyres for just over 300 each (including freight being over $60 per tyre). I am now in the market for another 4 (second ID19) so will be on the line to Stuckeys tomorrow. Was going to rush through a Longstone purchase this week because I strongly suspect the GST rule will change in the budget and add 10% to the GB source.

I wonder if they have firm pricing yet, you would hope so if they have gone public.

Cheers leconte

Yes, as per my post above I purchased from Stuckey. A lot less than 550! I have also purchased my XAS 180 x 15 from him for my DS21 Pallas. Great bloke.

Tim

Thread Information