This one is mainly for Robmac
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: This one is mainly for Robmac

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Default This one is mainly for Robmac

The working principles are sound, but the way he goes about it is funny.

Advertisement
    Kenfuego, Only19 and Beano like this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    I like the guy! There is a certain made scientist element about him.

On the darker side the device he makes is potentially a very dangerous weapon. Ever a dangerous experiment in the hands of the someone who lacks electronic knowledge. The problem is, it's a continuous duty device, it should shut off after a second and then only work if the button is released and then repressed.

Tip : a coil on plug coil is more compact and has a higher turns ratio. The whole lot fits into piece poly pipe.if you use a cop and 6 lithium iron C cells (9 volts is fine). It's best to replace the relay with transistor and a 555 timer one shot circuit.

Ask me how I know.
    Last edited by robmac; 28th March 2015 at 09:38 AM.

This guy is a genius, he even makes his own electric guitar!
    https://youtu.be/TwIvUbOhcKE
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

This guy is funny..

I dabbled with electronics when I was younger and was always zapping myself.

his videos keep getting funnier

1000+ Posts

Icon6

"Let's look at the Sparks"....................

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Good one HRE and Robmac!!

Loved that video, now I am waiting for the Robmac comparable video demonstration of his improved device (Pics or Ban?) complete with whizz bang expletives

Thanks for posting HRE!

I am sure shane could build one and find uses -rocket powered dog detterent? but then again, not good to have one lying around when wives could pick them up and apply them to you know who

Ken

Shirley he can't be serious! Putting 100v ac on an automotive coil, pointing to results and, for the climax, measuring a live high voltage gap with metal verniers!!!

Gold. but unwatchable if you do this as more than a hobby
    4's 16's and Caravelle

Damn funny. How he can subject himself to the results of the "mistakes" he makes in the cause of entertainment is amazing.
    When disposable film cameras with inbuilt flash were popular the local kids would use the circuitry for shock units.
    Voltage was lower, only 330V AC but the capacitor held quite a charge.
    I collected many of these cameras from mini labs and used to bunch them together to make large light boxes.
    Had an article published in photographic magazine on the use of them.

Paul.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    The funniest thing I have seen on these video sites.
    Jaahn

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post

On the darker side the device he makes is potentially a very dangerous weapon. Ever a dangerous experiment in the hands of the someone who lacks electronic knowledge. The problem is, it's a continuous duty device, it should shut off after a second and then only work if the button is released and then repressed.

:
    I agree with robmac here. Yes, the "mad scientist" chap is entertaining, for sure

Call me a party-pooper and a nervous-Nellie ... but goodness, it looks kind of dangerous to me if someone with limited knowledge goes connecting up mains power to an automotive coil to see what fun they can have ....

Ian.
    Last edited by IWS; 28th March 2015 at 12:12 PM. Reason: words ...

now I am waiting for the Robmac comparable video demonstration of his improved device
    Not keen to do that. Those aware of the risks in making and using such a device should also have the knowledge to build it.

It looks funny on the video, but a lot of it is "hamming" I'm sure.

I don't want having created a cardiac arrest on some inexperienced hobbyist as part my works.

These devices are potentially lethal on the bench, less so once the output electrodes are installed. And his design is very rough and ready . So my suggestion is to think carefully before building such a unit.
    IWS, Kenfuego and Hotrodelectric like this.

Not keen to do that. Those aware of the risks in making and using such a device should also have the knowledge to build it.

It looks funny on the video, but a lot of it is "hamming" I'm sure.

I don't want having created a cardiac arrest on some inexperienced hobbyist as part my works.

These devices are potentially lethal on the bench, less so once the output electrodes are installed. And his design is very rough and ready . So my suggestion is to think carefully before building such a unit.
    I don't blame you for wanting to be cautious. I've been hit a couple of times with HEI at 40,000+volts, and lemme tell ya, it stings a bit. Fun to watch dude play with this stuff, but not for the average guy who barely knows how to change a fuse.
    Kenfuego likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

I don't blame you for wanting to be cautious. I've been hit a couple of times with HEI at 40,000+volts, and lemme tell ya, it stings a bit. Fun to watch dude play with this stuff, but not for the average guy who barely knows how to change a fuse.
    For those who want to experiment. The coil on plug ignition coil driven by a Bosch darlington transistor ignition module to do the switching is the go. No need for capacitors or suppressors.

