Brisbane storm
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 59 Floride

Thread: Brisbane storm

Default Brisbane storm

Hope all have survived without too much damage.

I got caught in hail at Nundah, so have damage to at least two cars that I've been able to see - nothing else fortunately.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Advertisement
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Jindalee fared ok, just a deluge and lightning but no hail that I saw. My spies tell me that my work site in Newstead was wet and wild, flying debris etc. I expect a flooded basement again. Some of my boys were caught in the hail around Wooloongabba as they left work and suffered a fair bit of hail damage. (I left work before the storm hit..Boss's privilege )

Nothing out of the ordinary at Mansfield, but as the Mrs was leaving work she saw very large hail, broken windows in buildings, fallen tree and roof sheeting on the road. She stayed put in undercover park until it eased. Saw quite a number of cars with hail damage and broken windows. Not good if one was a statistic.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

4 hours later and there were still queues of people at bus stops near the inner-suburban railway station trying to get home. Second time in a week and a half that the trains have had to stop. So are you better off taking a train and waiting hours, having trouble getting on your regular bus, or taking your car and having it belted?
    In the space of 2 short blocks until I could make it undercover (in the Woolworths loading dock) the car I was driving scored at least a dozen dints over 3 panels, and I was obviously just on the edge of the storm at that point. My uninsured car in the back yard at Wavell fared worse. My nephew uploaded a video of the bus he was driving in Alice Street getting absolutely battered, so plenty of others got a much harder time out of it all.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

UFO

I think this says a fair bit.

Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

I was parked at Chermside and inside shopping when the hail hit. Luckily it was only grape sized there, and my 206 GTi is entirely undamaged. Lucky, since a broken windscreen is basically a writeoff for me.

If anyone has a trashed car though, I'm looking to build one for my wife (well, she will be in 1 week )
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Citroen C5 2.0 A - Magic carpet to float around on
    Citroen Berlingo 1.4 M
    - two person micro camper & work car.

1000+ Posts

Just as long as nobody got hurt. That's pretty much all you can hope for.

There is a lot of carnage around Annerly and Woolloongabba which wore most of the hail and destructive wind. Newstead's ok but very wet.

Business as usual for me..

No hail in Ferny Hills, but some vicious winds. I have a dented gutter where a tree swayed into the house, but that's it. Oh, and some spare bonnets that I had neatly stacked under the house blew over.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

What's the deal with all the curtain glazing damage? I saw some high rise pictures that sure didn't look like either laminated or toughened glass.

Talking to my crane operator who has his depot in Rocklea (right in the storms path) said he had to send a crane next door to right two truck'n'dogs which were blown over onto their side. Now that's one impressive storm right there..

JBN

I watched the Sydney news tonight and was amazed by the damage caused in Brisbane. There was one shot of people leaving a building where a large pane of glass hit the road near them and shattered. Very scary. A lot of aircraft badly damaged at Archerfield.

The newsreader stated that the storm was equivalent to a category 2 cyclone.

John

1000+ Posts

Not much one can do if caught out in the open with hailstones of the size shown in the poolside clip posted by UFO, glad that no one got injuries or serious damage - November living up to its reputation in the weather stakes.

Meanwhile in Melbourne today it started off cold and overcast, but by 10-30 am it was cloud free and glorious sunshine, but tomorrow who knows...likely to be a few tears on election day and lots of trees slaughtered to provide electioneering handbills. Huge waste of money as most have already made up their minds.

A damn good storm here could wash away all the political mud and crud that has been chucked, the big thing of course is will Clive Palmer reap the political whirlwind or head back to Queensland tail between legs?

Hope your weather improves in the run up to Christmas...

