• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gerry freed
  • 1 Post By Uffee

Thread: Three pot engines

1000+ Posts

Default Three pot engines

Interesting article on the PSA 3 cylinder turbo engines that are replacing the 1.6 4 cyl naturally aspirated engines.
    Features - Automotive Engineer

Like the cars, the engines are getting more complex.

Advertisement

SAAB had a 3 pot 2stroke not a bad car but it had its problems.
    Tony

1000+ Posts

Very handy for a quick getaway, as nobody can see which way you went in the smoke screen that you are laying down.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Most of the problems besting the SAAB two stroke triple have been addressed by Evinrude in their E-Tec engines for boats and snowmobiles.
    Expect to see a return of direct-injected two strokes.
    The one area that they have inherent superiority is in lower Oxides of Nitrogen levels produced.
    Watch this space.....

We first met a 3 pot engine in Yo's Daihatsu Cuore, 15 years ago. It was a very smooth economical little unit.

That article leads me to point out again the difficulty of occasional or recreational mechanics working on modern engines. You can't take a "she'll be right attitude with the torques around the block and head" or attempt any replacements around the cylinder bore/piston/ring territory. How about an assembly mistake on a turbo whose rotor is thinking of spinning at 270,000rpm?

Fortunately these modern engines outlast the car, thanks to recycled plastics and so engine recons are a thing of the past. If it breaks - chuck it.
    almostfrench likes this.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

1000+ Posts

It's as well then they last Gerry. Most dealerships have no more in the way of engine tooling than I do.

Though it's now a long time since things like my ring compressors got much work. I haven't used the exhaust gas sniffer in a decade I think. There's a large shelf full of tools and equipment unused but too good to discard - a bit like owning old cars I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by 27of85 View Post
    Very handy for a quick getaway, as nobody can see which way you went in the smoke screen that you are laying down.
    Modern two stokes run 50:1 petrol : oil. That 20ml oil per litre of fuel.

I use the 50:1 Stihl line trimmer mix in the 4 stroke mower.

I've never seen the "smoke screen" you talk about.

Two strokes do not need petrol and oil (petroil)mixed for lubrication. The GM engine featured in a resto thread here recently is a two stroke but runs a conventional pressure lubrication system. Any modern two stroke will do the same to reduce pollution.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Two strokes do not need petrol and oil (petroil)mixed for lubrication. The GM engine featured in a resto thread here recently is a two stroke but runs a conventional pressure lubrication system. Any modern two stroke will do the same to reduce pollution.
    Is that the "GM" engine that was developed by Orbital in Perth using their proprietary direct injection system, bought by GM and then shelved? It was a cracker of an engine.

1000+ Posts

No, the resto thread showed an old Detroit Diesel. A General Motors concern back then, but Daimler today.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Is that the "GM" engine that was developed by Orbital in Perth using their proprietary direct injection system, bought by GM and then shelved? It was a cracker of an engine.
    As per Seasink's reply, except Sarich's fuel injection system from the Orbital engine was licenced to Mercury outboards and other manufacturers and I believe it is is still current.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Righto. I've seen the 2 litre inline 6 cylinder 2 stroke wet sump direct injection motor they built on a stand, from all accounts it was a honey to drive. I remember them selling the rights but it never went anywhere.

Orbital are still sort of surviving off their licensing deals, but they do lots of cool stuff too. Alas they may not survive the globalisation of the car industry.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Interesting article on the PSA 3 cylinder turbo engines...
    1.4 bar boost, 200 bar multiple injection, the distinction between petrols and diesels is continually erroding.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Quote Originally Posted by Uffee View Post
    1.4 bar boost, 200 bar multiple injection, the distinction between petrols and diesels is continually erroding.
    They are already exceeding.....

Three pot engines-capture.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    They are already exceeding.....
    I didn't mean from a performance point of view, petrol should always be in front given the richest a diesel can run is around 18:1 whereas a petrol is 14:1.

I meant 'architecturally'. Eg:
    - Compression ratios for diesels are coming down whilst petrols are going up. You can have a ferrari with 13.5:1 whilst Toyota have a diesel in development with a ratio of 14:1.
    - Petrols are moving towards high pressure direct injection (this is the first time I've heard of multiple injections)
    - Petrols being extensively turbocharged.
    - In this specific case, the materials engineering is being inherited from what's in the diesels.
    Kim Luck likes this.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Thread Information