New shed
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: New shed

Fellow Frogger!

Default New shed

The question is, can my new shed be too big. I have spouse and council approval for 60m2, it's not going to be taking up more effective back yard then the old one it'll just use the wasted space behind it. My fear is that my back yard will look like an industrial complex.

Advertisement

Or is everyone just going to be jealous?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

1000+ Posts

Default Good concept - pic and progress?

Quote Originally Posted by c.lees View Post
    The question is, can my new shed be too big. I have spouse and council approval for 60m2, it's not going to be taking up more effective back yard then the old one it'll just use the wasted space behind it. My fear is that my back yard will look like an industrial complex.

At least you have had the use of the other shed as a guide to the size you want for the new shed - now just build the thing, post pics of the progress, and let us decide if we are jealous or not

Ken,

P.s. good that you have approval from the important guys, did you promise that spouse could have open space to stack garden tools, plants, restoration to be furniture, brick-a-brack, if so perhaps should be larger?

COL

Or is everyone just going to be jealous
    A mans shed can never be to big.

My current shed takes up 54 sq metres. I have been thinking about building a bigger shed, I wanted to double the size of my shed but when I inquired at the local council they would only let me build a shed up to 70 sq metres.
    Kenfuego, CarNut and J-man like this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Ditto with Col. A shed is NEVER big enough. Mine get bigger each time I move house & build a new one - but each time I regret building too small a one. (Currently 56 sq m = 36 inside and an attached carport of 21 at the side). Thinking 100 for the next one.
    Who needs brakes? They only slow you down ....

Nope, no jealousy here. The bigger the shed, the grander the projects! I've got 48 sq m plus a 21 sq m carport and I wish I'd gone bigger. Even with 2.7 m walls for a spares mezzanine (which I haven't yet built) it's still not big enough.
    Push the local council for the biggest they'll allow I reckon.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

1000+ Posts

Icon14 THe ways and means probably quite legal too in the fine print.

My old mate Peter Trull a plumber then working from home in Oakleigh got around the permitted shed size, by building a second shed of a permitted size again to the rear of the shed, with a then 12 foot concrete floored gap between the two sheds, he then covered that space with a roof to enable the walkway to be both useable and accessible during wet weather.

Eventually he made alterations "To existing structures" and modified the walls and openings so that for all purposes, it was in effect one huge shed. Peter sadly has passed on but as far as I know the shed is still standing and in use by the present owner.

It does help of course if you are in good standing with your neighbours, and Peter and his plumbing skills were quite helpful in that regard.

A great mate sadly missed..

Ken
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 28th March 2015 at 06:55 PM. Reason: from dry to wet!!

Eventually he made alterations "To existing structures" and modified the walls and openings so that for all purposes, it was in effect one huge shed.
    No such flexibility allowed now. The councils' approval process has been subcontracted out to third parties. Now it's all about making money.

Knock back the application, the charge a fee for resubmission.

We have a zero lot line garage wall. A section of it is 300mm higher than the regs due to our land gradient.

Cost us around thousand dollars to gain council dispensation and approval.

I suspect we funded a meeting (savories and drinks) of the grand council poobahs to allow us to have a 4 m section of the wall 300mm higher than the regs specified. Then there was cost of preparing the submission.

Gone are days of commonsense council building departments wanting to genuinely assist the ratepayers.
    JohnnyAfrica12G likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    No such flexibility allowed now. The councils' approval process has been subcontracted out to third parties. Now it's all about making money.

Knock back the application, the charge a fee for resubmission.

We have a zero lot line garage wall. A section of it is 300mm higher than the regs due to our land gradient.

Cost us around thousand dollars to gain council dispensation and approval.

I suspect we funded a meeting (savories and drinks) of the grand council poobahs to allow us to have a 4 m section of the wall 300mm higher than the regs specified. Then there was cost of preparing the submission.

Gone are days of commonsense council building departments wanting to genuinely assist the ratepayers.
    There are many good reasons for engaging an architect, but a primary one is their understanding of the relevant codes and how to satisfy them.

For instance, a friend had exactly the same issue you have rob (but he hadn't built yet)
    After advice, it wasn't that hard to alter the land to suit the required measuring distances.
    Unless it realy is set in stone and your land is one big rock, boundary lines and land contours are flexible.

If you are realy realy lucky, the inspector will get you to hold the end of the tape measure.
    That happened when I was getting my car's tyre load rating downgraded.

