Phishing - Again...
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: Phishing - Again...

Icon4 Phishing - Again...

Just had a doozy; one of the most authentic looking "Paypal" emails to date.

How it wanted to get you to be stupid was thus:
    • It came as a mock receipt for payment to someone, stating an item (with hyperlink that I wouldn't click if you paid me).
    • It stated a posting address you'd nominated (which is not your own).
    • Then at the bottom, not unlike a boner-fido email from the robber barons, it said something to the effect of "If you have any issues with this transaction, click here" (which was likely to be hyperlinked to a fake login page).
    I forwarded it to the official robbers and deleted it right away.

So far as I could tell, it was 100% a chancing email, just working off a harvested email address.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

What will they think up next?

Quote Originally Posted by StephineS View Post
    An official looking "missed delivery" notice for a fictional delivery. Click on the link to find out details...

Except.. we weren't expecting delivery .. deleted without opening.

Similar notices came back a few times which confirmed they were sus.

Soon after I opened my e-mail account I received series of e-mails from people who had bought stuff from me, except I had not sold anything, so it wasn't hard to figure out that delete option was the best
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

If you set your client NOT to display HTML, all this crap shows up for what it is.

HTML display contravenes the email standards, but typically, is promoted by Microsoft. Almost all the deceptions used by these thieves depends on concealment within HTML coding.

You'll not only see true email and link addresses (that wouldn't fool anyone) but the piles of garbage often inserted to fool spam filters. You can use the headers to trace this stuff, but it's usually an unaware infected Windows somewhere far away.

I also have a filter - anyone who covers a link with a false one goes straight to Sheol.

PS I am also notified by the filter if any false link was sent from one of my own ISP's addresses. The last was disconnected before nightfall. ISPs will act.
    Last edited by seasink; 15th October 2014 at 09:00 PM.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StephineS View Post
    Tangentially, if it's still up and running, check out 419eater.com. That site is a hoot.

In the 20 or so years of widespread email use, both the users and the crooks have become a lot more sophisticated. I finally got my dad to question emails from people he doesn't know. At least he has always been ultra careful about unsolicited bank and credit notices.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

JBN

Funny, I just received an email from PayPal saying that soemone had bought an eBook from my website. I have the customers name, address (USA) and email address. Since the eBook is just $9.95, the customer will be sent this to their email address.

If I could ever remember the PayPal password and details, I might even be able to get the money (including other money that is in that account).

John

Thread Information