Should caravans, (wheelbarrows, & hose reels) be eligible for club plates?
  • Register
  • Help

View Poll Results: What vehicles should be eligible for club plates?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classic original cars and trucks only in good to great condition

8 40.00%
  • All vehicles including caravans, boat trailers, farm utes etc

12 60.00%
  • Classic cars with wild mods (such as V8/rotary in 4 cylinder chassis)

2 10.00%
  • Original classic cars with safety mods only (seatbelts, better brakes, etc)

6 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By 68 404
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By StephenH

Thread: Should caravans, (wheelbarrows, & hose reels) be eligible for club plates?

Default Should caravans, (wheelbarrows, & hose reels) be eligible for club plates?

Wow, we haven't had a poll in ages!

Was joking about the wheelbarrows and hose reels...

In light of the legislative changes happening in Victoria to the club plate scheme, what is your opinion?

Dave

Advertisement
    Last edited by 68 404; 20th January 2015 at 06:49 PM.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Ok, I've voted.

Your turn

Dave
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Now your talking interesting. You know, this one is very difficult. If we say "original only" ... that makes it very difficult. This is why it take so much effort to make a usable scheme.

What is original in a 70year old car Do we know who built it? Chassis were often made by a manufacturer, the a body maker would make the body somewhere. Ok, so we allow "period modifications" so we don't rule out 99.9% of the vintage cars. Now where do we draw the line.

Pre-1940's is possibly easy... allow any period modication... Now what about upto the 70's ... it doesn't get easier. Original, that would mean no braking modifications, no seat belts and cross ply tires. What if the wheezy old 161 in the FJ has been upgraded to a whopping power triple carb 186 back in the 70's. Now we have a car that's been travelling the roads in it's current guise for 30years.... Is it suddenly in now way eligable for a permit... even if it's a one owner car from new.

Here's another to get you thinking. My brother inlaw has a 1940's ford. Originaly it was a flathead V8. Back in the late 60's the flathead was absolutely buggered, so it was upgraded to a 60's era 350 V8. I think it was updated to disc brake front in the 70's when they were available. Now this car has been driving the roads for nearly 50years like this. It won't have been engineered as that didn't exist in the 60's. Can it go on a club permit. It's an 75 year old car with 50 year old period "enhancements".... arguably it's a far safer car than a standard one.

Caravan and trailers ..... It's the same cost so irrelivant. If someone wants matching plates on there vintage car and caravan, go for it !!!

remember the cost is bascially the same amount ... but they are restricting themselves to 90days a year use instead of 365 just so the numberplates match the towcar. I wanted to paint up the caravan to match the cars here ... but my wife wanted the original blue, so I stuck with that.

Don't forget buses trucks and farm machinary too ... who are we too say someone that loves there old fergi for example can't put it on a permit. Just because someones interests are different to ours doesn't mean they should be excluded.

I've seen quite a few lovely old busses and trucks on club permits. Don't forget motorbikes either.... Everyone has different interests. I LOVE driving around everytime the sun comes out lately. It's like a huge town wide classic car meet as all these cars appear out of the woodwork. Take a look at the "cars and coffee ballarat" facebook group. It's incredible the cars that are out there now cruising the streets. This scheme is the biggest success you could ever imagine.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    David M and dogboy like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Icon14 O.k.

voted.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Here's another to get you thinking. My brother inlaw has a 1940's ford. Originaly it was a flathead V8. Back in the late 60's the flathead was absolutely buggered, so it was upgraded to a 60's era 350 V8..
    A 350? In a Ford? Sacrilege

Dave
    Fingers likes this.
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    A 350? In a Ford? Sacrilege

Dave
    you know I could be wrong... but whatever it is, it'll have multiples of the power of the original flathead.. maybe 351/302, but you get the idea ( actually probably chev ... in the 60's wouldn't they have been way more available ?).

THe reason he knows this is someone recognised the car when he took it too a local car show and said "I built this thing back it the 60's .... she's still around ",
    68 404 likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

BTW: I firmly believe we need to cater for the heavily modified/hotrod crowd too. These are a truly limited use ( useless ) vehicle. The "M" plate being implemented should have this nailed. It sounds like they'll need an engineer to eyeball it and make sure it's safe... but not be a fully engineered hot rod (if that makes sense).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

My truck - still in progress: Original 1963 Irrational Harvester body and chassis, tray back (because a good tub is trs difficile to find), new safety rims on original centres, modern radial tyres with a load rating of 99, Borg-Warner diff out a P-76 (I think), 1970s IH 345 engine with aftermarket ignition and tweaked Quadrajet spinning a NP435 gearbox with floor shift. Boosted tandem master cylinder off a Benz, electric fuel pump with return line, all re-plumbed in cunifer, Benz PAS pump with Toyota box, reversed eyes on front springs, rears lowered to the max (no chassis notching). Original 12" drums on front.