I didn't anticipate the engineer measuring wheel track.
    The engineer got me to hold the end of the tape dead centre on the tyre front then back, but what he didn't know, I had mixed offset rims fitted (illegal), so some bloody quick mental calcs, and the required offset off tyre centre saw me dodge that bullet.

My old mate Peter Trull a plumber then working from home in Oakleigh got around the permitted shed size, by building a second shed of a permitted size again to the rear of the shed
    I'm building like that right now, Ken.

Two seperate structures with 2 totaly seperate and differently pitched roofs, each under the permitted limit but totaling more than a single structure's max size.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    There are many good reasons for engaging an architect, but a primary one is their understanding of the relevant codes and how to satisfy them.

For instance, a friend had exactly the same issue you have rob (but he hadn't built yet)
    After advice, it wasn't that hard to alter the land to suit the required measuring distances.
    Unless it realy is set in stone and your land is one big rock, boundary lines and land contours are flexible.

If you are realy realy lucky, the inspector will get you to hold the end of the tape measure.

The engineer got me to hold the end of the tape dead centre on the tyre front then back, but what he didn't know, I had mixed offset rims fitted (illegal), so some bloody quick mental calcs, and the required offset off tyre centre saw me dodge that bullet.

Two seperate structures with 2 totaly seperate and differently pitched roofs, each under the permitted limit but totaling more than a single structure's max size.

Jo
    All the work was done by the builder, Jo, but the money came from my pocket!

Up side was approval for the initial building permit and approvals in 2 weeks.

And a completed and occupied house in 7 months from the first time the ground was scratched, ahead of initial schedule.

But there was almost 9 months of prior meetings and preplanning and the only changes to the final drawings were fixing of stuff ups which were not of my doing.

We are about to turn 12 months of living in the new house.

Fellow Frogger!

New shed-uploadfromtaptalk1427524529748.jpg

Here is what's left if the old shed, the asbestos has been taken away.

1000+ Posts

Just put em on wheels. Then they are vehicles not sheds. Be prepared to prove it by towing them around a bit. Some councils will have rules for parking though.
    Australdi and Roger Wilkinson like this.

Just buy a farm and you can put up pretty much as many sheds as you like, as big as you like, wherever you like.

Roger
    CarNut, J-man, Australdi and 1 others like this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post

Jo
    Yeah, but a shed with porthole windows and a wavy roof just wouldn't look right.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Only19 View Post
    Ditto with Col. A shed is NEVER big enough. Mine get bigger each time I move house & build a new one - but each time I regret building too small a one. (Currently 56 sq m = 36 inside and an attached carport of 21 at the side). Thinking 100 for the next one.
    I agree 100%.....I had the "shed of my dreams" built in '05.......24m (80') x 12m (40'), two stories high and with a mezzanine floor in one end that was the size of a four car garage in itself. I thought "I'll never fill it", lol.......but I did. The bigger the shed, the more crap I collect and the more cars I buy.
    Yeah, I know......a hopeless case, I admit it.......
    J-man and Fingers like this.

I've been looking at a new shed myself. I have what was originally a 6 x 3.5 m shed that is now two side by side of the same with a strange roof. A bit wider than a double garage.

I worked out my dream garage, a 12 x 7.5m garage, brought forward 3m of the existing one and extending 3m further back and slightly wider. A double in the front (to one side) and a single door at the back to comfortably for four cars. A 2m space at the side for storage and plenty of racking at the back. Then on the side (towards the front) about 5m of glad bi fold or sliding doors so it could also be used as an outdoor room/patio. Main problem was the $90k a builder quoted (rendered besser block to fit in with the house). A more basic colorbond version was about $9k plus installation and the slab (which is about $12-15k), plus electrics and the permits.

I'm in Vic so Councils don't have much to say on building permits for a shed. All regulated at State level and Council or private building surveyor can issue permit. If it doesn't meet building regs have to get consent from Council (on top of permit), and even fees for that are set by state government.

I work in Local Government and we had a resident get a permit for a 360m2 shed (bigger than lots of blocks in new estates). Once it got built, neighbors up in arms. Even made local paper two weeks running.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Why are you only building a little garden shed ..... put up something decent first time. I'd be looking at 20 x 12 metres at a minimum. You could leave half of it gravel (I reckon car storage on gravel is probably better than concrete. oil leaks disappear and it self drains if water ever gets in).

