Renualt place third in the F1!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Renualt place third in the F1!

Excellent race with Renault driver Alonso placing third.
    That will certainly give their advertising department something to work with!

-- DJ

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Default F1 is crap now

I made the mistake of watching the last half of the Australian GP, what a DEAD-BORING parade of the also-rans it was. F1 used to, as recently as 2000, have some sort of suspense in it, even if five overtaking maneuvers was considered to be a lot. Now it's absolute crap - cars that are 2 seconds a lap faster than a car ahead of them need ten laps to overtake....

I predict 16 wins this year for Schumacher and the others to Barichello. YAWN.

I used to get up at 5 AM to watch the European races, but no more.

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Maybe this will increase the resale values of our renaults!!!

Ok, maybe not.

~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT
    "#ZEG01F" --- > 2006 VW Golf 2.0L TDI - The torque machine SOLD
    "MY 4" --------------- > 2002 Monaco Blue RenaultSport Clio MkII SOLD
    "XES11V" ---------- > 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage STOLEN

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M. Tippett
    I made the mistake of watching the last half of the Australian GP, what a DEAD-BORING parade of the also-rans it was. F1 used to, as recently as 2000, have some sort of suspense in it, even if five overtaking maneuvers was considered to be a lot. Now it's absolute crap - cars that are 2 seconds a lap faster than a car ahead of them need ten laps to overtake....

I predict 16 wins this year for Schumacher and the others to Barichello. YAWN.

I used to get up at 5 AM to watch the European races, but no more.
    I'm really sad to say that I agree. I've watched F1 for years, and probably missed only a couple of races between 1990-1997, but it is definitely a bit boring now. I absolutely love the technology; materials, engineering solutions, etc. but they need to give fans of the mid range drivers some hope that they can win without a miracle occurring. Of course, a bit more accessibility rather than secrecy would be good for us, too.

Stuey

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    I'm really sad to say that I agree. I've watched F1 for years, and probably missed only a couple of races between 1990-1997, but it is definitely a bit boring now. I absolutely love the technology; materials, engineering solutions, etc. but they need to give fans of the mid range drivers some hope that they can win without a miracle occurring. Of course, a bit more accessibility rather than secrecy would be good for us, too.

Stuey

as all the ford drivers said in 2002 some parity is needed

look what it has done for the V8 touring cars
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

This is why i prefer the WRC... not saying that there is anything wrong with any other motorsport..

WRC appeals to me more though!!!
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

Fellow Frogger!

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Mi16
    This is why i prefer the WRC... not saying that there is anything wrong with any other motorsport..WRC appeals to me more though!!!
    Right, I only wish that a German manufacturer was in there too (say, Audi) and perhaps a few others too, as the field is getting a little thin. however, I agree 100% about the spectacle and competition being superior to F1 by far. I still remember Panizzi's donut on the Catalunya stage a couple of years back - you'd never see something like that in F1.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by M. Tippett
    Right, I only wish that a German manufacturer was in there too (say, Audi) and perhaps a few others too, as the field is getting a little thin. however, I agree 100% about the spectacle and competition being superior to F1 by far. I still remember Panizzi's donut on the Catalunya stage a couple of years back - you'd never see something like that in F1.

Cheers,
    Mike

Well a least my hockey team won!!!!! Go the Canucks!!!

Go the Reno's they were best of the rest so to speak!!!

Makes me love my Clio that little bit more!!!

Grant

I went bush today and so was obliged to miss the circus. Thought I'd set my VCR to record the main event, and I had ... just didn't preselect the correct cable channel input, so what I recorded wasn't the race, anyway. But as I expected, the first two cars into turn one on lap one were the same first two cars at the end of the race. Thankfully, I got that information out of a 40-second grab on the 6 o'clock news, and so was spared three hours of BO-RING procession with the odd moment of excitement in the pits.

