Bug Remover
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Bug Remover

Default Bug Remover

Help! Can any one suggest a bug remover that really works .... and leaves the paint on the car!

When one is storming across the wide open spaces of this country at scarcely legal speeds the insects not only smear the front of the car in large numbers but they tend to bake on ... and make removal very difficult.

As my pride and joy gets this type of treatment regularly I need a bug remover, or a method, that really works.

Advertisement

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

JY

UFO

I have a can of Innox, which I recall states it is good for bug removal and prevention. Read the label, try a test spot.

Innox is like a new type of WD40 only without the thin oil component.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

In addition to the above, you can get a sponge encased in a mesh that helps ping off the bugs with relative ease. I've just presoaked the area and then used the sponge dipped in suds to remove the buggies. You can apply pressure with out damaging the duco.

Warm water helps too.

The sponge encased in mesh can be got from Super Cheap Autos, Kmart and probably elsewhere. About 6 bucks.

Cheers .. Nick

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick I
    Warm water helps too.

Cheers .. Nick

i always use warm water for the cars

they get goose bumps and shiver with cold water
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Warm water and car wash is your first step. Then I'd recommend getting a clay pack from mother's. That's a very safe way of removing them. Don't pick with your fingers!

Many thanks for the ideas ... very much appreciated. Especially the bit about avoiding goose bumps for the car .... after all I don't want to be cruel to my car.

Thanks again,

JY

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    i always use warm water for the cars

they get goose bumps and shiver with cold water
    Oh my, is this why my car shy's away from getting a wash?
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Living in the country, I regularly find that fragrant grasshopper paste smeared all over the front of my vehicle. While it keeps the local bird population well-fed while the car is parked, I find it tends to damage the paint after a while. What works for me is to park in the shade, wet the front of the car, give it a good dousing in "Spray and Wipe" or similar, let it soak in for a bit then wash it off with a soft car brush.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

Banned

prepsol is the best stuff for the bugs and all the other grimy road tar you get.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Dunno what you guys are worried about ...

Me ?? I tend to leave a protective coating of dust/mud/dirt/bugs/tree sap/bird sh!t on my car to ensure the sun doesn't fade the paint

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Since it rained...and then forgot to stop I'm finding a massive increase in bugs and for some reason, they seem to be stickier than they used to be; has anyone else noticed that? I wonder if it's the extra juice in the plants they eat and I was having major hassles getting them off until I got real radical.....and it worked.
    Neat CT18 applied over all the area affected using a nice soft car wash brush. Leave sit for a few minutes, agitate with the brush and then just wash the lot off with a normal car wash sponge. After the initial treatment, I find that if the area concerned is given a coat of polish as soon as the area dries, there are no signs of where the CT18 has been (such as where the polish has been washed off) and the bugs seem to not stick as hard for a while therefore not requiring these "desperado" tactics for quite some time.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by JY Dog
    Help! Can any one suggest a bug remover that really works .... and leaves the paint on the car!

When one is storming across the wide open spaces of this country at scarcely legal speeds the insects not only smear the front of the car in large numbers but they tend to bake on ... and make removal very difficult.

As my pride and joy gets this type of treatment regularly I need a bug remover, or a method, that really works.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

JY
    hey JY, you could try one of those strange "car Bra" things..a kind of vinyl front cover that straps on the front...it stops everything from getting onto the paint...people, bugs, even the sun...and stops sandblasting too.
    just a thought.
    Cheers....George.

Thread Information