Giving the RACV Battery replacement service the thumbs up! Excellent!!
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenfuego
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron

Thread: Giving the RACV Battery replacement service the thumbs up! Excellent!!

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Giving the RACV Battery replacement service the thumbs up! Excellent!!

At a fairly critical time when we need the Laguna, the RACV fitted 3662 Calcium Battery failed, we had gone to the higher spec 3 year warranty battery after replacing the slightly cheaper3552 RACV battery (2 year warranty) and that had lasted 3 years - the under bonnet location near the V6 motor, means quite a bit of heat stress so though going to a dearer battery might help. we ended up fitting a CCA 60, RC 110, 68 Ah, battery at $211 we do a lot of highway travel and some intermittent around the City.

When that battery failed it was just within the warranty period and so we received a like for like replacement at No Cost.

This replacement one failed to start the car early in the week and the RACV battery crew did a quick check this morning and again replaced the battery Like for Like , and again at No Cost to us. Service was prompt and courteous and I was rather resigned to the idea that I would probably have to contribute to the cost of the new battery, so the test result and no cost was very welcome, but if this one fails before the car is pensioned off, I don't think in all fairness I could expect to claim a third battery.

While the RACV batteries have been more expensive initial cost than for instance the Fuego batteries over the years, the absolute convenience and excellent service over the years has been well worth while and it is nice to have it all done for you on the spot - drive away with hands clean etc.

A very happy Laguna owner and extremely satisfied RACV customer.

Advertisement

Ken
    Kim Luck likes this.

Darned good value; three batteries for $211.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    At a fairly critical time when we need the Laguna, the RACV fitted 3662 Calcium Battery failed, we had gone to the higher spec 3 year warranty battery after replacing the slightly cheaper3552 RACV battery (2 year warranty) and that had lasted 3 years - the under bonnet location near the V6 motor, means quite a bit of heat stress so though going to a dearer battery might help. we ended up fitting a CCA 60, RC 110, 68 Ah, battery at $211 we do a lot of highway travel and some intermittent around the City.

When that battery failed it was just within the warranty period and so we received a like for like replacement at No Cost.

This replacement one failed to start the car early in the week and the RACV battery crew did a quick check this morning and again replaced the battery Like for Like , and again at No Cost to us. Service was prompt and courteous and I was rather resigned to the idea that I would probably have to contribute to the cost of the new battery, so the test result and no cost was very welcome, but if this one fails before the car is pensioned off, I don't think in all fairness I could expect to claim a third battery.

While the RACV batteries have been more expensive initial cost than for instance the Fuego batteries over the years, the absolute convenience and excellent service over the years has been well worth while and it is nice to have it all done for you on the spot - drive away with hands clean etc.

A very happy Laguna owner and extremely satisfied RACV customer.

Ken
    Hope you are luckier than us. Our family had two RACV supplied and installed batteries fail a few months after Warranty expired.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

go delkor calcium plate batteries... probably no more epxnesive, and I've never had one fail at less than 8years
    Melc likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Shane, Ken has effectively paid about $70 per calcium battery. That's good value in anyone's books.

I am soooo cynical, and read this as a warning to avoid sub standard batteries that are being floged off at a premium price.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Shane, Ken has effectively paid about $70 per calcium battery. That's good value in anyone's books.
    At that price who cares if they only last 2 years!

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Yeah I know ... but if your battery lasts 8years .... you don't need to worry abuot getting stranded somewhere due to it failing ..... and they ceramic plate batteries seem to hold a charge forever when used in non-daily drivers.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Eight years might breed more dangerous complacency that a three year cycle.

Also, anyone with a smartphone can put in annual reminders to check their battery on a load tester. Plus an Aldi smart charger is dirt cheap and can be modified using Anderson plugs to make a charging connection with no bonnet lifting required.

Yeah 8years is a bit of an exaggeration.... I haven't had one fail at less than 12years. The original battery I fitted to the CX turbo is still going fine .... it's now been moved ot the ID19 as it's capacity is very much reduced. It still happily works in that car with low power requirements though.

The orignal one I bought for the red CX up the back was still working in my brothers boat when he sold it .... must have been 14years old

George 1/8th must have got 10years out of the Xantia battery. I wodner how the XM battery is holding up.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information