I don't even get upset when I miss an F1 event these days ... nice to see Renault up there -- interesting in the context of Peugeot's Corrado Provera saying that they could field three cars in every WRC event for less than it had been costing Peugeot just to be an engine supplier to F1 -- but I remain to be convinced that the solution is more or different manufacturers competing.

MY99 206GTi
    Clio 1.4L auto

Congratulations to Renault on a good placing, ahh I still remember the good old days back in the 90's The days when I would follow F1.

There are quite a few good points raised about F1 and how 'good' the racing is now. I've never been to the GP before, so I decided to go this year to see what it's like. Nice atmosphere and there's something about hearing the cars roar around in real life that you just can't get on a TV set. But the racing, well, yes the cars are fast, but is it close? Not really. It's no fun when the racing isn't close and you can guess who'll win - almost like watching a delayed sports telecast after knowing the result. Many people like F1, it's just not my cup of tea.

The racing only makes me miss the good old days of the BTCC. A championship where the cars had relevance to what you drive on the road, a championship where the cars look like the ones you drive on the road, not the same car with different stickers on it, a championship actually close and exciting, not practically a foregone conclusion Ahwell, maybe I better start following WRC more these days

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

go on you

but go SCHAMACHER AND THOSE RED HOT FERRARI

GOD LOVE FERRARI
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mr bern
    -- interesting in the context of Peugeot's Corrado Provera saying that they could field three cars in every WRC event for less than it had been costing Peugeot just to be an engine supplier to F1 --

I suppose that's easy to promote when the engine you made was one of the least successful of the era...

Speaking of engines, long term F1 fans will be interested to know that the Cosworth DFV is being re-manufactured.

Stuey

In regards to some1 earlier in this thread commenting on how boring F1 racing has become in the last couple of years... I felt that last season was the most exciting season we have seen for a long time. Ok, no I know Shumi won the championship, but only just! Kimi Raikonen and Montoya both had the chance to steal it from him all season right up to the final race where the champ was decided. I rember theere were many races in the 2003 season that were nail bitting.

I was hoping this season would be the same, but after the total domination of those ferraris, I was a bit disapointed.

Hopefully the new track this year in Bahrain will put every driver on par becuase they will all have very similar hours dirving the circuit.

I would really love to see Raikonen, Montoya or Alonso win the championship this year and I have a feeeling it will be an exciting season, regardless of the boring start to the season. Just a bit of trivia, This years melbourne GP was the quickest race every, and the safety car (which btw is a very very nice piece of turbo charged AMG machinery) was never used.

I am going to continue the tradition of waking up early or just staying up late to see those European races, I can't wait, glad the season has started!!!

Oh and yeah badluck about webber's Jaguar breaking down, but it does have an upside...as we all know Montoya is leaving BMW and going to McLaren next year to replace Coultard which will leave a free spot at Williams. Well williams have their eye on and want mark webber to drive for them next year, but alas webber is still locked into a contract with Jaguar for another 2 years....The only way the contract can be broken (by both parties) is if one or the other doesn't perform. Now webber qualifying in the 3rd row of the grid and being in 5th or 6th place when his Jag' gearbox failed shows how he has what it takes and alas the team keeps letting him down. If Jag continue to fail to provide him with the reliable car he needs, then yes he can actually break his contract at the end of this season and move to BMW-Williams! now wouldn't that be Awsome!!
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Quote Originally Posted by jfn306
    go on you

but go SCHAMACHER AND THOSE RED HOT FERRARI

GOD LOVE FERRARI
    would love to see how barrichelo would go if he was given the same car, attention from the team and budget as Schumacher.
    Schumacher is my least favorite driver since Senna. Yes they are good and win a lot, but they do it by being overly aggressive pricks, who throw hissy fits when they lose, take all the credit when they win and blame everything else when they lose.