My father put a little 15 x 7.5 meter shed up on his suburban block in town. 4meter walls from memory so can fit a hoist. I kept saying to him at the time "go way bigger ... it's to little". I reckon he now wishes he's made it at least 20meters long (it's just wasted space behind it now, and he's started putting garden sheds in it to create space in the main shed).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 30th March 2015 at 12:34 PM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I have the opposite problem.

I have enough shed space for 10 cars and only 5 cars worthy of being undercover.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    I've been looking at a new shed myself. I have what was originally a 6 x 3.5 m shed that is now two side by side of the same with a strange roof. A bit wider than a double garage.

I worked out my dream garage, a 12 x 7.5m garage, brought forward 3m of the existing one and extending 3m further back and slightly wider. A double in the front (to one side) and a single door at the back to comfortably for four cars. A 2m space at the side for storage and plenty of racking at the back. Then on the side (towards the front) about 5m of glad bi fold or sliding doors so it could also be used as an outdoor room/patio. Main problem was the $90k a builder quoted (rendered besser block to fit in with the house). A more basic colorbond version was about $9k plus installation and the slab (which is about $12-15k), plus electrics and the permits.

I'm in Vic so Councils don't have much to say on building permits for a shed. All regulated at State level and Council or private building surveyor can issue permit. If it doesn't meet building regs have to get consent from Council (on top of permit), and even fees for that are set by state government.

I work in Local Government and we had a resident get a permit for a 360m2 shed (bigger than lots of blocks in new estates). Once it got built, neighbors up in arms. Even made local paper two weeks running.
    I guess you only have problems if your neighbours complain. The original double garage I have was built with shitty 2nd hand materials probably 40years ago... gravel floor plenty of nail holes in most of the rusted sheets. Last year I chopped through the uprights and lifted high enough to fit a full height cavavan under.... and replaced some of the roof sheets with better 2nd hand crap. It looks like someone sneezing near it would blow it down .... But it's stood through some HUGE wind storms over the decades, so it's got me buggered

The there's the 10 x 6 shed without a floor behind it I filled with 6 cars ... another built with used old used materials (only this one is 100% weather proof).... um, a home made 10 x 7 carport ... That would never have had a permit ... ever. And the modern 12 x 7.5 garage beside it. There all full and there's nowhere to park anything. I need somethign decent like a 20 x 12 meter shed rather than all the little garden sheds around the yard plenty of space for a spray booth ... 4 post hoist ... all sorts of toys

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    I have the opposite problem.

I have enough shed space for 10 cars and only 5 cars worthy of being undercover.
    Be careful of saying that on here. You might end up with quite a few offers to fill the spare space.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    Be careful of saying that on here. You might end up with quite a few offers to fill the spare space.
    They'd have to be good to be worthy of my sheds. There's 20 cars in the backyard that are unworthy.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    They'd have to be good to be worthy of my sheds. There's 20 cars in the backyard that are unworthy.
    Man ... I'll bring some rusty old CX's over ..... You'll have to clear all the good stuff out of your sheds to fit the "worthy" stuff in
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Man ... I'll bring some rusty old CX's over ..... You'll have to clear all the good stuff out of your sheds to fit the "worthy" stuff in
    Shane I'll have to get you a dictionary so you can look up the meaning of worthy.
    27of85 likes this.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

'Worthy' is in the eye of the beholder ......
    Who needs brakes? They only slow you down ....

In Ipswich the council limits sheds on blocks smaller than 2.5 acres to 80 sqM. Yes I wanted bigger, so a "relaxation" was arranged to allow 105 sqM,(15 x 7) but walls could be no greater than 3M. It felt just like a bribe to me to get my dream. My shed also had to be built over a main sewer line, so I got a relaxation for that, as long as I got the the sewer line replaced first by the specified contractor, ($5000 and a days work for two guys and an excavator)and had 32 piers under the double reinforced extra thick slab to stop there ever being any weight on the sewer line.

My house is in a "heritage" area so the shed had to look like it was made of timber and had to have at least a 25 degree pitched roof, and be a heritage colour. I was happy to comply to these things. The shed cost at least twice what a standard shed would of, but I am happy with it, but like many have said, it needs to be bigger. Make yours as big as you can fit and afford.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Only19 View Post
    'Worthy' is in the eye of the beholder ......
    No that is beauty
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information