Tyre profiles are changing
  • Register
  • Help

Default Tyre profiles are changing

We have got used to ever wider tyres and the steering forces managed by power assistance. Now with challenge to reduce fuel consumption, the European manufacurers are about to launch petrol cars at 4l/100km and are designing for 2l/100kms. One source of improvement is by the reduction of rolling resistance of tyres. The three major tyre makers are all working on a return to wide diameter skinny tyres. Before you winge about braking and aquaplaning, let me point out that these people know what they are doing, it is they who face the lawsuits if they kill anyone.

The tyres have much deeper grooves to manage the water and are more critical on the correct pressure.
    BMW are already using the tyres and they will appear next year on most of the small economy cars

Advertisement
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

135 x 380 certainly sticks in my mind, Gerry!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Expect 145/70 R17 77T
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Noticed that Continental are testing tyres they have made from the latex obtained from Dandelion roots.
    Wonder how many plants it takes to make a tyre?

Paul

1000+ Posts

Bridgestone has fields of dandelions as well. There is obviously some concern about the supply of natural rubber latex.

The tall skinnies are made now for the eco-cars, eg Continental has 18 inchers for Tuareg and DS5 hybrids.

Here's a blurb from Continental, who are contracting dandelion growers-

A rubber tree needs up to seven years before it can supply latex suitable for processing. And at this point the inherent slow pace of the system encounters the high speed of the market. This leaves us facing highly volatile prices, monocultures in the producing countries, and long-distances to cover before the rubber reaches us.
    Last edited by seasink; 4th November 2014 at 11:12 AM.

I have a nice crop of dandelions in my front and back lawns if any tyre company is interested......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Just imagine your lawn if Mr Dunlop owned the field down the road.......

1000+ Posts

Icon11

What will they think up next....Tires made from old Condums(with 'built-in' Traction 'Compound'...)?

1000+ Posts

I place a priority on cornering ability over a minor improvement in fuel consumption.
    As long as we remain at liberty to fit our vehicles with tyres that suit our driving style, then I'm happy. I don't want a bean counter determining how quickly (or slowly) I should be taking a bend.
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

1991 Peugeot 605SVE (Written off 2007)
    1995 Peugeot 605SV (Bianca White) *SOLD*
    2007 Volvo XC70 Electric Silver (PJ-810)
    2009 Volvo XC60 T6 Teknik (Sapphire Black)
    2014 Volvo XC70 Luxury D5 Polestar (Ice White)
    2012 Mercedes Benz C250 (Alabandite)

Past:
    1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 2001 Volvo XC70 and various Volvo 200-series

1000+ Posts

The market will decide if permitted by the regulators. Perhaps we are returning full circle to the future - next anti gravity tyres - the world is truly their challenge. Then if some have their say it will be walking after waking.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by StephineS View Post
    What will they think up next....Tires made from old Condums(with 'built-in' Traction 'Compound'...)?
    They'd be optional for cars owned by f'n bad drivers.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by PJ810 View Post
    I place a priority on cornering ability over a minor improvement in fuel consumption.As long as we remain at liberty to fit our vehicles with tyres that suit our driving style, then I'm happy. I don't want a bean counter determining how quickly (or slowly) I should be taking a bend.
    When fuel is about $20/litre, your concern will be more about having 1000 kpa in your tyres than going around corners.........

Thread Information