Rent-A-Frog?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Rent-A-Frog?

Default Rent-A-Frog?

Seems some bureaucrats at my work with too much free time want to make life hard; in particular they want me to stop using my car for work travel.

I tried telling them I need to drive my car as it will go where a commode won't, but that didn't stick (nothing goes off road better than a rental car, after all )

So since I am obliged to hire a car, anyone here know of outlets that will rent a

Advertisement

(or failing that, cars with an indicator stalk on the left, to avoid excessive washing of windscreens)
    "You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles... Radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein

Xantia Activa CT - Chock full of upsy-downsy goodness!

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by whitegoshawk
    (or failing that, cars with an indicator stalk on the left, to avoid excessive washing of windscreens)
    Astra is on the left ... I"m sure they wil let you have one of those .. just make sure it's the Turbo cause according to "Wheels" it's MUCH MUCH better then a GTi180 or Clio Sport

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Budget will be the best chance for a Renault. They rent Clios', Megane Cabrios's, Scenics & Lagunas. I often hire Clio's from them & also hired a Laguna from Delta last year in Sydney. Lots of smaller prestige car hire firms tend to have the Megane Cabrio on fleet as well I have noticed. Hired a Xantia from Atlas a few years ago in Melbourne but I think they do Rovers now? Good Luck anyway, be good to know of any others around Oz, I travel a bit & hate hiring crap cars, I will refuse to hire a Hyundai!!
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

nJm

Quote Originally Posted by zykyra
    Budget will be the best chance for a Renault. They rent Clios', Megane Cabrios's, Scenics & Lagunas. I often hire Clio's from them & also hired a Laguna from Delta last year in Sydney. Lots of smaller prestige car hire firms tend to have the Megane Cabrio on fleet as well I have noticed. Hired a Xantia from Atlas a few years ago in Melbourne but I think they do Rovers now? Good Luck anyway, be good to know of any others around Oz, I travel a bit & hate hiring crap cars, I will refuse to hire a Hyundai!!
    I believe Budget no longer rent Clios (they have Hyundai Getz now). They do still have the Megane Cabrio, Scenic and Laguna.

I find pronouncing 'Hyundai' in the American fashion makes me feel better as it sounds more derogatory. So next time, say you don't want a "Hunday"
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Astra is on the left ... I"m sure they wil let you have one of those .. just make sure it's the Turbo cause according to "Wheels" it's MUCH MUCH better then a GTi180 or Clio Sport
    I reckon it is much better in a few ways. The articles probably focus on the total owner experience rather than just comparing a 15 minute blat up some corker of a road.

whitegoshawk - Europcar have new MX5's for $89. I reckon they'd be more fun than any other French car they'd offer. Unlimited kms too. Lots and lots of fun to be had.

I have seen some Europcar focus' around!

Cya STalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

This won't help you if you're renting in Sydney, but Atlas Rent a Car has Citroen C3s in Melbourne. They start from $59/day.

C5s start from $69 a day.

Bear in mind these rates are only for 100km a day.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    Bear in mind these rates are only for 100km a day.
    I think that would be enough for "most" people, especially when averaged over a couple of days stay somewhere. Normal people don't do 2900km in a rental car in a week like you and I have managed PUG307 - although macquered topped us both with 3200km +/- in 3 days!

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    I think that would be enough for "most" people, especially when averaged over a couple of days stay somewhere. Normal people don't do 2900km in a rental car in a week like you and I have managed PUG307 - although macquered topped us both with 3200km +/- in 3 days!
    I'm sure we can beat that

Maybe we'll need to get an "Avis - We Try Harder" rental car next time

BTW - has anyone ever noticed that Avis' company name downunder is WTH
    Pty. Ltd.?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa

Derek
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions... Next time I will have something to choose from other than a Commode or Dagna!

I had forgotten about the Astra... But if I could hire a GTI180 though

I do tend to do reasonable distances on work trips though, most recent one was 568km driving over 2 days (not to mention the hours in a plane there and back as well), so I generally go for the unlimited km ones.

I'll have to work on my 'Aussie Frogs points' like Deka and macquered... but planes don't count do they (even if its a froggy plane??)
    "You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles... Radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein

Xantia Activa CT - Chock full of upsy-downsy goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by whitegoshawk
    I'll have to work on my 'Aussie Frogs points' like Deka and macquered... but planes don't count do they (even if its a froggy plane??)
    I reckon they do Then again, over the past 6 months I've flown over 10,000km on trips during which I've headed to Aussiefrogs events.

Not easy to get onto a Eurofrog aka. Airbus these days. Qantas is pulling its A330s onto International routes, Ansett is no longer around with the A320

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts

Pty. Ltd.?
    Yes, I noticed it the other day when booking a hire car for my dad. I thought it was "What The Hell" or What The Heck" when I first read it, and didn't think any more about it.

Derek

Thanks heaps to Pug307 for info on Atlas. I hired a Xsara & Xantia from them a few years ago but when I checked last year they didnt have Cits any more so its great they are back. Have now cancelled my Camry hire car & booked in a C5 for my trip to Melbourne in late April. Even managed to get unlimited km deal. Going back again in August so might try C3. Now all they need to do is hire French cars in Tassie! Cheers again mate
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4

Quote Originally Posted by zykyra
    Now all they need to do is hire French cars in Tassie! Cheers again mate
    You're welcome

You could always rent one in Melbourne and take the boat across All the rental cars in Tasmania seem to be Daewoos or Hyundais.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nJm

Yeah, and who in their right mind would drive a 'Hunday'?
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Pty. Ltd.?
    i was informed of that quite a few years ago

if you go through car auctions and look through the books you will notice WTH p/l in the books and if you know you then realise that is an ex rental from AVIS
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

how old do ya have to be to rent a car in australia?

i need to hire a car to drive from cairns to brisbane in july, will i be old enough?? i just turned 21?? do diff hire companys have diff age standards?

is it pretty cheap to hire a car?? any car!! wee clio or summit

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Jill_uk
    how old do ya have to be to rent a car in australia?
    i need to hire a car to drive from cairns to brisbane in july, will i be old enough?? i just turned 21?? do diff hire companys have diff age standards?
    is it pretty cheap to hire a car?? any car!! wee clio or summit
    I wouldn't say it was cheap .... and as you're 21 the excess will be higher, but with a international drivers licence you should have relatively few problems. Most cheap hire cars will be Echo's, Accents or Festiva's.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

fankooooooooo for the info

Just thought I'd add that you can hire Peugeot 307's & 206CC's in Tasmania through Europcar. Will hire 206 next time as was less than impressed with 307. It was a 1.6L & was absolutely gutless on any form of an incline, seemed as noisy as my 99 Xsara inside so no advances there, the indicator had stopped self terminating & the c/lock stuffed up for 2 days which resulted in the rear door not being able to be opened. Of course their is no lock in the car to do it manually? Strange. Anyway probably much better handling wise on twisty Tassie roads than certain other cars I wont mention!
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4

Just found out that M2000 Rentals in Perth hire 206CC's if anyone is interested. Always wanted to drive one of those, more fun than Clio me thinks next time I rent a frog!

1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4

Thomas Jacusy

You please give me your details and it would be really helpful for me to get the right
    deals over here so that's why I am just want to get the nice things.

Hello Jill,
    the cheapest option would be to contact the Cairns branch of campervan hire companies and see if they have any campervans they want relocated to Brisbane.
    Usually generous timeframe for the journey and sometimes cost of fuel supplied.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by whitegoshawk View Post
    Only if you drive it. Chauffeured drives don't count.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information