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

M'lady was caught on a train between Milton and Roma St when the power went out. They turned the air con off but didn't open the doors for about an hour. Then they turned the lights off as well, lol. Finally, after an hour and a half, they were let through the guard compartment to alight from the train and walk the remaining distance to Milton Station. A bus came to the station but filled up in about 10 seconds. I ended up driving in (from Ipswich)to pick her up, after negotiating the other 100 million (well, not quite that many, lol, but you get the picture) other vehicles on the road that were on similar missions.
    Rail services to Ipswich were finally restored this morning, but took a bit longer to return to normal.
    I drove past Archerfield Aerodrome this morning. The traffic lights at the corner of Beatty an Boundary looked like they'd be run over by a B-double (no kidding) but I was told that yes, it was the wind that tore them out of their mountings and smashed them across the roadway.
    I saw a gold coloured late 90's Magna that a B-double got blown over onto.......the Magna was about the height of a Lotus Europa. I heard on the news that the car was actually passing by when the truck blew over onto it! How the driver of the car wasn't killed is beyond me.
    The building next to our depot, in Balham Road at Archerfield, lost most (if not ALL) it's solar PV panels, alot of them ending up in our depot. One of them hit one of the Volvo FH16 prime movers and left a good sized dent in the side of it.
    On the way from Stapylton to Archerfield, I was driving along Beaudesert Road and saw a very late model BMW X6 driving beside me. They must have sought shelter somewhere that didn't cover the whole car, because all the rear panels had as many dimples as a fat-o-gram and the back window was shattered, held together by the window tint, except for a large hole at the top left corner. It was raining fairly steadily when I saw it so I imagine the interior would have been a mess too.
    We live in Ipswich, near the CBD. One of our wooden gates blew off it's hinges, but that was only because it wasn't properly held in position like it normally is. Otherwise, no damage.
    Cheers
    Steve

JBN

An interesting account CarNut. I wonder if the Magna driver had perhaps been a Lotus Europa driver in the past and was able to adopt the "driving whilst lying down" posture instictively. I hope he/she wasn't hurt.

Did you think that the damage to the rear of the BMW X6 made it look any better? I was behind an "unweathered" X6 today and thought it look like an X5 after someone farted in it with all the windows closed. Got some of that Ssangyong feel about it.

John

I work in Coopers Plains and was leaving work just as the storm hit.
    Got caught on Beaudesert Road and Granard Road.
    Some traffic lights were still out on Friday.
    Got hail damage to the Scenic on the roof, bonnet, tailgate and at least one of the doors.
    Have to see the accessor next week but I expect they'll write the car off.
    My son in law works for a panelbeater and his rought accessment is at least $3k-$4k to fix.
    No damage at home.

We at least no one was killed or badly injured in the storm.
    Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    An interesting account CarNut. I wonder if the Magna driver had perhaps been a Lotus Europa driver in the past and was able to adopt the "driving whilst lying down" posture instictively. I hope he/she wasn't hurt.

Did you think that the damage to the rear of the BMW X6 made it look any better? I was behind an "unweathered" X6 today and thought it look like an X5 after someone farted in it with all the windows closed. Got some of that Ssangyong feel about it.

John

Hahahaha!!!!!! Well, I hadn't really thought about it but now that you mention it, the hail damage probably didn't detract from the looks of the car that much. They certainly are a "different" looking car. Jeremy Clarkson reckons that the Porsche Cayenne is an ugly car but I think it's alot more handsome than the X6. The X6 looks almost like a cartoonist's attempt at car design.

I heard on the news that the Magna driver escaped harm.....exactly how is a mystery. The roof of the ol' Magna was pretty flat lol.

I always liked those Lotus Europas......super-low-slung body........amazing design for the day. I like the ones with the R16 engine in the back. A mate of mine had one about 20 years ago and I just couldn't believe how LOW it felt when you sat in it. As low as a Lamborghini Countach (my teenage dream car) but more obtainable.
    Cheers
    Steve

My 205 was parked in New Farm - some dings on the bonnet, but otherwise unharmed - I was a little worried about the glass sunroof, but it was partly parked under a tree which I'm sure helped. Shame about the dings, but it adds to the generally 'well used' patina of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Backmarker View Post
    My 205 was parked in New Farm - some dings on the bonnet, but otherwise unharmed - I was a little worried about the glass sunroof, but it was partly parked under a tree which I'm sure helped. Shame about the dings, but it adds to the generally 'well used' patina of the car.
    Just make sure you document the history
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Thread Information