Sydney Petrol Prices
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Sydney Petrol Prices

JBN

Default Sydney Petrol Prices

These last few weeks have been bliss. The Sydney petrol price cycle seems to have had the wheels fall off. Best of all, its at a relatively low point.

I have enjoyed the stress free exercise of just filling up the cars when they have needed it, paying a fair price and not being bombarded by useless graphs explaining where we are on the petrol price cycle, when we need to buy petrol, when we need to hold off buying, etc.

Its nice to just observe the fuel guage and use that as a guide on when to buy. I hope the oil companies have lost interest in the swings and roundabouts and keep this style of pricing. Much as it was over the half century before "discounting".

Advertisement

John
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

What's the going Rate for a Gallon 'down there?' I just paid $3.39(Per-Gallon..)on Monday Afternoon to fill the 26-Gallon Tank of my '66 Chevy Impala(V8/Automatic...).

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    These last few weeks have been bliss. The Sydney petrol price cycle seems to have had the wheels fall off. Best of all, its at a relatively low point.

I have enjoyed the stress free exercise of just filling up the cars when they have needed it, paying a fair price and not being bombarded by useless graphs explaining where we are on the petrol price cycle, when we need to buy petrol, when we need to hold off buying, etc.

Its nice to just observe the fuel guage and use that as a guide on when to buy. I hope the oil companies have lost interest in the swings and roundabouts and keep this style of pricing. Much as it was over the half century before "discounting".

John
    I've noticed this as well. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the ACCC has just instituted proceedings against the petrol companies for the way that they all share their price data with one another through a service called "Informed Sources"?
    niks and Kenfuego like this.

Quote Originally Posted by StephineS View Post
    What's the going Rate for a Gallon 'down there?' I just paid $3.39(Per-Gallon..)on Monday Afternoon to fill the 26-Gallon Tank of my '66 Chevy Impala(V8/Automatic...).
    You've got funny small gallons over there haven't you - only 3.8 litres.

Our petrol prices are obviously different depending on the grade of fuel, but around $1.50/l is normal, so about AUD5.70 per US gallon, or about US$5.30 per US gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    Our petrol prices are obviously different depending on the grade of fuel, but around $1.50/l is normal, so about AUD5.70 per US gallon, or about US$5.30 per US gallon.
    I haven't noticed prices that high in Brisbane for 2/3 weeks. Today's price was 133.9 per litre. I read somewhere that excess supply was resulting in lower prices.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    I haven't noticed prices that high in Brisbane for 2/3 weeks. Today's price was 133.9 per litre. I read somewhere that excess supply was resulting in lower prices.
    The price for 95 octane is about $1.34 per litre. I use 98 octane which is about $1.56 per litre.

I think the excess supply is caused by the poor people that don't have cars and therefore don't need petrol, or do have cars but can't afford petrol. Bloody poor people. They don't work. Don't buy cars. Don't buy petrol. They are stuffing this country.I would tax them until they changed if they had something that could be taxed.

John
    Kim Luck, 27of85, lion5 and 2 others like this.

You guys are cheap, in Darwin 95 octane is $1.73/litre and 98 octane $2.04/litre. Go bush and you add another $0.50/litre at least

NT Reno

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by nt reno View Post
    You guys are cheap, in Darwin 95 octane is $1.73/litre and 98 octane $2.04/litre. Go bush and you add another $0.50/litre at least
    And ironically you guys are now closer to where quite a lot of fuel for Australia is refined - Singapore.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Banned

for most of this year, the downward portion of the price cycle has been about 15 or 16 days.
    the current run of falling prices has been 11 days.
    the impression that sydney prices have been stable is an illusion, and predictions of the end of the price cycle very much premature.

of course it is harder to now know what is happening with petrol prices, as the ACCC no longer buys data from Informed Sources and publishes it daily on its own website. as it did till some weeks ago.

sydney petrol prices for august
    Sydney Petrol Prices-sydney-aug-petrol.jpg
    Last edited by alexander; 4th September 2014 at 05:13 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

At the risk of getting hounded down, I've gotten to the stage where I don't worry too much about the price of petrol any more. A 10 cent per litre price difference only equates to an extra $6 for 60 litres of fuel and I just can't get excited about that. I do 120kms a day commuting from home to work and home again, so I need to fill up when I need to and there's not alot that I can do about that. I remember my Mum driving MILES when we were kids to save on fuel but, of course, that used fuel to do that anyway, lol. I guess that's a woman's logic perhaps. I don't know. And she drove a Morris 850 so you can't squeeze alot of juice into those anyway.
    I guess I could count myself fortunate in that I pass alot of fuel stations in the course of my commute, and I do take note of which are charging what. It's always the same ones at the extreme ends of the pricing spectrums, so I just choose the appropriate place to fill up. But when all is said and done, I just have plenty of other things to occupy my feeble brain and I can't run the risk of straining it by worrying too much about $6.
    Goddess fan likes this.