Another very boring F1 race - they should play with the rules to level the playing feild, or take all the rules away altogether and let the teams see how fast they can go (bring back launch control, active suspension, wide track and full slicks and turbos )
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    would love to see how barrichelo would go if he was given the same car, attention from the team and budget as Schumacher.

This may come as a shock to you but............they do have the same car!!!! Their choice of setup may be different, but that's is a personal thing.

Schumacher is my least favorite driver since Senna. Yes they are good and win a lot, but they do it by being overly aggressive pricks, who throw hissy fits when they lose, take all the credit when they win and blame everything else when they lose.

Another very boring F1 race - they should play with the rules to level the playing feild, or take all the rules away altogether and let the teams see how fast they can go (bring back launch control, active suspension, wide track and full slicks and turbos )[/QUOTE]

I think that a level playing field is not the answer, nor is launch control, let's not forget that this is the cutting edge of technology for cars, everyone is so up in arms about Schumi and Ferarri, what everyone seems to forget is that everything goes in cycles, there was a time when Williams were untouchable, and McLaren were untouchable, now it's Ferraris' turn, the their time will be up to and then it will be someone elses turn, another thing that everyone is forgetting is that Schumi is one of a kind, I honestly believe that if you put him in a Sauber he would put that thing on pole and probably come close to winning, I think their are too many drivers in F1 who are happy to just do laps, why is it that Alonso can put his car in 3rd place yet Trulli can't even get close, how many times was Trulli on the podium last year in comparison to Alonso.........The drivers that are constantly standing out have a hunger to win, Schumi, Rubens, Ralf, Montoya, Alonso and even Webber, they are always there in Qualifying always with quick laps times, there are time when the cars dies but that's unavoidable. I do agree that some of the races are boring but how can you blame Ferrari, I would be blaming Renault, Williams, McLaren, and Jaguar for not being able to keep up with them!!!!

Last edited by Gak306; 8th March 2004 at 12:14 PM.

1000+ Posts

Gak,

Get some F1 videos out, 1985 - 1995. (Before this would be OK, but the vids are in limited supply). Watch them and compare. The racing was better even when there were dominant teams. My opinion, anyway.

(Haakon, it was all down-Hill after Senna's death...)

Stuey

Gak,

Get some F1 videos out, 1985 - 1995. (Before this would be OK, but the vids are in limited supply). Watch them and compare. The racing was better even when there were dominant teams. My opinion, anyway.

(Haakon, it was all down-Hill after Senna's death...)

Stuey
    yup. I remember staying up late when I was a kid in the 80s to watch F1 (a treat and showing my age ) and it was always exciting and generally always involved mayhem, spectacular crashes and tight racing (God those turbo v6 Renault and Honda engines were amazing - 1500 bhp from a 1500 cc motor !!) they may be faster and safer today, but so much more boring.

rek

Ah well, it's Ferrari's turn to be the dominant force in F1. Us McLaren fans had our day in the sunshine in the late 90s, and Williams fans surely remember the mid 90s fondly (although I'm sure we're all well on the way to forgetting Damon Hill )
    Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    being overly aggressive pricks, who throw hissy fits when they lose, take all the credit when they win and blame everything else when they lose.
    I am not a Schu fan, but I don't think you can attribute any of those "qualities" to Schumacher, at least since he joined Ferrari. At every opportunity, he always takes the time to thank the team for what they achieve together; the stability and unity of the Ferrari team, their management, and their drivers is probably half the reason why they've been so successful of late.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

I don't really care who's winning, whether it's Ferrari or Minardi or Toyota. It would just be more interesting if it wasn't always the same driver, or the same manufacturer, but even that would be more palatable if there was just a bit more ebb and flow within the race -- and I don't just mean in the pits.

There's just something about the formula right now -- could be the width of the tracks, could be the size of the cars, could be the engine and other specs -- that seems to lock drivers in to where they are. Just compare the movement that you see in the V8 field with the F1s. Maybe they need to be paid according to how many other cars they can pass ... maybe they need to get off these street circuits altogether ... wish I knew what the answer was.

