• Help
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Haakon
  • 1 Post By Fordman
  • 5 Post By pgti6
  • 1 Post By JBN

Thread: Collecting Oz spec cars in Europe and bringing home

Default Collecting Oz spec cars in Europe and bringing home

Does anyone know if it's still possible to collect new Australian spec cars in Europe, use for a little while there and bring home?

Advertisement

And then presumably get the importer to comply as if it were brought in new.

I know this could be done years ago, but that before the private import rules went silly. Don't plan on spending a year there otherwise of course I'd buy a UK car there.

Toying with the notion of a new Kangoo, and am spending some time in Europe next year - would be fun to use it a while there first.
    Last edited by Haakon; 15th December 2014 at 10:20 PM.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

The short and simple answer to the first question is no.

JBN

The more complex answer is DON'T.

It makes far more sense to have a left hand drive car in Europe and a right hand car in Australia.

The only advantage (considering all the grief to get any car from Europe to Australia) is perhaps you save some money. Get over it. If you buy a car purely to save money, you are buying it for the wrong reasons and will probably end up with a more expensive result.

John

In Qld at least, they generally wont register LHD car unless it is at least 30 yrs old. NSW seems to be the same:-

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...si-40-rev1.pdf
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

If I had the opportunity, I would buy a top of the range fully loaded (which means basic stuff by our standards, but enough, most importantly, decent A/C) diesel Logan MCV (you can get them RHD in UK) and bring it here. 1.5DCi, engine is a diesel used in Meganes? Clios? whatever, so you can get everything (hopefully) here though I don't think there will be any problems with the engines. They have done taxi duties in Europe with great success and have not shown any problems over intergalactic mileage. they're not that old yet, and a decent s/h would probably be around the 3000$ mark which if you think about it is less than shipping cost.

They are an extremely useful and practical car with large carrying capacity, exceptional fuel economy, comfortable ride and good handling.

And of course, you can buy a left hand drive one (more choice) and convert cheaply to RHD when here (just get whatever you need from UK breakers and stick it in the boot before shipping down).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

These days Aus specs [design rules] and Euro specs are no different apart from RHD /LHD ,but currently Aus cars need a compliance plate fitted by the maker .This may change when local manufacture stops here ,and import rules may ease a bit .

I think Haakon is asking whether he can pick up an AU spec Kangoo in France, drive it around for a bit and then bring it home and register it...
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

These might be worth a read

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...erVehicles.pdf

the above documents refers one ot the following pages:-

Importing Vehicles into Australia
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Yeah, assumed it was too much brain damage these days. Oh well.

I want one with a tailgate which pretty much means a new one ordered. Although I should wait and see if Renault decides to import the 1.2 tce petrol version - the old 1.6 motor is a bit underdone in the kangoo...

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    I think Haakon is asking whether he can pick up an AU spec Kangoo in France, drive it around for a bit and then bring it home and register it...
    That's right - a car always intended to come here, ordered here for ultimate use here. Essentially borrow it for a while after the factory and before it's shipped...

Plus there are any number of cool camper fitout kits in Europe I could get fitted while I have it there. But still happy to get creative and knock something up.
    Kenfuego likes this.

You are correct that it used to be quite common and possible, but I think that all went out the window when import duties were reduced.

I worked at the WA Merc distibutor in the late 1970's, it was an official MB purchase option called "Tourist Delivery". The car was ordered in Aust spec by MB Aust, but picked up at the factory in Germany by the customer at a pre-arranged date. The customer had to drive it in Europe for 15 months before shipping it home, to avoid all Aust duty (was it about 40% import duty then?). On arrival back in Aus, the selling dealer would attach the Aust compliance plate, and it was to all intent now an Australian spec car. I think the customer was obliged to keep it in Aust for 12 months before selling it to comply with import regs.

Now this is what you all wanted to do - we had a customer, a single bloke, would order something like a 450SLC sports, pick it up in Germany, live in it for 15 months camping around Europe, back home for over 12 months actually working (!), then sell it for a tidy profit, AND DO IT AGAIN. He did this at least twice that I know of. Probably then he got married and it was all over!

Cheers.
    addo likes this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

UFO

As the TT cars in France are actually "sold" out of the country where the lease is setup from, I recall that 1/3 of ATECO's Citroen sales each year were actually TT Citroens leased by Australians.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    As the TT cars in France are actually "sold" out of the country where the lease is setup from, I recall that 1/3 of ATECO's Citroen sales each year were actually TT Citroens leased by Australians.
    Tax accounting.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Write to the Federal Govt & tell them you're a mega rich businessman about to make a 6 figure donation to their party. I'm sure they'll write a piece of legislation for you.....
    addo, Whippet, Clogzz and 2 others like this.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    Now this is what you all wanted to do - we had a customer, a single bloke, would order something like a 450SLC sports, pick it up in Germany, live in it for 15 months camping around Europe, back home for over 12 months actually working (!), then sell it for a tidy profit, AND DO IT AGAIN. He did this at least twice that I know of. Probably then he got married and it was all over!

Cheers.
    You don't need to do overseas trips and buy exotic cars to reach the same result.

John
    Fordman likes this.

This is the weird bit of the French marques here - not having competition to the people-focused versions of the Caddy. CitroŽn Australia's smallest people mover is the C4 GP, Renault the Koleos (I don't think there is a seven seat option for the smaller wagons) - nothing compact either way.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    This is the weird bit of the French marques here - not having competition to the people-focused versions of the Caddy. CitroŽn Australia's smallest people mover is the C4 GP, Renault the Koleos (I don't think there is a seven seat option for the smaller wagons) - nothing compact either way.
    Continental Cars will have one of the first five seat C4 Picassos in Australia on the lot ready for sale in the next few weeks. Told that by Bill on Thursday. (this of course does not count the "orphan" that they sold a few years ago)
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I hope it rushes out the door. Have they ever given you a reason for not wanting the family-oriented Berlingos?

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I hope it rushes out the door. Have they ever given you a reason for not wanting the family-oriented Berlingos?
    No, but I reckon it may have to do with ADRs in relation to three rear lap sash seat belts and three child harness points. Then there's the "soccer mum" market who would scoff at such a vehicle...
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Odd; they seem to pass Euro NCAP and T‹V certifications readily enough. VW offer the Caddy Maxi here as a seven seater with DSG.

Renault Australia now have the Kangoo Maxi 5 seater on sale. I have always thought that Citroen, Peugeot and renault could have made many sales if they had sold the 5 seater versions of Berlingo, Partner and Kangoo. We had a Berlingo Multispace a few years ago in Europe, a great practical vehicle, would love one now !. I suspect that they are not sold here as they may have a detrimental affect on the sales of more expensive SUV type models (?)

Thread Information