How to lose spare parts customers
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: How to lose spare parts customers

Default How to lose spare parts customers

Start by asking them the car's VIN.

All I wanted today was a fuego water pump, r25 timing belt, a r19 front wheel bearing and a scenic rx4 steering tie rod end, + a couple of oil filters each for a fuego and a r19/scenic.

After 6 minutes on the phone to EAI, I'd managed to get nowhere and listen to 4 minutes of crap 80's music, and despite their computer system that requires a frig'n vin (they assume I have the car or the vin in my possession....I dont even have a VIN for a r25 and the r19 is miles away),when I did speak to a sales guy he still couldn't tell me there and then if they had the part...and that was only for the first part of many on the list.
    Bugger that. Might as well get the parts from a dealer if I wanted it to be that difficult.

After 6 min of getting nowhere on just the first part of many, I politely told them to not bother phoning back, this wasn't working at all.

Called Caravelle, who's staff accept 'renault fuego water pump' or 'R19 front wheel bearing' as a part description.

Advertisement

Maybe EAI are doing too well to want to deal with small players like me who use part descriptions and not part numbers and only spend a couple of thousand a year on spare parts for the renaults in my care.

Alternatively, maybe I'm just getting old and inflexible and cant be bothered to adjust to the new way of doing things.
    Back in the old days ...........

Jo

Icon6

G'day Jo,
    perhaps they ask for the VIN because some people have no idea when asking for parts.
    Maybe it is for the staff benefit, because they don't know. A lot of forum posters, AF and others have noted that they prefer to talk to the old blokes at the shop, because they know things.
    Off on a tangent...I bought a badge from the local bike shop. $12-00, I tendered a$20-00 note, and the sales girl had to use a calculator to work out the change.
    I think that modern people, is that gen Z or Y or whatever, have no idea. Everything is fed to them by machines.

p.s.

is there going to be a AF BBQ next Australia Day ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Re BBQ, Yes, I should hope so.

Jo

Icon6

G'day,
    should I bring the bread rolls? Will 30 be enough ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    should I bring the bread rolls? Will 30 be enough ?
    Sure thing.
    You can never have too much bread at a BBQ.
    Lets wait until a bit closer to lock down numbers.

Might have to start a new thread.

Jo
    Kenfuego likes this.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post

Might have to start a new thread.

Jo
    No, stay on this one. By the way did anyone see that thing on the news tonight about the doovy that the mate broke and then stuck together and oh it was so funny.

Ooh look - a kitten.
    addo likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon6

G'day,
    did the 2014 BBQ ever happen ?

2014 Aussiefrogs BBQ
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Then there is the other side of the coin.
    The software used at the counter by Repco has a number of search options.
    Search by VIN is one of the more recent additions.
    Another option is to use key words and year.
    The original search involved entering a whole raft of parameters and selecting options.
    This took quite some time and some of the questions were irrelevant to the customers vehicle.
    None of the methods are foolproof and often a good parts interpreter is needed.
    When I applied for a part time job at Repco I was the successful applicant despite being past retirement age.
    None of the other 20 applicants had any automotive experience.

Paul.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by 504-504-504 View Post
    Then there is the other side of the coin.
    When I applied for a part time job at Repco I was the successful applicant despite being past retirement age.
    None of the other 20 applicants had any automotive experience.
    Paul.
    A lot of forum posters, AF and others have noted that they prefer to talk to the old blokes at the shop, because they know things.
    G'day,
    there you go.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Re the change for a twenty, it's sadly too often that I tender a "neat" surplus to a checkout operator and they look surprised when the change is exactly $10 or $7, or whatever - instead of having to make up $11.45 in change or whatever it may be...
    FedGrapes likes this.

JBN

My mind just flashed back to the late Yong Wong of AutoFrance. His knowledge was so good, he even gave hints on how to fit the part.

John
    UFO and alhantos like this.

We once interviewed a bright young thing for a job as check-out chick at a discount store called "The Liquidator" in Melbourne. As part of the test, she was given a list of coins and notes to add up. She failed on one line: 19 x 10 cent pieces. When quizzed on how she got it wrong she replied she never learned her 19 times tables.....
    UFO and alhantos like this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Nobody compares to Yong Wong. He knew his vast collection by heart, and was a gentleman to boot. He had an astonishing memory - he once told me of some dealings with my by then late father some 30+ years before.