I just know that my interest started to wane when I noticed a few years back that if I only saw the first corner, or maybe the first lap, and then the last lap, that I wouldn't really have missed all that much in between. Now I don't even bother with the last lap ...

MY99 206GTi
    Clio 1.4L auto

I loved the race it was great and even greater to see Renault getting there and coming third. I think they need better drivers.
    Someone else hit the nail on the head and hopefully Renault here can make some miles out of it they should use some footage from the race to promote some cars.
    Good to see on the Renault website too they are bringing out the kangoo by the looks of it.
    Does anyone have any release dates for all these cars??

Quote Originally Posted by mr bern
    There's just something about the formula right now -- could be the width of the tracks, could be the size of the cars, could be the engine and other specs -- that seems to lock drivers in to where they are. Just compare the movement that you see in the V8 field with the F1s. Maybe they need to be paid according to how many other cars they can pass ... maybe they need to get off these street circuits altogether ... wish I knew what the answer was.
    The reason there is little passing is because of aerodynamics. These cars generate an enormous amount of downforce, and so need "clean air". If they are following another car the aerodynamics are far less efficient due to the slipstream. This means less grip, and so the trailing car can only keep up, not pass. This is the reason why F1 cars, besides never passing, are rarely nose to tail. The gap is usually more like 0.8-1.5 secs. A car needs to have a significant performance advantage to be able to pass.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Quote Originally Posted by rek
    I am not a Schu fan, but I don't think you can attribute any of those "qualities" to Schumacher, at least since he joined Ferrari. At every opportunity, he always takes the time to thank the team for what they achieve together; the stability and unity of the Ferrari team, their management, and their drivers is probably half the reason why they've been so successful of late.
    he has gotten better, youre right ( I guess he doesnt have to stress anymore - hes got the millions in the bank and the world championships, so all he has to do nowadays is have fun). But it wasnt always mr nice guy with schumacher.....

1000+ Posts

You're all a bunch of whingin sods

It was a sweet race from the track!
    I was crappin ma pants every time the renaults went past!!!
    Alonso giddy up son!
    Trulli... ur normally a dud but Montoya aint even catchin ya son!!! w00t!

The Renault appears to have a really good setup this year (again!) and will be givin it to the top two!!!

Ferrari too far ahead?
    hmmm tall poppy syndrome from the aussies???
    its been said, it goes in cycles, they've worked their asses off for what they've got! its what fuels innovation!!!
    Teams like Renault then think up amazing inventions (pneumatic lifters! their superb traction control, a "turbocharger") to get around these "impossible to beat" teams & we can all thank them every time we drive to the shops...

quit bitchin
    I lurve ma Renault!!!
    go go goooo Alonso!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LookingforMi16
    The reason there is little passing is because of aerodynamics. These cars generate an enormous amount of downforce, and so need "clean air". If they are following another car the aerodynamics are far less efficient due to the slipstream. This means less grip, and so the trailing car can only keep up, not pass. This is the reason why F1 cars, besides never passing, are rarely nose to tail. The gap is usually more like 0.8-1.5 secs. A car needs to have a significant performance advantage to be able to pass.
    Maaaaaaan, give us some credit! Don't you think we know that? I've followed it for twenty years, ferchrissakes!

Nate, it's not a Renault thing, nor an Aussie thing. Some of us like sport too. Like when you could watch rivals fight it out till the last lap. I can still remember sitting on the edge of the sofa punching the air at the end of a race, it was that close... Can you imagine?

Stuey

Maaaaaaan, give us some credit! Don't you think we know that? I've followed it for twenty years, ferchrissakes!
    Yep, I assumed most of you would know. That's why I included Mr Bern's original message - he was speculating on why the drivers seem to get 'locked into where they are'. I provided an answer. Sharing the knowledge and all that.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information