Banned

well, you are certainly letting the complain-about-everything australian society down badly!
    virtually unpatriotic, these days.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

for months now 98ulp has been 1.72/l every damn day here
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts

fortunately/unfortunately I have a few cars so when it bottoms out I fill them all up;then don't return until price bottoms out again

$1.48/lt in Clare SA this week, a relief from the $1.55/lt 6 monthly average ...
    Kenfuego likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    well, you are certainly letting the complain-about-everything australian society down badly!
    virtually unpatriotic, these days.
    LOL!! You are absolutely right!! Isn't it funny that the government goes on about collusion and gouging by the fuel companies but then doesn't give the ACCC any real teeth to do something about it? We never hear the government talking about the massive tax revenues they reap (there's an anagram of that word that might also be appropriate) from fuel sales. Oh, but then they will remind you it's not really a tax....it's an "excise". Between the oil companies and the government, the motorist is bent over a barrel. An oil barrel, of course, lol.
    Doh!! I knew it!!! Now my brain is hurting, lol!!
    Cheers
    Steve
    niks likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Under our constitution only two means of tax is lawful excise and duty. don't forget also we have another tax on a tax called gst. petrol comes into Australia at 3 cents a litre which is why the shell, mobil and caltex do not refine it anymore. The whole fuel issue is a dog and pony show to keep the sheeples amused and not taking real action when it comes to election time. like surprise everyone by kicking both major parties out of government and having a real one filled with independents as intended by our constitution. why this will never happen is the majority of people live in fear of their shadow and only do what others tell them to do. like follow a how to vote card, which are illegal under the electoral act as its not lawful to tell someone who to vote for. I wonder how many actually demand that "how to voters" are removed from polling places.
    I also wonder just how many people in Australia realise that the 1953 double taxation act put into place by the criminal party leader menzies in exchange for a knighthood. It allows any foreign company whose main office is offshore to enjoy a tax free operation here in Australia while we slaves have to pick up the shortfall without a whimper except to complain amongs ourselves over a beer and by the second beer have forgotten just what we were complaining about but dont worry because the footy show or game has just appeared on tv to keep us amused and not able to think.
    Last edited by niks; 4th September 2014 at 10:58 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

EXACTLY!!! How to vote cards!!! Man, that annoys the hell out of me when you turn up to a booth and get those shoved under your nose!! In the old days, politicians would represent their constituents for a time, and then go back to their "day jobs". Now they make a career out of politics and the gravy train has gotten so bloody long and so bloody deep that they will or say anything to keep their noses in it. It's pathetic.
    And then you have the media manipulating the minds of the mindless......the idiots that can't think for themselves or worse.....the ones who waste their votes on "donkey votes" or voting for Dr Suess or Humpty Dumpty or whatever other rubbish they put on their ballot papers.
    I think it's disturbing that major parties seek to gag MPs that don't concur with the party line, or who seek to represent the views of their electorate even though those views may differ from the party line. The thing that really confuses the average voter is the preferential voting system. "On vote one value" just doesn't exist in this country.
    Cheers
    Steve
    niks likes this.

JBN

My local Federal MP is Scott Morrison. In a moment of stupidity, he sent a Community Survey to all members of his electorate. The real kicker is he left a space titled - IN PARLIAMENT If you could raise one issue in the Federal Parliament, what would it be?

Rest assured it will be a long question from me, based loosely on Why should our elected politicians, those that create the rules and laws surrounding compulsory superannuation, have a different system for themselves, one not voted upon by the electorate?

Should they not, if they wish to be perceived as leaders, lead by example. Why should they not contribute to their own superannuation whilst serving members of parliament, out of their generous salaries?

Upon retiring from parliament either take up some other employment (if they are deemed "employable"), go onto Centrelink or retire on THEIR life savings?

I still prefer the old days when our elected monkeys just got peanuts.

John
    niks likes this.

1000+ Posts

Icon5 Lets see how long the downturn lasts!!

