• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Kim Luck
  • 1 Post By SLC206
  • 1 Post By pug206gti
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: Possible Scam

Default Possible Scam

I have been advertising a friends vintage car for sale on Prewar cars for sometime now and have had an enquiry from a John Walsh in America who says he wants to buy the car and will pay an extra $300 to take the add down. He claims to be working on a boat and wants my Paypal account details. Has anyone here had any experience with this situation. Seems like a scam to me.

Advertisement

You picked it in one! Tell him you can only do the deal if he will pay by Irrevocable Letter of Credit.
    addo and StephineS like this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Total scam

If they are on a boat or an oil rig, then just ignore them. Sorry, oil rig workers.
    pug206gti likes this.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by KenM View Post
    I have been advertising a friends vintage car for sale on Prewar cars for sometime now and have had an enquiry from a John Walsh in America who says he wants to buy the car and will pay an extra $300 to take the add down. He claims to be working on a boat and wants my Paypal account details. Has anyone here had any experience with this situation. Seems like a scam to me.
    G'day,
    it would seem, by perusing various forums and such, that there are a lot of people working on boats and oil rigs, that want to buy cars. Why, they can't drive them anywhere.
    jaahn likes this.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    You picked it in one! Tell him you can only do the deal if he will pay by Irrevocable Letter of Credit.
    G'day,
    I would say 'cash' or nothing.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

I'd just tell him to transfer the whole lot by EFT to your supplied account, wait till it clears then tell him to pick the car up ......

Fellow Frogger!

Besides the French car I am chasing for my Dad, I have recently bought another car project (Bolwell Mk5) and I'm in China and have met with the same accusations of being a scammer during my searches. Ironically I also used to work for Mitchell's Drilling in Brisbane (drilling rigs)!

Very simple, I paid a 5% holding deposit straight into their bank account and there's no reason you can't ask for the same. TTs are easy and Western Union are everywhere around the World. If people aren't willing to do this or to risk a small amount in trust, then they aren't worth dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    I'd just tell him to transfer the whole lot by EFT to your supplied account, wait till it clears then tell him to pick the car up ......
    EFT can be reversed by the payer. ILOC cannot be altered without both parties consenting.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Are you sure about that ?

Yup! In the case of EFT the purchaser claims the goods were never supplied.

1000+ Posts

Default Scams Grrrr

Hi
    I have sold a few cars and things on some free sites over the last few years. No I m not a dealer but have done it for the kids as well as myself.

My experience is that scammers are well and truly alive and, with cars particularly, will be the first to contact you. However my advice is simple, just ignore anything which is not a straight foward enquiry. Easy to pick as the scammers always give it away with a stupid reason or poor spelling or ask on text but want reply on email etc. I just DO NOT REPLY AT ALL.

I do have a seperate bank account that I use for some small things like car parts. I give that to buyers when they are out of town. But I take the money out shortly after it goes in, by EFT to my other account. No problems so far with demanding money back. I would have thought it would be hard to get a bank to reverse a EFT for any reason without a court order or the like. They can be hard to shift with your own money !!
    Cheers jaahn
    lion5 likes this.

Chargeback (Pinched from a bank site near you.....)

What is a chargeback?

A ‘Chargeback’ is where a customers bank, reverses all, or part, of the amount of the disputed transaction back to a Merchant’s bank in accordance with the applicable card scheme rules set by Visa, MasterCard or American Express.

What is the Chargeback process?

1. Customer raises a dispute – contacts bank
    2. bank stops calculating interest on the disputed amount.
    3. bank sends the dispute to the Merchant bank
    4. Merchant bank refers the dispute to the merchant – they either accept the claim or further investigate under scheme rules
    5. If the Merchant bank accepts the dispute – a credit is posted to the customer’s account.
    6. If the Merchant bank does not accept – further investigation is completed – customer is advised.
    7. Depending on scheme rules the process continues until resolution is complete.

What are the most common Chargeback reasons?

• Unauthorised transaction - contact Fraud on 13 22 65
    • Requested item not received
    • Duplicate Processing
    • Invalid account number
    • Transaction exceed floor limit
    • Sales voucher not imprinted with card
    • Invalid transaction
    • Merchandise not received by purchaser
    • Credit voucher not processed
    • Posting direct debits

1000+ Posts

Hi Kim,
    I am no expert but I believe that those rules are applicable to a credit card transaction not a EFT.
    I would be happy to be corrected !
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Kim,
    I am no expert but I believe that those rules are applicable to a credit card transaction not a EFT.
    Jaahn
    I think you are exactly right. When processing EFT, if the BSB and Account numbers match, then the funds will transfer. You do not have right of withdrawal after the transfer has completed.

I know this as my boss once (quite recently) processed the wrong payroll file, which proceeded to transfer approx $100K to various employees, some current, some long gone.
    Our only recourse was for the bank and us to contact them and ask if they would return the incorrect funds. There was no way we could reverse the transactions. An expensive mistake for bossman.

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Kim,
    Jaahn
    From the same source as Kim quoted:-

"This is referred to as a 'chargeback' or chargeback right. Note: "chargeback right" doesn't apply to transactions using the Visa Debit card at EFTPOS terminal when accessing your nominated account using the "savings" or "cheque" option."
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

I dunno. You'd have to check your bank's rules for EFT I suppose. I believe it's possible to reverse an EFT transaction for exactly the same reasons as card transactions.

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    Besides the French car I am chasing for my Dad, I have recently bought another car project (Bolwell Mk5)
    Off topic, but may I ask why a Mk.5? Can you say whose it was or where it came from?

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    Off topic, but may I ask why a Mk.5? Can you say whose it was or where it came from?
    G'day,
    the early one's used to break in half, I once heard.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Hence the Mk 2.5
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Thread Information