Developments in French automobile strategy- return to government charger plans
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck
  • 1 Post By WLB

Thread: Developments in French automobile strategy- return to government charger plans

Default Developments in French automobile strategy- return to government charger plans

With the slow take off of electric vehicles, the last government's plan to fund hundreds of thousands of public charging stations seems to have been buried.
    Today though the Industry Minister announced that they would place an order for 16,000 public charging points with a supplier yet to be announced and in locations yet to be decided. The old target was 7 million before 2030.

Advertisement

Nissan-Renault have just annonced the sale of their 200,000th electric car.
    As in China sales in France of two and three wheeled electric vehicles for town use and local deliveries are climbing.
    Solex is back in force with electric models - see the range at
    http://www.solexworld.fr/en/
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

I would love to get one of these but it is $2k and you can't airfreight the batteries.

AE21 - Cycles Peugeot - Peugeot
    Bathurst______2 57.22 Sandown_______1 35.29
    Mallala_______1 22.90 Phillip Island____1 56.41
    Winton_______1.43.90 Collingrove_______38.08
    The Bend_____2 21.96

https://www.facebook.com/FrogstompRacing/

http://www.harlandeng.com.au

Doesn't sound expensive to me for such a quality ( assumed ) product. And does it really matter if you can't airfreight batteries ?

Bolloré have now submitted a proposal to the government for the installation of those 16,000 charging points. The will be semi-fast - that is able to charge a flat battery in 3-4hours. The Ministers concerned will review it and reply at the end of january when it is hoped that will decree it in the national interest. In that case Bolloré willl be able to get access to the public space needed with minimum delay. The cost is said to be 150 million euros.

Some more interesting EV developments. Amazing that anyone defends keeping diesels on life support (pun intended)

VW invests in QuantumScape for potentially fireproof, long-range EV batteries

Nissan battery breakthrough to double Leaf EV range within a few years - Autoblog

There is active discussion on battery supplies in Europe. Renault uses Asian sourced batteries and Continental motors in the Zoę. They had intended to build a battery factory in France. The project is now dead as they have concluded that with the rapid improvements in technology coming from the battery industry, it is not a role for a car manufacturer.
    There is a strong strategic desire to have a battery plant in Europe and there is active discussion on a Franco-German project. Tesla, who need a revenue source beyond their niche cars to justify their market capitalisation have said that they are to be involved. They have component and technology exchange agreements with BMW and Mercedes. Daimler and Renault are partners and are sharing platforms on the smaller Mercedes.
    Renault intend to build their own motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Some more interesting EV developments. Amazing that anyone defends keeping diesels on life support (pun intended)VW invests in QuantumScape for potentially fireproof, long-range EV batteriesNissan battery breakthrough to double Leaf EV range within a few years - Autoblog
    You can stick your EV's into the city transport mix but you need to look at these figure closely:

billion tonne kilometers for rail freight Australia: 2010: 64.2
    billion tonne kilometers for road freight Australia: 2010: 193.3

The only reason an east-west link was required in Melbourne was to satisfy the Linfox group. Every government in Australia is bending over for road freight in lieu of rail. Rail uses diesel, but much more economically than road freight magnates do.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

I can envisage a half kilometre long block train, full of Mr Fox's containers, wending its way like a tram from suburb to suburb with a stop at every warehouse or shop. To achieve minimum diesel fuel use we perhaps won't actually stop the train, so you can run alongside and retrieve your container. The tonne.km for short distance distribution will always exceed the tonne.km for the long between depot runs. It makes sense to optimise the distribution economics.

There's some angst in Sydney too, as the government proposes new roads, including long tunnels, between the south of the city and port, and the west and south west (where rail goods terminals are being set up).

Once upon a time, in the lovely, vibrant and almost corruption free State of Victoria, a vast rail network existed. No habitation was a greater distance from the rail network than 80 km. (Apart from Alpine areas.)

When I bought and operated a local truck in Victoria in the 1970's, I had to display an EA licence on my windscreen. This restricted me to an 80 km operating radius from my base, along with the same restriction being imposed on all other local cargo vehicles. It was a hangover from the days of former railway glory, when bulk and small freight was moved by rail and then distributed from virtually every train station in Victoria by ten ton trucks and smaller.

The trouble with that system is that no-one today will wait five minutes for anything to turn up now, thus vastly enriching the bank accounts of Toll, Linfox et al, whilst chewing through more energy than the delivery is worth!

By my calculations, an ordinary diesel powered freight train can carry a tonne of freight over 190 kilometers on a litre of diesel, a semi-trailer less than 4.5 kilometers on that same one litre of fuel.

Road freight should be used as little as possible.
    StephineS likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Once upon a time, in the lovely, vibrant and almost corruption free State of Victoria, a vast rail network existed. No habitation was a greater distance from the rail network than 80 km. (Apart from Alpine areas.)