My only experience with EAI on two occasions has been that even with VIN numbers they have sent me the wrong parts and I'm only referring to basic service items ie filters etc. On both occasions they remedied the situation and mailed the replacement parts. Meanwhile vehicle was off the road; all because someone made a dumb mistake...............

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Re the change for a twenty, it's sadly too often that I tender a "neat" surplus to a checkout operator and they look surprised when the change is exactly $10 or $7, or whatever - instead of having to make up $11.45 in change or whatever it may be...

They are surprised because they are trying to figure out how you were able to use the calculator with them see it.

Next time you should tell them that your sunglasses have heads up display and your calculator/computer is voice activated.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

the dealers are staring to condition customers too... I ve had at least 3 instances this week where customers wanted a part but didnt know any other details... Eg toyota camry... what year? model? engine type? etc etc... They figure if they give you the vin you ll know everything... problem is that vin isnt always definitive (oscar)... I still like using old skool catalogues... modern programs are "ok" for people who dont know cars (beginners tool) but a good parts interpreter needs just a basic description and will often know part numbers by heart... Vin id has its place but its frustrating when you are expected to know it as if its the same as you CC number or DL number... and then if you ve got a few cars...meh
    Jo... use your phone... take a pic of the vin and you ll always have it with you...

dino

UFO

Quoting your VIN is like knowing your blood type. Builds of a vehicle can be so specific and referenced these days that it is valuable to ensure you have the correct parts sent. I have used EAI (including when the Yong trained Martin was there) and quoted VINs and have never received an incorrect part.
    FedGrapes likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Totally agree Dino, many customers must drive spare parts staff mental. In my experience with EAI , I had all the info model, year etc and VIN
    cheers
    Marc

G'day Jo,
    perhaps they ask for the VIN because some people have no idea when asking for parts.
    Maybe it is for the staff benefit, because they don't know. A lot of forum posters, AF and others have noted that they prefer to talk to the old blokes at the shop, because they know things.
    For sure, some people have no idea what part they need when asking for it. But some people do know what they want, and if you've got a transplanted engine with no VIN anymore, and you just want a water pump, there needs to be a way to buy that from a company. At which point it becomes the person who can't make the sale the weak link in the chain.

Off on a tangent...I bought a badge from the local bike shop. $12-00, I tendered a$20-00 note, and the sales girl had to use a calculator to work out the change.
    I think that modern people, is that gen Z or Y or whatever, have no idea. Everything is fed to them by machines.
    Plenty of stupid people in every generation. I just like to think they die off before getting old. Wishful thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by FedGrapes View Post
    For sure, some people have no idea what part they need when asking for it. But some people do know what they want, and if you've got a transplanted engine with no VIN anymore, and you just want a water pump, there needs to be a way to buy that from a company. At which point it becomes the person who can't make the sale the weak link in the chain.

Well said.

I reckon I might try this 'new way' of doing business in my field of work.

Next time, on the bandstand and someone comes up and asks for Brown Eye'd Girl or summer of '69, I'll tell them I'll need the publisher and catalogue number to proceed any further.

Then when they provide that information, I'll then ask for their phone number by which I can contact them to tell them whether or not we actually play either of those tunes.

What could possibly be simpler????

Jo

Smoke on the Water?
    StephineS, Kenfuego and Fingers like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Next time, on the bandstand and someone comes up and asks for Brown Eye'd Girl or summer of '69, I'll tell them I'll need the publisher and catalogue number to proceed any further.

Then when they provide that information, I'll then ask for their phone number by which I can contact them to tell them whether or not we actually play either of those tunes.
    I play in a 12 piece band; we have 6 horns. We often get song requests, and then the funny look when we say "we can't do that one without a few weeks notice".

Lucky for us, we already have Brown Eyed Girl. Send the business on if you get a request, Jo?

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    My mind just flashed back to the late Yong Wong of AutoFrance. His knowledge was so good, he even gave hints on how to fit the part.

John
    Sounds like Hayden & Shinny at Pugwreck in Melbourne.

I reckon Jo might be out of step with the army..... : )

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by FedGrapes View Post
    Plenty of stupid people in every generation. I just like to think they die off before getting old. Wishful thinking?
    G'day,
    yup. Look at me, I'm still kicking.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information