Making Things Seem Easy and Creating Disasters
  • Register
  • Help
    JBN

Default Making Things Seem Easy and Creating Disasters

I sell car raffle tickets at shopping centres for a charity. We always have a car on display.

Today, the BMW convertible had a problem with its remote key. The battery is flat. It doesn't work. There is a pull out key that can open the driver's door. It can't open the boot (and there appears to be no internal boot lever). It doesn't allow the push button start to work, because that needs the remote to be inserted into a hole and presumably it talks to the security system and allows the car to be started (no battery, no talk). There doesn't appear to be any receptacle to take the emergency key to allow the vehicle to start.

Took the remote to a key cutter and car remote battery person. Apparently there has been trouble with this remote before as it was glued shut. Once that was overcome, it appears the battery has been soldered to the card!

This is the result of "simplification" of the car for the consumer. In the real old days, that few people remember, cars used to use a button to start them, but in most cases they didn't have locks or security systems or indeed keys. Now the whole operation of an expensive car is dependant upon one small battery in a remote key. Adding further to the woes, the car is a convertible, but the hood can't be raised until the ignition is on (effectively when the remote is inserted into its hole).

Advertisement

What is amazing is the number of ram raids using expensive cars. One dead remote battery and its a case of out running the police on foot.

To really make me happy, my mobile phone went dead, just after the keysmith phoned me to collect the unrepairable remote. I had Vodaphone try to charge it as they were two stores away. I tried it on my charger tonight. No sign of life. That was a $70 Nokia. Its about to be replaced by an $35 Samsung which I am charging now.

I hope my batteries last the night, otherwise this will be my last post.

John

Cue the music.....

I thought I'd better add this:
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I sell car raffle tickets at shopping centres for a charity. We always have a car on display.

Today, the BMW convertible had a problem with its remote key. The battery is flat. It doesn't work. There is a pull out key that can open the driver's door. It can't open the boot (and there appears to be no internal boot lever). It doesn't allow the push button start to work, because that needs the remote to be inserted into a hole and presumably it talks to the security system and allows the car to be started (no battery, no talk). There doesn't appear to be any receptacle to take the emergency key to allow the vehicle to start.

Took the remote to a key cutter and car remote battery person. Apparently there has been trouble with this remote before as it was glued shut. Once that was overcome, it appears the battery has been soldered to the card!

To really make me happy, my mobile phone went dead, just after the keysmith phoned me to collect the unrepairable remote.

John
    so, the car up for raffle is still unmoveable?
    i take it you arent recounting this story to potential ticket buyers?
    i have always wondered how people who acquire cars like this in a raffle actually manage to run them. i would suppose they often couldnt actually afford to get them serviced let alone repaired.

Fellow Frogger!

These flash vehicles displayed at Raffle points in shopping centres are nothing but "bait" to sucker you into buying a ticket.
    Nobody actually ever wins the car on display. Not to my knowledge anyway. Depends on the charity involved I suppose.

JBN

Actually, the car on display is NEVER the prize. Its either owned by the charity (ie registered) and therefore cannot be given as a new car or its loaned by a distributer and is either a demo or new and unregistered (and potentially eligible for a prize).

You are right, it is bait to get people to buy raffle tickets. People do actually win cars. My wife sold a winning ticket for the Easter draw two years ago. Some people need the chance of winning a prize to "donate". Others donate without taking tickets. The latter is common with Muslims as they are not supposed to gamble. Others want receipts for the ATO until told that this is a game-of-chance and is not tax deductible.

The first prize is $80k to spend on cars/caravans/boat/bikes/holidays and $25K of that can be cash. The cash is generally used to top up the big item(s) to exactly $80K. So the winner chooses make/model/colour etc. With young, argumentative couples, I suggest they chose a Holden HSV if they win. That way the bloke gets a beaut weekend's driving and the partner gets the car for the next three months until his licence is resurrected.

Back to the car. It turns out it wasn't the remote. The car batteries are flat. Since the car lives in shopping centres, gets flatbedded wherever it goes, the batteries never get charged. There is rarely a powerpoint nearby to trickle charge them. Raising and lowering the hood on the convertible kills the battery. The engine is always run during this procedure, but it is not well tolerated to run a car in a shopping centre near a food outlet.

The battery is in the boot of the BMW 120i. This cannot be accessed unless the remote is working and this only works if the battery is charged. Catch 22. The driver's door can be manually opened with the manual key slipped inside the remote. This allows one to release the bonnet and one is able to charge/jump start the battery from there. The fact that there is an NRMA tag on the remote is warning that this extremely unusual event occurs quite often.

Anyhow, I have learned of another expansion of BMW - Battery Must Work.

I am still waiting to win my dream home in Queensland.

John

A friend of ours, an elderly lady, won a car worth $25k in a ticketed raffle just last year. She added a few bucks to the prize and chose her own wheels. Not French, sadly.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

UFO

I know of a lady in Dubbo who won a house on the Gold Coast many years ago. As sometimes happens with these things, she was someone who could have bought the house and still had LOTS of change. Ah well, she bought her ticket.

I know of someone who won a BMW some years ago and sold it straight away. I believe proceeds enhanced his classic car collection.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Banned

i know an old lady who swallowed a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    I know a fellow who behaves like a troll.

Banned

rob i thought the unwritten law was that comments like that were supposed to stay in the TP?

rob i thought the unwritten law was that comments like that were supposed to stay in the TP?
    Whilst I'd generally agree this particular case is the pot calling the kettle black.

A nice compromise may be we both delete our posts, in the order they were first posted would seem fair.

Banned

how am i a 'pot' in this case?
    i just made a very light hearted joke in reference to the prior two posts.

unlike some...

i am quite happy to let the unfolding of the drama remain part of internet history, for posterity to evaluate on the basis of morals prevailing a century from now. as it no doubt will.

I know two families who have both won not 1 - but 2 cars apiece from the shopping centre raffles.
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

i just made a very light hearted joke in reference to the prior two posts
    Gee, so did I, why have you got such a thin skin.

What breed of horse as I heard some are more palatable than others ?

1000+ Posts

so, the car up for raffle is still unmoveable?
    i take it you arent recounting this story to potential ticket buyers?
    i have always wondered how people who acquire cars like this in a raffle actually manage to run them. i would suppose they often couldnt actually afford to get them serviced let alone repaired.
    New cars come with a good warranty these days and capped servicing (maybe not the BM?)

We got a Megane with every which electronic malacky. Proximity key a la BM is one. The 5 year full warranty and capped service cost ameliorate my deep concerns about lurking potential problems.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    What breed of horse as I heard some are more palatable than others ?
    it was a Sainsbury, i believe....
    Last edited by alexander; 1st February 2015 at 03:01 AM.

Icon6

G'day,
    I don't know anyone.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Hmmm interesting......

There is a superabundance of horsetripe floating around these parts.....

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    There is a superabundance of horsetripe floating around these parts.....
    G'day,
    some of it is sticking.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Thread Information