Gouging not restricted to PSA !
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Gouging not restricted to PSA !

Hi
    I have recently purchased an older Mercedes Sprinter bus. Low Ks but now 15 years old. A good driver and much more comfortable on the indifferent roads than the truck based Winnebago I have just sold. Still front engine and rear wheel drive too ! My preference over FWD.

To the point I priced parts for a full service at my local Merc dealer. the three engine filters and a service kit for the auto. Actually got individual part prices for the auto and also the "special oil" required, not to mention the 6 torque to yield screws for the pan.
    Total for the listed parts only $711.65.

$45-$50 for the engine filters each.

Auto filter $112 , gasket $58, the oil 5 Ltrs @ $60 each, screws quite reasonable @ $6 each.. !

The copper drain plug washer a give away at only $3.29 !

Thanks for all that I will get back to you !!!
    The internet here I come !!
    These prices make the Citroen/Peugeot genuine prices look OK. Or at least equivalent !
    Jaahn

Advertisement
    Last edited by jaahn; 17th April 2015 at 10:18 PM.

1000+ Posts

I have heard this mob mentioned - but i have no idea what the prices are like - Australia's leading Mercedes-Benz website

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    I have recently purchased an older Mercedes Sprinter bus. Low Ks but now 15 years old. A good driver and much more comfortable on the indifferent roads than the truck based Winnebago I have just sold.
    Great Mule!!
    My bro has one too.
    If you see one driving around with a renault fuego roof arial, and a few other random renault parts, that would be his.

Jo

Re Merc. service costs.
    A friend who has had Citroens for many years has just sold his last one. His wife an he fell in love with a Mercedes convertible sports which they bought. They both love it ( I can't fit in it). The other day they went to the Merc. dealer to ask how much the service was for 60,000km. They were quoted $2,000 to $3,000 for this. It bought the Cit. service costs into perspective.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Great Mule!!
    My bro has one too.
    If you see one driving around with a renault fuego roof arial, and a few other random renault parts, that would be his.

Jo
    All Sprinters will now be audited for a creeping takeover by Renault.

The Canberra crowd have been around for quite a long time, so worth asking. There will be other independent MB parts vendors locally. When the $A was at or above parity, using the US vendors like Pelican Parts, FCPEuro and eeuroparts could save quite a lot. I've not bought MB parts, but have bought SAAB and Volvo bits from all three and they are good value because the US market for these cars is enormous and extremely competitive. With the $A weak agsint the $US, but holding OK against the Euro, you might look to Europe instead.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    When the $A was at or above parity, using the US vendors like Pelican Parts, FCPEuro and eeuroparts could save quite a lot. I've not bought MB parts, but have bought SAAB and Volvo bits from all three and they are good value because the US market for these cars is enormous and extremely competitive.
    I've also had good experience with FCP Euro, (as far back as when they were called FCP Groton). They have a huge range of spares, usually have two or more brands of each component and I've always had stuff delivered within 10 Days.

Those earlier Sprinters were made in Brazil. Maybe a South American site can provide better prices?

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

1000+ Posts

Default Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Those earlier Sprinters were made in Brazil. Maybe a South American site can provide better prices?
    Dave
    Hi Dave
    Well that may be true for some but mine says made in Germany, for which I am grateful. I do believe some of the Mercedes smaller full size busses were made there and after some research rejected them because of their poor reputation. Just as a throwback I found that mine was purchased by SOCOG in 2000, if anyone remembers who that was

However MR Google has provided some reasonable priced brand name German filters and steering joints made in Germany MB Parts, FCP, GFS and some other sites do not handle the Sprinters, only the UP-Market Mercs. A problem is the Sprinter is a world vehicle and made in various places. The specs are different in different places. My combination of engine and g/box is not common in some of them. I found a parts data base to look at, as Merc keeps its parts information close to their chest. But I have cracked the German code, so all is well I am sending in the spies to look for more stuff as we speak !!
    Cheers Jaahn

PS after having experience with the PSA official site and using it in a limited way, I just cannot see why all car manufacturers do not do it. What is there not to like for them. Beats me. Keeps the punter happy that access it.
    Last edited by jaahn; 20th April 2015 at 11:28 AM.

Thread Information