Modern Cars & Rev Counters
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Modern Cars & Rev Counters

Default Modern Cars & Rev Counters

What practical purpose does a rev counter/tacho have in today's cars?

With the high level of electronics all cars are controlled by, engines cannot be over revved anymore (unless you select low or 2nd at 100kph), so they appear to have become nothing more than a fashion statement.

A more practical use of that space in the instrument binnacle might be for a few gauges for monitoring engine & (auto) gearbox fluid levels & temps, tyre pressures, etc. thus doing away with some of the useless warning lights that may or may not work depending on the state of the globe.

Advertisement
    driven likes this.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

You are correct
    New cars now have a screen that you can customise to whatever you want

The Tesla has a 17" screen Model S | Tesla Motors

Attachment 65611

Fully agree. If we must have tachos let them be a minor gauge, not equivalent in size to the speedo.
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

Cant agree, sorry.
    Maybe for a lazy car with a lazy driver, but for anything with a bit of poke, it is one of the car's primary gauges, especially these days when engine noise is almost non existent.

And...It matches the broom broom sound of the engine which I also enjoy whilst knowing many of you new car owners miss out on it.
    You'd think if you can't hear your engine, you'd want to be able to at least see whether it is worth changing gear or not.

Jo
    Fingers, 68 404 and SLC206 like this.

Icon7

I find it relevant; in an auto it lets you know what gear you're in. In a manual it's interesting to see the balance between fuel usage, road speed and revs and try to keep it within an envelope that reflects road speed and possible variations to engine load.

What I don't like (because I can't erase it!) is the record of how many times the rev limiter has been hit!
    jo proffi, Fingers, 68 404 and 1 others like this.

JBN

I reckon on most modern cars, dispense with all the guages. They mean nothing and most people don't know what to do anyhow. All they need is a fuel guage, or better still a fuel warning message that gets more agitated the lower the fuel goes.

Most people would prefer the dash to be replaced by a smartphone/Google map/Youtube screen. With anti avoidance sensors, this screen could revert to the image of the car in front that they are about to hit in times of emergency.

John
    jaahn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    What I don't like (because I can't erase it!) is the record of how many times the rev limiter has been hit!
    Classic....Has my RX4 got that function.....and how many digits does the memory have 2, 3 or 4 ????..

Jo
    FedGrapes likes this.

I find a tacho very useful, for the reasons outlined by Jo and Addo, and especially useful when towing.

Jo, I admit it is well into double figures and climbing. There's a lot to be said for a "planted" car with ESP...

I find it relevant; in an auto it lets you know what gear you're in. In a manual it's interesting to see the balance between fuel usage, road speed and revs and try to keep it within an envelope that reflects road speed and possible variations to engine load.

What I find most useful is the gear display for the DSG, especially when using paddles to manual changes. Generally I change gear from how the car "feels".

I'd suggest that in many modern high performance DSG/Auto cars a tacho is unnecessary. The computer will decide the maximum allowable revs and override/disallow any "stupid" manual mode gear changes.

Manual cars are different .
    UFO likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Essential on the HDi engines, not much power once you fall under 1500rpm.
    406 HDi

Fellow Frogger!

totally agree that tacho,s are an essential gauge,on diesels especially,still can,t train boss lady not to rev the koleos like the old
    rx4,405sri or r8g for that matter.

JBN

I've always found valve bounce to be the poor man's tacho.

John
    David M likes this.

Icon6

G'day,
    there is always a way, you only have to find it.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Having a tacho is useful on a spirited drive but i find it most useful for figuring out how to get maximum economy because my car is manual.

I will agree it's almost a useless item on an auto though, all you have is the fast button and the slow button and the car won't let you overrev

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by superpug View Post
    ....... I will agree it's almost a useless item on an auto though.....
    aaaaah, not quite, it's an excellent reminder that you've forgotten that the O/D is locked out - the reminder idiot light usually being hidden behind the spokes or microscopic......

cheers,
    Bob

That is true, call me a control freak i like having as much info as i can to be honest my ideal car would have oil pressure, battery voltage, oil temp, AFR, vacuum haha.

