Self storage for car any recommendations?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By bluey504
  • 1 Post By angru

Thread: Self storage for car any recommendations?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Self storage for car any recommendations?

I'm demolishing my shed in the next couple of weeks an having another one built in its place.
    Problem is, I have a lot of stuff in the shed that I'll need to keep somewhere, (one partly complete project car, equipment including press, parts washer, shelving, large bench, tools, an lots of engines/ gearboxes/ parts).
    Wondered if anybody has advice on putting this sort of stuff into storage? Is a general place like storage king or something going to be allright to store the car and equipment? It's mainly the car and press and equipment that needs to be stored offsite.
    Has anybody got any recommendations of a self storage place? I'm in kinglake so somewhere northern suburbs of Melbourne would be good. Also, any ideas on how much these places charge for short term (2-3 months).

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by angru View Post
    I'm demolishing my shed in the next couple of weeks an having another one built in its place.
    Problem is, I have a lot of stuff in the shed that I'll need to keep somewhere, (one partly complete project car, equipment including press, parts washer, shelving, large bench, tools, an lots of engines/ gearboxes/ parts).
    Wondered if anybody has advice on putting this sort of stuff into storage? Is a general place like storage king or something going to be allright to store the car and equipment? It's mainly the car and press and equipment that needs to be stored offsite.
    Has anybody got any recommendations of a self storage place? I'm in kinglake so somewhere northern suburbs of Melbourne would be good. Also, any ideas on how much these places charge for short term (2-3 months).
    Dear angru,

I hope you are sitting down. We looked at this with a few of the storage places and a single car roller door type storage was something like $350+ a month in Greensborough. The best we could do was a possible storage place in Box Hill where there are open cages for something like $250 a month. We didn't follow up either, but instead followed up a lead on a rustic under-used shed close to home with a sympathetic owner, made an approach then an offer so we have (very rustic dirt floor no power) storage for 2 cars and a heap of "stuff" for $100 a month on a year by year deal.

Suggest for a short 2-3 month period you ask every person you know (family friends neighbours workmates etc) if anyone knows of an empty garage or carport with an owner wiling to make a small amount of cash for a mutually beneficial arrangement. And if you find one with spare capacity beyond your own needs then please drop me a line! We are in the market for something a bit better if we can.

If you have space apart from the shed area, for the sake of a few months inconvenience maybe buy a big tarp or two and just cover everything up and save the $$$$?

Cheers Leconte
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

What about hiring a container? Delivered to your site, get a 'bloke' in with a All terrain forklift and buy yourself a pallet jack and some 'free firewood/pallets' and your away. Nothing leaves the sight, it's cheap/quick and you end up with a pallet jack. (Max cost $3-400 and can be used as a possible Citroen lifting device!).
    Brendan.
    addo and pug206gti like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Shipping container sounds good, will look into that. Thanks.

It's one of the options with residual value, too.

Sent a pm today as an option

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks screwg1, and thanks all who responded. I made some enquiries re shipping containers this morning, then this Arvo had a lady from down the street offer me her garage space .
    lozenge likes this.

Thread Information