You know it's a French car when...
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: You know it's a French car when...

1000+ Posts

Default You know it's a French car when...

The door pockets are big enough to fit at least one bottle of wine in them.

Advertisement
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

UFO

How about TWO? The C4 Picasso we leased in August in FranceYou know it's a French car when...-2014-08-14-19.13.14.jpg
    addo and CarNut like this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Then it's a French luxury car
    addo, UFO, DanielBendigo and 1 others like this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

COL

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    How about TWO? The C4 Picasso we leased in August in FranceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-08-14 19.13.14.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	61556
    Did the C4 Picasso have cup holders or glass holders
    FIVEDOOR likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

If the C4 is luxury, and the pockets are huge in them, what is the C5? A bottle of bitters or perhaps a silver hip flask is all that will fit.

C'mon, it's a C5. All you need is room for the credit card, road service details and a tray of antidepressants.
    27of85 and 68 404 like this.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    If the C4 is luxury, and the pockets are huge in them, what is the C5? A bottle of bitters or perhaps a silver hip flask is all that will fit.
    The single cup holder in the front of the C5 X7 is a piece of crap. It's inside the centre armrest and therefore inaccessible. I have a plastic hanger off the door to hold my morning travel mug of coffee as I drive to work.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I am not sure that works - didn't the original mini (i.e: mini) have door pockets designed specifically to take champagne bottles? I can't find a reference on the internet about it, so it must be true.... (I am sure I read it in a book many many years ago)

a TRUE french car has baguette holders as introduced in the original Renault Scenic.

The lovely French designed Koleos was specifically designed with Australia in mind. It has a very effective chilled glovebox which will hold a dozen cold 375ml cans of ale and keep them cold, whilst at the same time a moulding in each front door pocket holds a 750ml bottle of red, or white. Name your poison! In the rear floor it has two lidded compartments which each hold four 375ml cans of unchilled grog. How do I know this?
    StephineS likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

JBN

If you were drinking and driving, you wouldn't need the refrigerated glovebox.....unless of course, you were a slow drinker.

John

No, John, it's called refrigerated transport. Saves buying ice.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

it was built before 1974
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    The lovely French designed Koleos was specifically designed with Australia in mind. It has a very effective chilled glovebox which will hold a dozen cold 375ml cans of ale and keep them cold,
    Maybe useful in Victoria - everyone up here drinks stubbies. Will they fit?
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Whilst you lot up north have been sleeping, in Victoria we discovered that by putting beer in aluminium cans we could save millions of dollars in transporting beer around the country. As I am reliably informed, the difference in weight between steel cans and aluminium cans on a standard 40 Ft flat trailer load of palleted beer is one complete high load palllet full of beer. Glass stubbies are even heavier than steel, so one thing we can thank you stubbie drinkers for is keeping the price of beer up. And another thing, any beer produced outside of Victoria for mass consumption is absolute rubbish!

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofaus View Post
    I am not sure that works - didn't the original mini (i.e: mini) have door pockets designed specifically to take champagne bottles? I can't find a reference on the internet about it, so it must be true.... (I am sure I read it in a book many many years ago)

a TRUE french car has baguette holders as introduced in the original Renault Scenic.
    Indeed, according to his biography, the Mini was designed for the door pockets to accomodate several bottles of Sir Alec Issigonis' favourite tipple, Gilbey's Gin.

Here's a more modern example, 9 bottles of Hay Rummy Port from Ruberto's winery in Hay, NSW. Door belongs to No 3 Son's 1964 850 Van.

Sadly, the advent of wind up windows reduced their width to just under that of a wine bottle, but flat flasks still fit well!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails You know it's a French car when...-850-door.jpg  
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Has made it to the Hoist!
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

1000+ Posts

And another thing, any beer produced outside of Victoria for mass consumption is absolute rubbish!
    Are you trying to be silly? The worst disaster in Australian brewing was the spread of singularly insipid over-fizzed over-chilled Melbourne lagers around the country. Thank God for the small craft brewers now, and they are eating into the major's sales.

