France Sets New Single Month Electric Vehicle Sales Record In September
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gerry freed
  • 1 Post By gerry freed

Thread: France Sets New Single Month Electric Vehicle Sales Record In September

Banned

Default France Sets New Single Month Electric Vehicle Sales Record In September

Story here with some colorful graphs etc

1 hour ago by Mark Kane 3Comments

France surprised the world with a new electric car sales record in September.
    In total, 1,921 new EVs were registered, which is 61% more than in September of 2013.

As light delivery vehicles registrations declined by 26% to 407, all the growth comes from passenger cars – 1,514 of them in September. This is significantly better than March 2013 (2nd highest sales month in France since January 2013).

Advertisement

Number of registrations after nine months reached 10,046, from which 6,929 belong to passenger EVs and 3,117 to LCVs.

Renault ZOE is back to high growth with 914 registrations, which is its second best result ever.

ZOE had 60% share of all passenger EVs in France.

Second best was Nissan LEAF, which smashed its own record with 297 registrations (more than a hundred above its previous best April – 178).

Bollore Bluecars is the last model over a 100 registrations (136).

Other EV models do not sell so well. Just 19 new Tesla Model S were registered this past month.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

With the cost of a new Tesla in what for them is a secondary market, I would think 19 sales in a month pretty good. Project that out, that's 228 sales a year. Many high-end dealerships don't do that well.

Do we have percentages for the overall market? I mean, French market being 100%, what does 1921 registered equal?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

1000+ Posts

So,THAT'S what the Buzz was all about.........! I had no idea the French were interested in 'our'(U.S. ..)Tesla's. Interesting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    With the cost of a new Tesla in what for them is a secondary market, I would think 19 sales in a month pretty good. Project that out, that's 228 sales a year. Many high-end dealerships don't do that well.

Do we have percentages for the overall market? I mean, French market being 100%, what does 1921 registered equal?
    annual car sales in france of about 2,250,000.
    so the 1921 units equals about 0.0854%

at least it is increasing....

These statistics are registrations not sales and the blue cars and quite a few of the Zoê are going into on-street rental schemes.
    Annualised they are about 1% of the market.
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Banned

what is the difference between registrations and sales? i see the story treats them as the same thing.

Lazy journalism.
    A sale is when someone assumes ownership and is usually taken to mean sold to the public. Registration or immatriculation is when the car is authorised for use on the public roads. Cars transferred to dealers may well be registered but not actually sold. Cars like the Blue car which are built by Bolloré and are registered so that they can be rented by the clients of Autolib' etc are still within the same corporate ownership and so it is a moot point whether they are sold. Now that Renault has joined with Bolloré to operate these rental schemles and will be providing the Zoê and other vehicles, the electric car registrations will move way ahead of sales to the public.
    There has been a lot of sniping in the industry over comparative sales, as in Australia when one company takes into account a volume stuffed into the dealer showrooms pre year end and another does not.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Banned

so is the 1921 number really registrations, or sales?
    i take it you are saying that it is sales and that registrations are actually a fair bit higher, right?

ta

Lests go back to the beginning. Who published this article and why?
    The source data appears to be this

Immatriculations de voitures électriques en Septembre en France : record battu !
    which refers to immatriculations (registrations) and not sales.
    Here are the official industry stats for sept. from the manufacturers association whose source data is government statistics on immatriculations collated by AAA Data.
    I recall a book probably long out of print called "How to lie with statistics". The line I remember best was about the statistician who drowned in a river on average 6 inches deep.
    There is no point in comparing a monthly registration figure with a total market annual one - stick to like for like unless you want to mislead.
    It is very easy to mislead with these small volumes of electric vehicles with the busy efforts to influence government policy by using various definitions of sales. For example, the government to prime the pump has at various times ordered small fleets of electric vehicles. These taken as sales contracts in any one month, don't help to understand how many vehicles are actually on the road and in use. With the complexities of leasing, rental, direct sales, in-house use etc. the benchmark is registrations.
    Here are the monthly stats for september in France once again quoting immatriculations.
    http://www.ccfa.fr/IMG/pdf/communiqu...bre_2014ok.pdf

In the situation where cars are going into rental or loan fleets owned by the makers then there may not be a sale recorded, just the regisration. While these fleets are being set up, logically sales are less that registrationsand at some stage in the future those vehicles will be sold (or scrapped) in which case the sale will be recorded somewhere but not in the stats for new vehicle registration.

It is made more difficult if you try to combine US sales hype from companies like Tesla with French industry statistics. Again it is not like for like.

Away from the journalism, what is actually happening is that the government in France, local and national, is putting in help and legislation to encourage the use of zero urban pollution vehicles. The effect on car sales remains small as they are not yet ready to set the petrol pump prices so high as to force the change. The ease of registration of electric bikes, scooters and quadricycles is another matter.

1000+ Posts

"How to lie with statistics".

Author: Daniel Huff, as I recall. I used it decades ago in an undergraduate reasoning course.

cheers! Peter

Thread Information