Do you think it's a hot rod, or just a vehicle that's undergone running modifications over its lifetime?
    dogboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    My truck - still in progress: Original 1963 Irrational Harvester body and chassis, tray back (because a good tub is trs difficile to find), new safety rims on original centres, modern radial tyres with a load rating of 99, Borg-Warner diff out a P-76 (I think), 1970s IH 345 engine with aftermarket ignition and tweaked Quadrajet spinning a NP435 gearbox with floor shift. Boosted tandem master cylinder off a Benz, electric fuel pump with return line, all re-plumbed in cunifer, Benz PAS pump with Toyota box, reversed eyes on front springs, rears lowered to the max (no chassis notching). Original 12" drums on front.

Do you think it's a hot rod, or just a vehicle that's undergone running modifications over its lifetime?
    See what i mean .... you know I'm truly buggered if I know .... if it passes a roadworthy I imagine most clubs would be happy. After all how would they know exactly original is ... you just need to shift to victoria so you can actually drive it occasionally. Just remember, you can't use it for commercial purposes .... which would suck if you owned an old truck or commercial vehicle

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

If I ever finish the bastard it will be the "Frog Rescue" tow vehicle, operated on a not-for-profit basis.

Two things Addo...
    1, I can't see a problem with NSW club rego (M plate is coming)
    2, haven't you seen the spare IH tub I have?

Icon7

1. My fault, I had not paid attention to the incoming plate variants.
    2. I haven't paid you for the tub so cannot claim it. The Spitfire is sending me broke this quarter.

1000+ Posts

See? Adam is a Hoarder. Over/'up' here we only have Classic-Antique-and 'Special-Interest' Vechicle Insurance. Although some Companies do have 'Modified Vechicle' schemes covering Engine Swaps/Chassis modifications/Rollbars/'Cages.

Happy to see the old Tractor,boat,plane,scooter,truck,caravan,steam roller or any type of vehicle on club plates... Historic and special interest vehicles will not be preserved if there is no incentive to keep them going....a static display just won't cut it...
    I'm with Shane on this one...
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
    Two things Addo...
    1, I can't see a problem with NSW club rego (M plate is coming)
    2, haven't you seen the spare IH tub I have?
    NSW historic registration is way too restrictive. I would have preferred that NSW went with the Vic style scheme, but it was emotion and fear of "plastic cars" (IMHO) that ruled the CCMVC and Bush Council to reject a change.

I put the D back on full rego (ouch!) so that I could drive it when and where I like and I still probably drive it less than 45 days a year - but 45 days that I choose and do not need to comply with restrictions.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

To paraphrase the mercurial Freddy...

I want to drive my Cit-ro-n,
    I want to drive my car
    I want to drive my Cit-ro-n,
    I want to drive it near and far

Incidentally, the CCCNSW position of supporting the current scheme, is one reason I changed clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    NSW historic registration is way too restrictive. I would have preferred that NSW went with the Vic style scheme, but it was emotion and fear of "plastic cars" (IMHO) that ruled the CCMVC and Bush Council to reject a change.

I put the D back on full rego (ouch!) so that I could drive it when and where I like and I still probably drive it less than 45 days a year - but 45 days that I choose and do not need to comply with restrictions.
    There you go ... See, more poeple that think they *personally* should be able to decide who and what is allowed on the scheme. So if I grew up sitting in the back seat of a Citroen CX with plastic bumpers.... because some old bunch of fuddy duddies think that car doesn't mean anything too them, it's not allowed.

Don't worry, these people will die off in time and we won't have to worry about them. It's sad really as there probably very passionate about the scheme and have likely put years of there lives into the vintage car scene and were probably instrumental in the original permit scheme being created.

All these old clubs set in there way ... No-one can be bothered with there bullshit. The average age of quite a few car clubs would be in the 80's .... They'll cease too exist unless they can attract some younger people. Which will never happen given there attitudes.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

My question is where is the selection for: Classic cars with mild mods (consistent with period)

You can guess what I would 'tick'.
    My actual example is my 69 Europa with a warm 16TS motor, consistent to the period and hardly wild or inherently unsafe because of the engine upgrade. The rest of the mods are safety related or for comfort.

You're a right danger, you are.

Agree 100% about mods like that, what about the EHs, XPs etc which within ten years of being made were getting about with extractors, Waggot cams and fatties?
    Fingers likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
    My question is where is the selection for: Classic cars with mild mods (consistent with period)

You can guess what I would 'tick'.
    My actual example is my 69 Europa with a warm 16TS motor, consistent to the period and hardly wild or inherently unsafe because of the engine upgrade. The rest of the mods are safety related or for comfort.
    It's not that easy ... define "mild" for me. What if it's a 6cylinder that was updated to 8cylinder spec back in the 70's ... it's not original, but possibly identical to a V8 model originally sold.

Now imagine hundreds of people having there own input in a discussion forum on club permit changes ... all firmly believe there own opinions are right .... just try and get any sort of consensus. From there own point of view, everyone is right .... or wrong in what they think should be allowed.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    ... all firmly believe there own opinions are right .... just try and get any sort of consensus.
    More than a few hundred have been discussing this for months in various forums, club meetings, bars, events.....
    However, we don't need consensus, because I'm right and those that don't agree with me are wrong

I still say the real issue is Vicroads didn't put much effort (or maybe just common sense) into checking compliance with the previous scheme. If they did you wouldn't have V8 engined 'Lotus 7's and the like running around on club plates (which I certainly don't agree with).
    addo likes this.

Thread Information