• Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 59 Floride
  • 3 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: Forum slow

1000+ Posts

Default Forum slow

Admin and others - if the forum is presently as slow for you as it is for me, the culprit is the slow or no response from jquery.com.

Advertisement

Eg, to connect to jquery-latest.min.js from the home page at 6.48pm took 30001.89 ms (30 minutes).

I was unable to get a GET return from code.jquery.com at all shortly afterward.
    Last edited by seasink; 5th December 2014 at 10:09 PM. Reason: ms of course. Still unusable.

I thought it was just my selection of carrier, browser and operating system! I can no longer perform edits etc. using Opera, I have to use Explorer now or it's just rubbish. Even that is not reliable. Anyone else notice problems?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Yes, I have a sore shoulder, thanks for asking..

1000+ Posts

The servers are up, but not reachable by the o/seas carriers used by my ISP. It will probably only be a problem for some users, depending on carrier. It isn't your browser. I wish the forum coders were a little bit more thoughtful.Kim, for the moment, try disabling javascript.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Yes, I have a sore shoulder, thanks for asking..
    It was the least I could do......really......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    The servers are up, but not reachable by the o/seas carriers used by my ISP. It will probably only be a problem for some users, depending on carrier. It isn't your browser. I wish the forum coders were a little bit more thoughtful.Kim, for the moment, try disabling javascript.
    I'll give that a go! Seems to have made an astonishing difference! Already! However I am still unable to do paragraphs, regardless of wysiwyg it all comes out linear!
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 5th December 2014 at 11:56 PM.

1000+ Posts

Problem solved after a discussion with my ISP. It seems the operator of one of the trans-ocean cables used by several ISPs was diverting some traffic to a black hole. Playstation, jQuery, and several others were also affected. It's now corrected.

What it does reveal is a weakness (that's a polite word) in the coding of this forum, that ought to be looked at.

The forum uses the jQuery javascript library (often quite unnecessary), and asks your browser to make an overseas trip to get the material.

Your browser just waited, in this case, while it's request was transferred to a distant planet. If javascript is disabled, some features, like editing layout, are lost, but the site remains readable.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Problem solved after a discussion with my ISP. It seems the operator of one of the trans-ocean cables used by several ISPs was diverting some traffic to a black hole. Playstation, jQuery, and several others were also affected. It's now corrected.

What it does reveal is a weakness (that's a polite word) in the coding of this forum, that ought to be looked at.

The forum uses the jQuery javascript library (often quite unnecessary), and asks your browser to make an overseas trip to get the material.

Your browser just waited, in this case, while it's request was transferred to a distant planet. If javascript is disabled, some features, like editing layout, are lost, but the site remains readable.
    I couldn't reply last night, pages were taking so long to load.
    I'll see what can be done at our end to fix the problem, all gobbly gook to me

I did try to disable java, but as best I could determine it is already disabled on my machine?

Thanks for your help seasink, we appear to be back to normal this morning

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    I couldn't reply last night, pages were taking so long to load.
    I'll see what can be done at our end to fix the problem, all gobbly gook to me

I did try to disable java, but as best I could determine it is already disabled on my machine?

Thanks for your help seasink, we appear to be back to normal this morning

Cheers
    Chris

Except my shoulder is still sore...

1000+ Posts

Java is a programming language that runs under your operating system. It can do anything, including malicious acts, that any application can. I can understand anyone disabling it.

Javascript is a different script coding language that is used within the browser. Browsers have an accessible menu/button setting to turn it on or off. jQuery is a library of javascript scripts. It was meant to make life easier for web developers, who are almost never programmers, who had Windows in mind. It is used often for things that don't need it.

The library can come from a local copy or a public server. That last was our problem.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Except my shoulder is still sore...
    I thought Kim was looking after that for you. . ?

You may have to adjust your elbow patches, they should sit right on the bend at the elbow. I'll see if I can find the instructions or a pic for you

Cheers
    Chris
    Kim Luck, addo and 59 Floride like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information