308 Engine Coolant temp
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 308 Engine Coolant temp

Hi all. I have a 2011 308 with a 1.6L petrol engine. Recently the engine temperature gauge started behaving erratically going from normal to redline in one or two seconds with the engine management warning light coming on with STOP. As quick as the gauge goes up it also goes back to normal. A visual of the engine bay sees the radiator an acceptable temperature, radiator hoses seem ok, not hard from over pressure and the overflow tank a normal level with no boiling/steam. Also as expected the fans kick in to actually make the radiator element cool to touch. My thoughts are the temperature sensor is U/S. Got a new sensor and went to replace it, presumed it to be on the thermostat/radiator hose housing that Peurgeot call the (Engine Water Outlet Tank). Could not find the sensor and it looks like the sensor may be integral to the housing as an electrial connector plugs into the housing. Is this the case for the AU 308 that the complete housing needs changing if the sensor is gone.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Is that the EP6C motor? It has a thermostat device built-in.
    308 Engine Coolant temp-water-housing.jpg308 Engine Coolant temp-ep6c-water-outlet.jpeg

ps: here's a collection of 'em, inc a 308 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/peugeot-20...mostat-housing
    Last edited by seasink; 24th December 2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: ps

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Is that the EP6C motor? It has a thermostat device built-in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water housing.jpg 
Views:	16890 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	64214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ep6c water outlet.jpeg 
Views:	23347 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	64215

ps: here's a collection of 'em, inc a 308 - Peugeot 207 Thermostat Housing | eBay

The plastic garden hose and clamps do nothing for me. If it is a blanking off device there are better ways. Blanking caps are available from Repco etc.

1000+ Posts

Not my doing. It's the only photo I found online looking into the valve.

Tadpole

Yes EP6C engine. But do believe now the thermostat is stuck and its not the sensor. Unfortunately its $260 to buy and is the complete housing in one unit

1000+ Posts

The UK Ebay firm, Neat Car Parts, is half that price. I don't what the freight charge would be, but you could be well in front.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    Yes EP6C engine. But do believe now the thermostat is stuck and its not the sensor. Unfortunately its $260 to buy and is the complete housing in one unit
    I'd be a bit suspicious about a diagnosis that a stuck thermostat would cause the temperature gauge to go from normal to redline in "one or two seconds".

Still if the outlet tank contains both the thermostat and the temp sensor, it doesn't really matter
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information