You drive the module directly from a 555 timer with free running square wave and use another 555 as a "one shot" with an inhibit time.

9 volts is quite satisfactory but it needs to be low internal resistance source like a NIMH Battery or SLA battery.
    Kenfuego, Hotrodelectric and addo like this.

For those who want to experiment. The coil on plug ignition coil driven by a Bosch darlington transistor ignition module to do the switching is the go. No need for capacitors or suppressors.

You drive the module directly from a 555 timer with free running square wave and use another 555 as a "one shot" with an inhibit time.

9 volts is quite satisfactory but it needs to be low internal resistance source like a NIMH Battery or SLA battery.
    Those who may want to experiment should also be aware that they are Category R weapons in Queensland and I suspect similar will apply in other States in Australia and as such, one can not even get a licence to lawfully possess one and making one is manufacturing a category R weapons, also illegal without armourers licence. Most likely scenario for getting caught is when someone gets hurt or one upsets the Mrs/significant other and they do the dob in on departure.

Loved the video, very funny
    Australdi and StephineS like this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

just out of curiosity....
    exactly how many volts would typically be outputted by a coil, say from a morris minor, linked to a 12 volt battery?

(I may, or may not know, how weird it makes your elbow feel for hours afterwards)
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi View Post
    just out of curiosity....
    exactly how many volts would typically be outputted by a coil, say from a morris minor, linked to a 12 volt battery?

(I may, or may not know, how weird it makes your elbow feel for hours afterwards)
    Proper standard 12v coil (which is actually about 8.5-10 volts once the power in runs through whatever resistor pack it has), in good nick, about 12-15000 volts once those points open and the magnetic field within the coil collapses. That's enough to let you know it works.
    Australdi likes this.

That's enough to let you know it works.
    yes.

Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Those who may want to experiment should also be aware that they are Category R weapons in Queensland and I suspect similar will apply in other States in Australia and as such, one can not even get a licence to lawfully possess one and making one is manufacturing a category R weapons, also illegal without armourers licence. Most likely scenario for getting caught is when someone gets hurt or one upsets the Mrs/significant other and they do the dob in on departure.

Illegal this and Illegal that,gee,you guy's are really under your Master's Boot down there,aren't ya? Tis a Bloomin' shame......

1000+ Posts

Icon14 You tell em

Quote Originally Posted by StephineS View Post
    Illegal this and Illegal that,gee,you guy's are really under your Master's Boot down there,aren't ya? Tis a Bloomin' shame......
    Really shocking Stephine...
    StephineS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StephineS View Post

Maybe... but we are yet to have a toddler in pram to shoot mother on shopping trip.. so not sure who is worse off. Maybe we don't have a pressing need to arm the whole civilian population just yet...?
    jaahn likes this.
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

Who know's? There WILL BE at one point......a third World-War."Probably" BEFORE 2020. All the 'Signs' are there. Can't worry about little things like that though. Just live your Life and fulfill your dreams before it's too late.

It depends how you define the experimental unit.

I choose to call the unit I built "an experimental portable spark generator to create ozone by creating a corona electrical discharge in oxygen . My reason for building it is to research the efficacy of removing toilet odours by the process of ozonation disinfection".

After I have completed, evaluated and documented my research I intend to submit a paper Engineers Australia for peer comment.

I daresay there are hosts of experimenters could cite similar reasons for building what is essentially a spark generator.
    Kenfuego and jaahn like this.

It depends how you define the experimental unit.

I choose to call the unit I built "an experimental portable spark generator to create ozone by creating a corona electrical discharge in oxygen . My reason for building it is to research the efficacy of removing toilet odours by the process of ozonation disinfection".

After I have completed, evaluated and documented my research I intend to submit a paper Engineers Australia for peer comment.

I daresay there are hosts of experimenters could cite similar reasons for building what is essentially a spark generator.
    The only way to properly test your argument is in front of Magistrate, which can be inconvenient and expensive
    Every day is a good day

The only way to properly test your argument is in front of Magistrate, which can be inconvenient and expensive
    Why ? I don't need to "test" anything (except my project) I just present my engineering credentials.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information