My 180 coming with an oil temp gauge was quite a novelty when alot of cars today are being made without even coolant temp and a tiny digital fuel gauge

i like having as much info as i can to be honest my ideal car would have oil pressure, battery voltage, oil temp, AFR, vacuum haha.
    Many of VAG sports oriented vehicle come close. They have a LCD screen, between the tacho and speedo in the cluster.

You can scroll through a bunch of parameter by operating a switch on the combination stalk.

Among the stuff displayed on sequential presses is:

Time outside temp, DSG gear, Road speed, instantaneous fuel usage, distance to empty

Oil temperature, distance to next service, digital temperature display, driving time of last trip, average fuel consumption,

Twin odometer trips , and Alternative speed in different units. Over speed warning

ICE system display of track playing/ incoming number for blue tooth.

You can pretty roll you own display info in the sequential screens.

Of course the MFD is in addition to analogue speedo, tacho and coolant temperature.

There may be other stuff, but I'd need to read the book.

There are also various alarms like door open, low tyre pressure, etc with a most annoying escalating volume warning tone. Haven't had any of those excepct the door.

Yeah I got to drive my mum's golf about 2 weeks ago and I had a field day with the MFD and I must say the Bluetooth system works flawlessly in that car. Not as involving to drive as a PSA vehicle though, i always feel like there's a communication barrier between you the car and the road in VAG vehicles

i always feel like there's a communication barrier between you the car and the road in VAG vehicles
    Depends very much on the model. The standard, comfortline and highline are appliances.

The sports variants are entirely different vehicles and far more engaging to drive.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Many of VAG sports oriented vehicle come close. They have a LCD screen, between the tacho and speedo in the cluster.

You can scroll through a bunch of parameter by operating a switch on the combination stalk.

Among the stuff displayed on sequential presses is:

Time outside temp, DSG gear, Road speed, instantaneous fuel usage, distance to empty

Oil temperature, distance to next service, digital temperature display, driving time of last trip, average fuel consumption,

Twin odometer trips , and Alternative speed in different units. Over speed warning

ICE system display of track playing/ incoming number for blue tooth.

You can pretty roll you own display info in the sequential screens.

Of course the MFD is in addition to analogue speedo, tacho and coolant temperature.

There may be other stuff, but I'd need to read the book.

There are also various alarms like door open, low tyre pressure, etc with a most annoying escalating volume warning tone. Haven't had any of those excepct the door.
    Shit! I hope you have enough time to look at the road and what the traffic is doing.

Dying below the redline hurts just as much as dying above the redline.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Shit! I hope you have enough time to look at the road and what the traffic is doing.

Dying below the redline hurts just as much as dying above the redline.

John
    Actually it's very easy to use . Sensibly programmed you can have all need in a single "screen". In our case speed, dte, odos and oil temp

It's like any car technology you need to know intuitively how to use it before moving off the mark.

Learning whilst driving is formula for disaster.

In the early days I would park the car to find what I needed on the screen. These days it is automatic to scroll through.

Quote Originally Posted by superpug View Post
    That is true, call me a control freak i like having as much info as i can to be honest my ideal car would have oil pressure, battery voltage, oil temp, AFR, vacuum haha.

My 180 coming with an oil temp gauge was quite a novelty when alot of cars today are being made without even coolant temp and a tiny digital fuel gauge
    Mr Control freak, go and see a Tesla. You would love it!
    This is where all cars will head

It only has two buttons inside, one is for the glove box

Everything else is on the display screen

17-inch touchscreen display inside Tesla Model S detailed [video]

It's useless in my VE ute. It's an auto, there is no red line and it over rides any manual gear changes that it does not like.
    But on the other hand, in my wife's VE SS it is quite useful seeing as it is a manual.
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

I have to admit, the tacho in my Polo GTI is kind of superfluous. In the low gears it revs so fast when you boot it that even if I am changing manually with the paddles, I miss the cue and the gearbox shifts for me anyway

eg
    1994 306 S16 Diablo Red
    2007 307 HDI 1.6 Wagon
    2005 Clio 182 F1 #29

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information