French government moves on transport matters
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gerry freed

Thread: French government moves on transport matters

Default French government moves on transport matters

The lower house voted last night on a number of energy transition related matters and came up with a plan to allow employers to pay a tax deductible kilometrage for employees coming to work by bike (pedalled or electric). The rate per km will be fixed by the government.

While limited by France's financial crisis, they intend to continue their support of clean vehicles. The 60,000 charging stations intended for the end of this year are going ahead but will take 4 years to install. Bolloré are doing the implementation.
    They will introduce in the middle of 2015, a super bonus for buyers of low pollution vehicles, who live in cities and who scrap a car over 13 years old. This will be 2,500 euros for a rechargable hybrid and 3,700 euros for a pure electric car.

The bonus/malus scheme will then look like this
    http://www.lefigaro.fr/assets/infogr...onus_malus.png
    offering 10,000 bonus for an electric car paid for by a malus of 8000 euros imposed on the purchasers of heavy polluters.

Politically they have no hope of encouraging the transition to electric by raising petrol tax at the pumps. In spite of that the Greens are pushing for an increase in diesel tax. So if the stick is not working they are trying the carrot of a big discount on the vehicle purchase prices. In reality, that flows to the car makers allowing them to hold the prices high while volumes are low.

Advertisement

They will also next year allow on the roads vehicles with a plate marked "W -véhicle autonome" that are capable of operating without a driver but for the moment there will have to be someone in the driver's seat.

Thay have found 200 million euros to finance a fund to help the car component industry develop this and other new technologies whose main investor is PSA.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Very interesting. Thanks again Jerry.

How's the Panhard?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I have been struck down by a respiratory infection which I caught in the doctor's waiting room and so the project is temporarily on hold. The last thing I did before the argon ran out last week was to form and weld the last of the corner gussets supporting the floor and the jacking points. The next stage is to fit and weld the door sills and the rear seat support. Then I can clean up the bad welds (and there are many), paint the floor, fit the pipes for the brakes and fuel and turn the car onto its wheels. As the house is now sold we haven't got much time before it has to be packed. So I think that the most I can do is reassemble it to be drivable and finish off the bodywork and trim once we get installed in Tasmania.

How practically effective is the reworked bonus/malus scheme likely to be? How will the moves towards modern vehicles impact on the mobility of lower income people of all ages, both for "necessary" transport and recreation?

Politically very effective. The government runs on the maxim " A concession a day keeps the Greens at bay". Certainly the scheme thus far and it has been running several years, has seen a serious reduction in sales of the bigger, thirstier cars. The Prius has sold well as a taxi in Paris aided by the bonus.
    The electric transition is coming from another direction (which has hidden bonuses) and that is the kerbside rental. It has also stimulated the installation of charging stations. Now with Renault in that game we should see a burst of growth.
    The rental cars are experiencing the same degradation as have the bikes. Carelessness, vandalism, theft and lack of respect for public property are all leading to a significant damage rate. They have now done 180,000 rentals in Paris and have 50-70 cars per day in the workshops for repairs.

People are travelling less and using less fuel as a result of their economic difficulties. The poor as usual rely on the tail end of life on older cars and it is they that suffer with these schemes to get the older more polluting cars out of the fleet.
    The use of public transport is rising as is the use of two and three wheelers. Judging by the holiday season just passed, people travelled less and spent less. It was noticable that more are self catered, avoiding restaurants and still shopping for food, even when on holiday.
    I haven't seen any statistics on recreation generally but overall the public shifting its recreation pattern. VOD replacing cinema outings - growth in computer usage means staying at home. In the Paris area going to the footy means public transport - nowhere to park! An artificial beach on the Seine downtown means that you don't have to go to the coast to sun bathe and pose. Holiday areas like the one we live in were created in the days of rail, not cars and the trains are again carry the load. We see in summer more of the erratic driving that comes with people who never drive during the year except for renting a car for the holidays - an experience base of perhaps 2000kms/year.
    Most Australians still have jobs and some feel insecure. Most French have unemployed in the family, are insecure and national morale is low. In this climate recreation expenditure is the first to go.
    Last edited by gerry freed; 13th October 2014 at 01:05 AM.
    JohnW likes this.

Thread Information