Quote Originally Posted by CarNut View Post
    LOL!! You are absolutely right!! Isn't it funny that the government goes on about collusion and gouging by the fuel companies but then doesn't give the ACCC any real teeth to do something about it? We never hear the government talking about the massive tax revenues they reap (there's an anagram of that word that might also be appropriate) from fuel sales. Oh, but then they will remind you it's not really a tax....it's an "excise". Between the oil companies and the government, the motorist is bent over a barrel. An oil barrel, of course, lol.
    Doh!! I knew it!!! Now my brain is hurting, lol!!
    Cheers
    Steve
    Yep, and it is ALL governments sadly. I recall the great hope of motorists that the Labor Party under Julia would actually do something to bring down the ever rising fuel price - lots of promises - much tub thumping, threats to "fix" the problems, but absolutely no action, ACCC kept as a toothless tiger - and the oil companies do as they have always done in recent years, use spin merchants, artificial so called discount cycles that keep the profit margins while appearing to benefit some as the illusion is played out.

Even when one of the parties under John Howard tried to help by actually cutting the fuel excise, the industry absorbed that cut by adding to their profit margin - motorists reamed again.

Bob Hawke was elected on a promise to drastically cut fuel excise, but knackered by his party when asked which social programs he was going to cut to reflect the billions they would not be getting from that excise tax, so yeah fat hope for motorists in that scenario.

The only time we motorists get a fair go is when suppliers in the worldwide crude and refining network are committed to selling/have to sell and this creates a glut of product on the world market and that puts downward pressure on pricing.

But then the oil industry usually fixes that glut, by removing excess production and storing it in floating ships, storage facilities to (I love this spin) "stabilize the market", they even have a name for it CoTango - dancing around the issue wherebye some countries would prosecute them for Cartel collusion, so enjoy the "glut" it won't last and when I see the ACCC actually prosecute and win the case, I will revise my thinking on their ability to be the real friend of the much reamed motorist!

Of course there will always be some well heeled motorists that either have their fuel subsidized or are over paid for what they actually do, and couldn't care less with higher fuel prices or that some on less income have genuine difficulty caused by their individual and family circumstances. Their ability to work (and for much less pay) is the key to them being prepared to scrimp on lesser priorities so they can pay ever rising domestic prices.

The recent takeup of organized bulk fuel buy/concession deals are indicative of rising concern in the community - raises hopes that "someone" will do something for those that can't change things on their own.

I did wonder if raising the excise annually for those that could afford, and using that to compensate those that clearly can't afford, was a better way to go, as it would increase market pressure (real competition) to lower profit margins over the production to domestic supply system controlled by the multi national companies.
    With many levels of profit in the supply chain and considerable leeway to cut the overall accumulated profit at each level such taxing could shift market pressure squarely on the industry itself to justify each individual increase.

But that won't happen either. But you never know!!

Ken

I love physically intimidating the "How to Vote" lackeys. Once you shirtfront the first, the rest all back off very promptly. I've also measured the distance from the polling booth to where they stand, and offered to mark it with line paint for the polling station supervisors. That elicits at least a temporary instruction to them, to back off.
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

Sheep. The Damn things are everywhere!
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    The price for 95 octane is about $1.34 per litre. I use 98 octane which is about $1.56 per litre.

I think the excess supply is caused by the poor people that don't have cars and therefore don't need petrol, or do have cars but can't afford petrol. Bloody poor people. They don't work. Don't buy cars. Don't buy petrol. They are stuffing this country.I would tax them until they changed if they had something that could be taxed.

John
    Careful your channeling your inner Joe Hockey.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Niks, do you have a link of some sort to your claim that refined fuel is landed in Australia for 3 cents a litre? I find that incredibly difficult to believe. Just handling it onto the tanker has to cost that. Considering whatever taxes and fees Singapore imposes on refined fuel, I can squint and imagine 30 cents a litre.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

JBN

Now you are splitting hairs between non cents and 3 cents.

John

Fellow Frogger!

I often fantasise about having my own hydrogen gas generating set up and the ability to compress it to run a car on hydrogen. Imagine having the capability to separate hydrogen from oxygen in your own home, on a scale large enough to run your own car/s without ever having to go to a petrol bowser again. Wouldn't that be awesome? Imagine the government filling their underpants at the thought of losing out on all that tax....eerrm, sorry EXCISE.....revenue. I often fantasise about having a big rainwater tank and the means to convert that to hydrogen gas, using solar energy to aid the process instead of using electricity from the grid. Totally free....after set up costs, of course. Imagine how much extra money we'd all have to play with if we didn't have to buy fuel?. Oh well, dreams are free............
    Kenfuego likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information