Real hairy chested men drink Old, the standard drop in the Hunter. (For Vics, it's a dark brown-black ale, full of flavour, and even nice unrefrigerated. Coopers is vaguely similar, though I prefer Old)

Didn't mind stout when I was a drinker. But Pottsy's photo is a hoot: "No officer, I haven't been drinking. Why do you ask?"

COL

Whilst you lot up north have been sleeping, in Victoria we discovered that by putting beer in aluminium cans we could save millions of dollars in transporting beer around the country. As I am reliably informed, the difference in weight between steel cans and aluminium cans on a standard 40 Ft flat trailer load of palleted beer is one complete high load palllet full of beer. Glass stubbies are even heavier than steel, so one thing we can thank you stubbie drinkers for is keeping the price of beer up. And another thing, any beer produced outside of Victoria for mass consumption is absolute rubbish!
    Real beer drinkers know that beer only tastes right when drank from glass.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Didn't mind stout when I was a drinker. But Pottsy's photo is a hoot: "No officer, I haven't been drinking. Why do you ask?"
    Notice they're all unopened Officer!
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Has made it to the Hoist!
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

I think the multitude of storage locations is a bit French, in the Scenics I often forget where something is and even forget where some of the hidden lockers are.

Bottles in the doors.... I can get Magnums in my Landrover Discovery.........

However, you know it's a French car when:
    ... various switches are placed in locations you can't possible reach and operate easily while driving?
    Again... Scenics (both of ours have switches in very wacko positions).

Having lived in the Hunter Valley when it was populated by Neanderthals, it had as I remember, more beers on tap than it had beer drinkers, in a vain and since aborted attempt to find one that was universally popular. Subsequent efforts by Sydney brewers to find a replacement for the sweet and sour, sticky, odd coloured and weirdly flavoured beers that pervade the state of NSW have failed dismally, no doubt due to the inability of their denizens to discern slops from real beer. This unfortunate circumstance precludes anyone from the state of NSW to comment, ridicule or otherwise put shit on proper beer brewed properly in a region of Australia long recognised by beer cognoscenti worldwide as the source of the best draught beer in the world, brewed and exported on a scale so huge that many other nations (let alone states) have given up brewing their own.

Recently I tilted the driver's seat right back to near-horizontal in my 605, to have a snooze whilst waiting 90 minutes. The reclining motor blew its fuse just as it reached the desired setting - I thought that very French.
    FedGrapes likes this.

COL

Having lived in the Hunter Valley when it was populated by Neanderthals, it had as I remember, more beers on tap than it had beer drinkers, in a vain and since aborted attempt to find one that was universally popular. Subsequent efforts by Sydney brewers to find a replacement for the sweet and sour, sticky, odd coloured and weirdly flavoured beers that pervade the state of NSW have failed dismally, no doubt due to the inability of their denizens to discern slops from real beer. This unfortunate circumstance precludes anyone from the state of NSW to comment, ridicule or otherwise put shit on proper beer brewed properly in a region of Australia long recognised by beer cognoscenti worldwide as the source of the best draught beer in the world, brewed and exported on a scale so huge that many other nations (let alone states) have given up brewing their own.
    You mean a pub with one beer on tap what sort of choice is that.

When I first went to NSW I thought I was spoilt to have a pick of about 5 different beers.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

As I said Col, not one of them was really any good......Resch's, Tooheys, Tooths, Pale Ale, Dinner Ale, Country Special, Old, New, I reckon the sheilas had the best idea for NSW beer, put half a glass of lemonade in it before you start, then put the concoction in the weed sprayer. Any beers that need a dash of green ginger or raspberry in them to make them palatable have a serious problem!

In my youth I used to make a lot of fruit wines.
    Never drank any just like the making of them.
    Best ever drop according to my brother in law (chief tester) was a sweet blackberry.

Sourcing bottles was a regular task.
    Many trips made from bottle collection agencies in the Austin A30 with bottles packed into every available space.
    Workplace Health and Safety would have a fit these days.

Paul.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information