RE002 195 50 15 tyres
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By 4cvg

Thread: RE002 195 50 15 tyres

Default RE002 195 50 15 tyres

just heads up incase anyone was looking at getting tyres soon.

Bridgestone are doing these for $130 a corner now. Which is really cheap. I've yet to check what year they are (come Monday).

My 206 wheels 205/45/16 which i chucked on last april year were week 11 2014, so fresh as hell equated to $128 a corner but there was a special at the time.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

But they aren't really good in the wet.
    Made me go into the park backwards - not my fault , tyres shit, road very wet, surface really smooth. Anyway, locals tell me that quite a few cars spin there but they usually hit the pole. I didn't. Maybe they are going too slow?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RE002 195 50 15 tyres-img_0644.jpg  
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Fellow Frogger!

I got a Bridgestone deal last year where it was buy 3 get the 4th free. I think it equated to around $90 per corner for 15" 195/55. But then there was another $90 to get solid centre 306 Cyclones balanced elsewhere as they couldnt do it.

Agreed they aren't the best in the wet, but not too bad. I haven't experienced oversteer in the wet since I put them on but anything had to be better than the crappy Goodyears that were previously on the rear.
    1998 N5 306 XSi

1000+ Posts

Try hankook ptimo

1000+ Posts

Note that the just released RE003 is reported by Bloggers who were invited to a pre-release drive against some competition tyres (PZero Rosso, Michelin PS3 & Conti SC5, for instance) to be much improved in the wet. Given that the SC5 is a rainmaster, it was particular impressive that the RE003 was considered to be as good in the wet. The SC5 was chosen as the wet driving test rival for the RE003, so it was a nice bit of bravery on Bridgestone's part. (Some of the other matchings seemed a case of putting in rivals which were chosen as weak on the parameter in question.)

A "4 for the price of 3" deal operates until the end of April.

cheers! Peter

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    But they aren't really good in the wet.
    Made me go into the park backwards - not my fault , tyres shit, road very wet, surface really smooth. Anyway, locals tell me that quite a few cars spin there but they usually hit the pole. I didn't. Maybe they are going too slow?
    i see the problem ... not so much the tires as someone stuck the engine in the wrong end of your car It might pay to fix that
    27of85 likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

This is Australia, the driest inhabited continent on the planet.
    Why the fixation on wet weather tyres.
    Maybe they're needed in the wet season in the tropics but everywhere else??
    This isn't Europe or North America where they're getting rain or snow half the year.
    On the few days it does rain then slow down.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    This isn't Europe or North America where they're getting rain or snow half the year.
    One never knows when you will encounter water on the road.
    Flooded drain, as you come round a corner, too late to slow down
    I prefer having everything working in my favour including the best possible wet weather tyres

Will have to go back to following a bloke carrying a red flag checking for wet roads

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    i see the problem ... not so much the tires as someone stuck the engine in the wrong end of your car It might pay to fix that
    No way do i prefer wrong wheel drive. As mentioned, others (most likely wrong wheel drives) hit the pole i missed by quite a margin With the RE003 it wouldn't have come to that judging by the above?
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Fine for controlled & planned driving (have a slower fang would work even with cheap Chinese Deathmaster Slipquick GTs).

But: it seems to me to be irrational not to want tyres on your side in two unplanned & potentially lethal (not automatically with you as the potential corpse) events. These are the emergency dodge & the emergency brake.

Note that good grip in most wet conditions is not automatically at odds with good grip & handling tautness in dry conditions.

Distinguish two aspects of wet grip: avoiding aquaplaning & cutting through the final water film.

Avoiding aquaplaning is a matter of the large channels accommodating & clearing standing water in the contact area. Too much such void in the wrong places & one can have block instability &, for that matter, not enough block, & degrade dry handling crispness & grip. Aquaplaning avoidance is not, I allow, much of an issue at legal speeds (or moderately illegal ones) on public roads. Most sports tyres sold in Australia have to allow for high speed wet autobahn work & overdo the channel volume for Australian conditions.

Of more significance in Australia is film rupture. This is achieved in two ways. One is by use of sipes (the small "knife cut" slits in tread blocks). Sipe edges cut the film & allow micro prominences in the road surface to enter the slit & mechanically interlock. So, a good thing except that if lots are present (think all season or snow tyres), then they make the tread blocks unstable & distortable & detract from handling crispness & dry grip. The other way is compounding. A softer compound distorts & allows the above mechanical interlocking by micro prominences in the road pushing into the tread. This is good for wet grip but also good for dry grip.

So, for a good wet gripping tyre that will also handle crisply & grip in the dry, the tread part of the story is to look for a soft-compound (low DOT tread-wear rating numbers are a rough guide), large interlinked tread blocks on the shoulder with less than usual large channeling & little siping, more drainage on the inside with some continuous ribs between the longitudinal channels & some lateral channeling & greater use of sipes in the blocks perhaps (not in a very high speed rating type as sipes also generate heat from block flexing).

Pretty much what the RE003 has had done to it.

cheers! Peter
    cjl likes this.

General tyre enquiry.
    Anyone tried the Primacy ST from Michelin. The reviews are pretty positive.

1000+ Posts

It all depends on one's priorities. The ST is designed to be quiet, comfortable & economical. The trade-off for this is a soggy structure & diminished grip in the wet. If you want Michelin Primacy tyres, then the Primacy 3 is tauter in response & "wet-grippier". But, depending on the size you are after, I think that better options than the 3 would exist on those criteria.

cheers! Peter

Thread Information