• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By David Cavanagh
  • 1 Post By N5GTi6

Thread: Pics Bathurst '64 !

1000+ Posts

Default Pics Bathurst '64 !

Hi
    Some interesting pics of Bathurst 1964, that I came across !

Advertisement

Ahhhhhh the good old days when you run what you brung and then, hopefully, drove it home again Some Frogs in there.

bathurst 1964 - The Grey Nomads Forum

Cheers jaahn

Banned

i just love how, despite all the incredibly risky aspects of racing cars on a 'track' like that, possibly no seat belts, etc, they felt the need to tape or remove the headlights. as if a bit of glass on the track would make it riskier! or maybe it was so you had headlights when you drove back to sydney....

Fellow Frogger!

Absolute GOLD!!!!! Thanks for posting a great link to some awesome photos!! I know a lovely chap who has been going to Bathurst EVERY year for the last 53years, except for one year when he was recovering from cancer. I will share this link with him as I am pretty sure he would have been there in '64. He raced himself, campaigning a 105E Anglia for some years. He raced at the Longford circuit in Tassie as well as the old Grand Prix circuit at Lowood in Queensland. Parts of those circuits are still visible. There's a wiki article on the Lowood Circuit (Lowood Airfield Circuit) and there's also a bit on Wiki about the Longford Circuit (Longford Circuit).
    It must have been amazing to race in the old days, number plates, cross-plies and all, lol!!! I love the photos of the little R8 chasing the Humber Vogue, and the ID19 taking the corner !!!

Fellow Frogger!

Results for the 64 Bathurst. Interesting array of vehicles.

1964 Armstrong 500 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1000+ Posts

Fifty years ago...Oh,how time just flies by...

yep, don't it just. 1964 was the only year I've ever been to the big race.
    during my brilliant but very brief career as a motoring journalist, working with Peter Robinson
    at the late unlamented Motor Manual. me 18, he 21, we drove up in his Sprite. on the way back
    on the sunday night on the Olympic Way, Robbo fell asleep and we clipped an oncoming car.
    we stopped to assess damage, saw other car turning round, jumped back in the Sprite and headed
    off, pedal to metal, Peter wide awake now. the next morning we tried for the land speed record down
    Pretty Sally and the Sprite blew a welch plug. ah, to be young and fearless again...

More images of the 1960's:-

Bathurst 500/1000 - Bathurst 1960's - AUTOPICS

Just click on the year of your choice to view the images.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

I love the way that history has once again been re-written, particularly by people who should know better! The first three races in '60, '61, '62 had nothing to do with the name or the place Bathurst. They were run at Phillip Island and the race's correct name was the Armstrong 500.

Bloody NSWelshmen trying to claim credit for races they never ran!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Sounds fair to me.

You should have delved little deeper, they did acknowledge it... eventually

http://autopics.com.au/bathurst-1960/
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

What does everyone recon.

Not taking anything away from today's drivers, doing 300kph into the chase in a steel cage takes an enormous amount of skill and guts but those guys 50 years ago were coming down Conrod at maybe 160 with drum brakes, crossply tyres, leaf springs, live rear axles, steering boxes (not racks) on a track that was no better than a country B road........Bugger that.
    jaahn and CarNut like this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post

Not taking anything away from today's drivers, doing 300kph into the chase in a steel cage takes an enormous amount of skill and guts but those guys 50 years ago were coming down Conrod at maybe 160 with drum brakes, crossply tyres, leaf springs, live rear axles, steering boxes (not racks) on a track that was no better than a country B road........Bugger that.
    Hi
    I recall going in about 66/67 and seeing the Valiant V8s coming down Conrod and what seemed like every second time not being able to make the bottom corner because of their crap drum brakes. They came over the hump fast, braked and one rear wheel locked up, they got sideways and often went off down the runoff road toward Bathurst. They stopped after a bit, turned around and rejoined the race many many many times. The new V8 power did not work out as well as expected nor did the auto help Now those drivers were gutsy or had no brains

I also recall a talk given at the car club by ?? a well known driver who had won there. He said they half wore out the tires in practice and then saved them for the race as the road tires gripped better like that just had to ballance the wear a bit or they blew out !!!

Ahhhhh the good old days. I went there with a couple of friends in a Standard 10. What a rocket We slept in the back by folding the back seat flat and using the boot area.
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 23rd October 2014 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Sounds fair to me.

You should have delved little deeper, they did acknowledge it... eventually

Bathurst 500/1000 - Bathurst 1960's - Bathurst 1960 - AUTOPICS
    Your vision is impaired. "Bathurst 1960" is the headline at the top of the page. If it was the "great race" in 1960, '61 and '62 how did Bathurst creep in?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post

In early days Datsun 1200 Bluebirds were doing 160 kmh down Conrod until their wheels packed it in.

Interesting comment about the wooden fences. I was Lap dashing at Catalina Park in the early 80's and the wooden fences (old railway sleepers ? ) were certainly still the fences you bumped up against if you were off line anywhere. Lack of runoff was great for controlling any excess exuberance !

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Love this shot of the DS hot on the heels of the 124AC coupe driven by Allan Grice....

Cheers

Justin
    Mungous likes this.
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Thread Information