BMW using PUG Power?!
  • Register
  • Help

Default BMW using PUG Power?!

Picked up the latest Wheels at the library (other people call it the newsagent) today and found a very short column on the Mini switching from the asthmatic 1.6 to GTi 180 power next year.

Advertisement

Anyone have anymore details?

Fellow Frogger!

Haven't seen that particular article but a couple of months ago I read that MINI were switching to Pug engines althou the story didn't say which ones. 133kw - nice, now lets see if they strap on a supercharger. How about Mr Cooper Jr's version...

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6
    Picked up the latest Wheels at the library (other people call it the newsagent) today and found a very short column on the Mini switching from the asthmatic 1.6 to GTi 180 power next year.

Anyone have anymore details?
    The news I have read from a combination of Wheels & Motor magazines is that from 2005 Mini Coopers will have the 100kw 206 GTi motor and the Mini Cooper S will have the 133kw GTi 180 motor.

I read somewhere that the deal also involves the sharing of a small diesel motor between BMW & the PSA group - but dont quote me on that as I cant find the article i read that in.

Michael
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

rek

Aren't they using Mexican-built Chrysler engines for now? That pedigree doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the current range...

I thought it was PSA and Ford that were developing a joint small diesel engine. Or was it PSA and Toyota. Or maybe both. And now BMW as well. ?
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Quote Originally Posted by rek
    Aren't they using Mexican-built Chrysler engines for now? That pedigree doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the current range...

I thought it was PSA and Ford that were developing a joint small diesel engine. Or was it PSA and Toyota. Or maybe both. And now BMW as well. ?
    Yeah they are currently using the same wheezy engine as is fitted to the Chrysler Neon - sadly yes - but they obviously change the tune of it to suit the mini's.

Michael
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

doesn't the mini have a pug box in it already ?

PSA are doing a deal with toyota and ford/jag hance the new jag has the 2.7 V6 diesel in it pumping out 202hp and 420nm from memory

i did post about it before but it vanished into the abbys
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    doesn't the mini have a pug box in it already ?
    Yep, and a pug front end. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!

nJm

Yep, PSA and Ford are working on diesels together. Ford and Ford's PAG use PSA Hdi engines, and I believe they have some technical input. The 2.7 V6 in question will appear in the 407, Jaguar X and S types, and new Volvos. Smaller HDi engines are shared between PSA and regular Ford cars (Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo).

I remember reading a year ago of so that BMW was going to help PSA develop petrol 4 cylinder engines. I'm not quite sure what the current deal with Toyota is.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

maybe we'll see some mini superchargers creeping ionto the pug range??
    1992 mi16
    Toyota aware driver
    there are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots..

at the library (other people call it the newsagent)
    we must be long lost twins - I must be known to half the newsagents in Sydney - have been asked to leave some as I am a magazine freeloader

Quote Originally Posted by mi16_weapon
    maybe we'll see some mini superchargers creeping ionto the pug range??
    Possibly - however as far as I know the pug motors arent really suited to turbocharging/supercharging. Some people have done it but it drastically reduces engine life

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    Possibly - however as far as I know the pug motors arent really suited to turbocharging/supercharging. Some people have done it but it drastically reduces engine life

Michael
    Michael,

I don;t understand that you said the mini would be using the gti 180 motor in the supercharged cooper and you are saying it reduces engine life?? I doubt a supercharger boosting under 5 psi could hurt them that much. Its guys who put huge amount of boost that wrecks them. just my

Nick

I guess BMW can kiss its JD Power rating goodbye if its true

I see the New Discovery is getting the 2.7 V6 as well that should give it a bit more grunt.
    Mark McKibbin

Nice to know these things... especially when a new Mini owner looks down his nose at your Pug... you can set him straight then!

Do they really have a Pug box now? Can we confirm that?

Quote Originally Posted by briz205
    Michael,

I don;t understand that you said the mini would be using the gti 180 motor in the supercharged cooper and you are saying it reduces engine life?? I doubt a supercharger boosting under 5 psi could hurt them that much. Its guys who put huge amount of boost that wrecks them. just my

Nick
    I dont know if the Cooper S from 05 will be supercharged....

Will be interesting to see though

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Nice to know these things... especially when a new Mini owner looks down his nose at your Pug... you can set him straight then!

Do they really have a Pug box now? Can we confirm that?
    Yes, it is true that Peugeot build gearboxes under contract for the Mini. I read a lot of criticisms of the gearbox - but I wonder if the criticisms are genuine or if they come AFTER the journalists find out it is made by Peugeot?!?

It's not unusual for competitors to be building components for each other. The Porsche Boxster for instance has its body panels pressed by BMW and its gearbox built by VW (In fact 1/2 of all Boxsters aren't even assembled by Porsche - they are assembled in Finland by Valmet).

Thread Information