i just witnessed a shocking crash today
  • Register
  • Help

Icon9 i just witnessed a shocking crash today

This morning i was playing cricket, in Richmond (vic) on a oval which is off the 'infamous' Yarra boulevard.

As we were watching the game from the pavilion we could hear a motorbike scream through one of the corners, a second later i saw one of the most shocking incidents.

The motorcyclist had lost control & moved into the opposite lane where it met head on with a VW Polo. The impact caused the most sickening sound Iíve ever heard. The car spun a whole 180 degrees & the motorcyclist was catapulted over 30m in the air. Having seen all of this everyone involved in the game immediately rushed over as we were the only people within a fair distance on the incident. THANK GOD we had a doctor on our team & the opposition had a off-duty paramedic. They both assisted the rider immediately, he was unbelievably conscious. The driver of the VW walked away no worries however the passenger had fallen unconscious.

The motorcyclist later told my team mate whom was the doctor that he had just got the bike the day before.

I don't want to get into more detail, but Iím still very shocked as I don't think I could have ever seen anything scarier.

However this incident has put a lot of things into perspective for a young male like me. Im quite guilty off 'fanging' even if my car may be very slow, Iím sure we all have. But all it takes is one person to fang it & lose control to cause a serious accident for two or more parties; this may sound very obvious however no one really thinks about the consequences, however after seeing such a incident i think Iíve learnt a lesson.

You can see heaps of gruesome traffic authority ads but i think the thing that would trigger anyone to drive cautiously in the future is to see a serious accident first hand or spend a day with a paramedic.

I donít think it needs to be said but take care on the roads two wheels or four.

Asanka-out

Advertisement

Asanka,

unfortunately the Tv desentecises (spelling?) the audience to the point where you just shrug shoulders and say yeah sure whatever, its just an ad. The reality is always different.

I hope all involved are ok (specially the rider and car occupants) , and if nothing else keep it fresh in the memory as a reminder.

great thread posting.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Yeh - not much you can do for the individuals involved in the incident, but to learn yourself from it is an important thing. I ride bikes and drive cars, and learnt from a very young (learner level) age, that it was more than just yourself you were responsible for on the roads, but all the other people you share the roads with as well. That bike probably weighed 200kg's, and you've seen the damage it caused to everyone involved (issues aside about responsibility for the moment) but it really worries me the amount of people driving around in 2.5tonne trucks (4wd's don't belong on surburban streets) who are just taking their kids to school. I ride a bike and these surburban assault weapons quite frankly scare me.

Regarding road bike incidents (I believe 'accidents' are more avoidable than most people give them credit for) it's an unfortunate statistic that more middle age 'bikers' are injured in incidents these days than young 'learner' riders due to the the increased compulsory rider training which is required before getting a licence, whereas a car driver who has maintained his car licence, which has had a bike licence attached can jump back on a large powerful bike after a non-riding break of 20 years and promptly hurt himself quite badly due to rusty responses and zero 'recent' experience riding. A good case for regular licence testing to keep all our skills fresh.

Still, it must have been pretty horiffic for you by the sound of it.

For Gods sake, if you're going to have a fang, head to a racetrack where the worst thing you can run into is some grass and a lizard, and there are (at least at Cams club events) medical experts onsite to help if something does go amiss. The track has no-one crossing pedestrian crossings, no-one talking on mobile phones, no-one screaming at the noisy kid in the back seat, no-one changing the cd / radio......

Apologies if I've come over a bit heavy, but I've had a few bike incidents myself and know first hand what it's like. Strangely enough I've never crashed on a bike at the track as the concentration levels are maxed out......
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

yeah the reason i posted this was because i know lots of people do drive hard on the boulevard, & i'd hate to see such a incident happen to anyone.

It's amazing how something like that can change the way you drive. I've never driven with so much caution in my life.

Where was this, Kevin Bartlett reserve?
    The sound of such a thing is horrible isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick2
    Where was this, Kevin Bartlett reserve?
    The sound of such a thing is horrible isn't it.
    Kevin bartlett reserve it was

'Desensitises' tekkie...

Why would a CAMS event be safer than any other?

It's a good corner that one if turning left. Maybe he turned right, cos it would be hard to get the left hander so wrong.
    Poor Sod. Hope he's ok. Hope you are OK Asanka.

The 50 kph limit there seems ludicrous.... well it is. The problems seem to start when people do 120+ . I know of two guys, personally, who have stuck their cars in the river there.
    Maybe they could make the Yarra Boulevarde One-Way there. Might help with the safety.
    Maybe they could trial the One-Way thing, starting with Buses and trux.

I luckily learned early on, after rolling my 1969 Kombi on a dirt road on Bruny Island in Tassie (where we lived) just how quickly and easily things can come unstuck. I'd had my P's for 6 months - this was 1984 - and was full of confidence as most young blokes are. I wasn't going fast, but just had no idea what to do when things got out of control. Fortunately we landed back on our wheels (Matt - Ralph - was with me, as was the original Boodek, who was a black dog) and we could drive the 50 km or so home. A valuable lesson was learned; if you're going to have a fang, at least have a good idea what to do if it gets messy!
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

I've seen so many near misses it is not funny. And with some people, a near miss doesn't knock some sense into them, they just think that because they got away with it this time they are Superman.
    The log trucks are the worst. I will never forget coming around a bend with a log truck oncoming, and the trailer is drifting out towards me because he is driving like Peter Brock.............
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    'Desensitises' tekkie...

Why would a CAMS event be safer than any other?
    As I mentioned 'there are (at least at Cams club events) medical experts onsite ' - it's a requirement that Ambo's be onsite for these events. You can turn up to a track and get on most days, but generally unless there events run by CAMS affiliated clubs most of them won't bother with basic safety such as flag marshals, scrutineering, medical help etc...
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Fellow Frogger!

ok, what is "fanging"?

also, what does "rooting" mean? i've used this word around australians and they tend to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesnj
    ok, what is "fanging"?

also, what does "rooting" mean? i've used this word around australians and they tend to laugh.
    Fang - fanging, going for a fang, fanging it - driving fast, pushing the envelope, going faster than you normally would.

Root - buggered, stuffed, broken, unrepairable, sexual liasons..........HoHoHo.....
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6
    As I mentioned 'there are (at least at Cams club events) medical experts onsite ' - it's a requirement that Ambo's be onsite for these events. You can turn up to a track and get on most days, but generally unless there events run by CAMS affiliated clubs most of them won't bother with basic safety such as flag marshals, scrutineering, medical help etc...
    And 99% of the time the vehicles on the track are diving in the same direction... the chances of head on are greatly reduced.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Thread Information