When I bought and operated a local truck in Victoria in the 1970's, I had to display an EA licence on my windscreen. This restricted me to an 80 km operating radius from my base, along with the same restriction being imposed on all other local cargo vehicles. It was a hangover from the days of former railway glory, when bulk and small freight was moved by rail and then distributed from virtually every train station in Victoria by ten ton trucks and smaller.

The trouble with that system is that no-one today will wait five minutes for anything to turn up now, thus vastly enriching the bank accounts of Toll, Linfox et al, whilst chewing through more energy than the delivery is worth!

By my calculations, an ordinary diesel powered freight train can carry a tonne of freight over 190 kilometers on a litre of diesel, a semi-trailer less than 4.5 kilometers on that same one litre of fuel.

Road freight should be used as little as possible.
    My first job, among other things, involved servicing 16mm projectors. This was circa the time Vic Rail had interests in (??) the Bulla Chalet.

During the off season Vic Rail would send the projectors in to us (Belgium Ave Richmond) to be serviced. I recall ringing the dude at Vic Rail and asking him how to ship them back :

" Oh... any method except rail... they will get broken if sent by rail..." So the projectors were sent by IPEC. (and always arrived safely)

This statement pretty summed up rail transport. If you didn't want it broken don't use rail transport. We sent projector arc lamp carbon rods by Vic Rail to Wodonga Drive In only once. They managed to break both boxes them.

The previous shipping from France (Carbons Lorraine) via sea freight, the Melbourne docks and local road transport never managed to break a single carbon.

Rail was excellent transport for briquettes, coal and steel items but anything at all breakable was a disaster. A case and point that employees can ruin any business.

I think you would be surprised how many rooted packages I received road freight from suppliers over the last ten years or so, Rob!

We used to ship trucks by rail too, to make sure they didn't get damaged.....we tried sending them seafreight to Brisbane but on one voyage a giant roll of newsprint got away in the hold of the ship and flattened about twelve fibreglass PMG vans and that was the end of the seafreight experiment.

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    My first job, among other things, involved servicing 16mm projectors. This was circa the time Vic Rail had interests in (??) the Bulla Chalet.
    You're thinking of Buller, Rob. Bulla is the Melbourne outer suburb.
    But it was the Mt. Buffalo Chalet that the railways owned. And a real shame that it's no longer operating too. Lovely old place.

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    .... When I bought and operated a local truck in Victoria in the 1970's, I had to display an EA licence on my windscreen. This restricted me to an 80 km operating radius from my base, along with the same restriction being imposed on all other local cargo vehicles. It was a hangover from the days of former railway glory, when bulk and small freight was moved by rail and then distributed from virtually every train station in Victoria by ten ton trucks and smaller. ....
    During my summer school holidays, I worked in the spare parts department of Market Motors (later Preston Motors) located on the highway in Doveton, just down the road from GMH's plant. When I got my licence, I got to drive one of the parts delivery vans; HR and then HK panel vans. They were a major Holden parts distributor so we sent spares to garages and dealers all over the place. For places in Gippsland beyond about Berwick, we had to send them by parcel rail which meant a big load of cartons and body panels to be dropped off at the Dandenong station each afternoon.

Occasionally, if we had a large urgent order to somewhere like Drouin, Maryvale, or Bairnsdale for example, we would deliver them directly and the parcels in the van had to be marked with a code number rather than an address. This was to guard against getting into strife if you were pulled over by the TRB (Transport Regulation Board) and your load was checked. They couldn't prove that you were delivering something that should have been sent by rail.
    Kim Luck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    You're thinking of Buller, Rob. Bulla is the Melbourne outer suburb.
    But it was the Mt. Buffalo Chalet that the railways owned. And a real shame that it's no longer operating too. Lovely old place.

WLB

Just curious Rob ... Who was it that you worked for?

Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    Just curious Rob ... Who was it that you worked for?
    I worked for Village Theatre Supplies P/L. (VTS)

Village Theatre Supplies were associated with and owned 50% Village/ Greater Union prior to the sell out of Village Theatres to Warner Bros et al.

Head Office with Roc Kirby and Company was on the corner of Hoodle St and Elizabeth Street Richmond (just around the corner from VTS. Village Roadshow film distribution was directly behind Village Head Office.

VTS was the engineering design, installation, service and supply organisation behind the Village Chain of Hardtops and Drive Ins Australia wide.

VTS were also the Australasian Distributor of a range of German, American & Italian projectors and projection equipment. Film transport, rectifiers, light sources, automation equipment etc etc. VTS used
    import the equipment to their Richmond store directly from overseas.

VTS morphed through various stages, names and partnerships with various stakeholders and I worked for them for around 15 years.

WLB

Sorry to send you off-topic, but thanks Rob. Sounds like it would have been interesting. Ah, the good ol' days.

Thread Information