406hdi V C5hdi
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 406hdi V C5hdi

Default 406hdi V C5hdi

Guys and Gals I am throwing the idea of a Novated Lease in the air. I have several cars on my short list, (unfortunately funds are not sufficient or even close to buy a V10 Touareg(drooool)) but high on the list is the 406Hdi and the C5 Hdi, looking for something up to two yrs old. Now for the question, without starting a Citroen V Pug war what are the various merits and demerits of each vehicle.

Advertisement

Stick with what I know or cross over to the dark side. On another note I saw a b e a utiful DS 23 in CBR today rego DS 023.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

UFO

C5 is built on the new common platform that the yet to be released 407 is being built on - mind you on the same production line would you believe!!

You can get a C5 now - it will be a long wait for a 407.

406 is on old platform.

C5 is hatch and has beautiful Citroen ride and handling.

406 is available in manual with diesel - C5 is not.

406 seemingly has higher retained value.

C5 is also available as Wagon (would have one in a flash)
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

If you're interested, Damon Beck has a beaut, very clean 100 000km 406HDi manual in his lot (just arrived) for ~$28 000. First registered late 2001, at Coles Peugeot in Lismore.

I sat in it today - still SMELLS like new and not a mark anywhere. Very spacious Let me know if you want photos.

Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    If you're interested, Damon Beck has a beaut, very clean 100 000km 406HDi manual in his lot (just arrived) for ~$28 000. First registered late 2001, at Coles Peugeot in Lismore.

I sat in it today - still SMELLS like new and not a mark anywhere. Very spacious Let me know if you want photos.

Derek.
    Yes please, other info too like leather? etc. Though it is getting old for a lease car must be no more than 5 yrs old at end of lease term so only a 2 year lease on that one.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

nJm

I think in the end it will come down to personal preference or just what is available. The C5 apparently has 2kw and 5nm more than the 406. The C5 Estate is HUGE. They look fantastic in black with those chrome roof rails

The 406 of course is available with a manual in both estate and sedan, so that might be an important thing for you.

Given that hyrdaulic Citroens have terrible resale values in this country (you can buy a Xantia with 70,000km for $11k at a dealer!), you will probably be able to get a newer car.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you buy. It is a pity Renault don't sell their 1.9 DCi engine out here. Is meant to be fantastic, even in the Laguna.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I think damon beck even has a great white looking xantia wagon on the lot....for sale.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    Yes please, other info too like leather? etc. Though it is getting old for a lease car must be no more than 5 yrs old at end of lease term so only a 2 year lease on that one.
    Why aren't you looking for a HDi turbo deisel 'Cruiser' crusierman ... Personally I think they should be sold with the 'Ultimate' bolted to there towbar, but anyway ....

I'd probably go for the C5 for no reason other than they are the more modern design, have self leveling suspension. Unfortunatly they look quite bland, but hey the Pug is no better I'd have a C5 HDi for Ang tomorrow ... if I won tattslotto (which is bloody hard 'cos I've never bought a ticket in my life ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

this is something my father has been toying with for quite a while
    he owuld only get a wagon though

he loves the idea of the suspension in the C5

he doesn't like that they only come in auto

he loves the look of the 406 wagon and he also thinks the C5 doesn't have the sweet lines of the 406 wagon

he also likes that the C5 has a lot of little features that the 406 doesn't have but the 406 has a few that the C5 doesn't have but the C5 features outnumber the 406 features

when it all comes down to it his personal preference was the 406 for looks and manual which outwieghed the looks of the C5 plus it only came in auto

he would have a manual C5 wagon if they looked a little better or 406 wagon with self levelling suspension

i'll stick to wanting to play with a CX and still having pugs

the only 406 i would have would be an SV manual (love petrol cars)
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    I think damon beck even has a great white looking xantia wagon on the lot....for sale.
    Hmmn C5 or 406 dont recall mentioning a xantia at all. It does not fit within the lease arrangements.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Why aren't you looking for a HDi turbo deisel 'Cruiser' crusierman ... Personally I think they should be sold with the 'Ultimate' bolted to there towbar, but anyway ....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    It has been thought about but the cost to get a new one to the standard of my current cruiser puts it out of the equation. Besides it would take too many trips to get all the scratches back in the right places. It is used for off road work, serious fire trails and getting to out of the way places to camp and unwind, or to go to areas that test your and your cars ability to traverse very difficult terrain, including 1-1.5 metre high ledges.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    Neil... here's the photos.
    Damon got a C5 HDi with leather in this morning. It's $42990, with 2800km or so on the clock (Citroen company car). It's 0104 Compliance and 0104 Registered

Photos are uploading now (will take 45 mins to complete) so if they don't work, come back in a little while. The DSCN0258 photo was dodgy, it's not missing.
    Derek
    Thanks for that Deka they look like they are both well looked after vehicles, (albeit the Cit for not very long) and both would be fine for the lease arrangements. I have to check out the details and see how the finances work in my favour.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

1000+ Posts

No worries Cruiserman - glad I could help!

The *tiny* scratch on the rear left 406 wheel was the only mark I could find on either of the cars. I'd be happy to buy either of them myself if I had the money or the requirements for one.

You know the contact details? Gladesville Prestige Cars anyway.

If you're after a cheaper/smaller diesel, there's a 306 sedan there too. I think it was $19 000... I should have looked more closely.

Derek.

Thread Information