Shut Up and Drive
  • Register
  • Help
    JBN

Default Shut Up and Drive

The following article appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald.
    Sydney model Sarah Durazza's last words were heard by her boyfriend as they spoke on the phone, a distraction that probably led to her premature death.

The tragedy should serve as a "terrible warning" of the dangers of inattention while driving, Deputy State Coroner Hugh Dillon said in delivering his findings on Friday into the 26-year-old's death.

Durazza, described as a "bright, vivacious, high-spirited young woman", was driving on the Wakehurst Parkway at Narrabeen on Sydney's Northern Beaches about 7.30pm on August 26 last year when her car crossed lanes, rolled and slammed into a tree. Sarah Durazza died when her car hit a tree. Her boyfriend, Scott Bidder, and Durazza's mother were among the first at the scene

Advertisement

"Mrs Durazza immediately understood that Sarah was either very badly injured or dead. She fell to her knees in distress," Magistrate Dillon wrote.

The young model and beautician from Mona Vale had been talking on her phone with Mr Bidder, whom she'd argued with earlier in the day.

"During the first few seconds of that last call, Sarah lost control of her vehicle and skidded off the road into bushland beside the Wakehurst Parkway," Magistrate Dillon found.

The crash was heard over the phone as it happened.

"The fact that she was on the phone immediately before the accident and said, 'Oh shit...' as she answered the phone call from Mr Bidder is highly suggestive that it was the act of answering the phone ... that caused her to take her eye off the road momentarily but sufficiently long for her to run onto the verge."

"Sadly, Sarah's death is a case study in the dangers of distractions for drivers."

"A motor vehicle can be transformed into a deadly weapon in a moment by inattention or distraction."

------------------------------------

Such a sad story, yet much of our car advertising focusses on all the "distractions" offered to make this the ride of your life. Perhaps your last ride.

John

1000+ Posts

Icon13

I never Drive with a 'Phone in my Ear. Sad that She had to die in a such a stupid way. That accident didn't have to happen. ~Steph.

JBN

Default Volkswagen - Eyes On The Road

An interesting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHixeIr_6BM

John

COL

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I like that video it certainly gets the message across.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Yes,but will People 'listen'...hopefully NOT to Someone on the other end??

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I would .... I can't be bothered answering the phone at the best of times, let alone when I'm driving. I always figure it's important the person will ring again ... and again ... and maybe leave messages that I'll likely hear in about 6weeks time if I can be bothered listening to them

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

When I posted this back in 2012 on a related topic Thread: Masturbation and Driving

there was no response. Probably because we all use our phone or have done so while driving.

1st October 2012, 08:31 AM #8
    dvr

Fellow Frogger! Join DateNov 2010LocationSydneyPosts206

[RBT led to a significant improvement in driver responsibility regarding drink driving.

Automatic 3 month licence suspension for using the phone would do the same.

Whilst smoking or eating an ice cream etc can be a distraction they are largely mindless. Talking on the phone is a cognitive activity which impedes the thinking that goes with controlling a vehicle. End quote.]

There will be more needless and tragic road fatalities until our politicians have the courage and guts to make automatic suspension for phone use, whilst operating a vehicle, law.

I've revised my original three months and now reckon one month automatic loss for the first two offences. If there's a third offence, then six months should impress those who place us all at risk.

The use of any device is just the same as a bucket full drugs, do not allow any person regardless; the law is the LAW there is no need to caution any person if you have a valid licence to drive any vehicle then you should know simple road law's when did and this bullshit about the first and second and 3rd offence is just revenue gathering.Has anyone on this Forum seen a 8 year child seen her head crushed under a very large truck because he had parked on the road whilst talking on his 2way radio, moved off slow with without looking killed that child who was passing the truck, and that was on a Christmas eve in over 50 years of driving including trucks as well all types of cars with just one $10.00 fine. I was behind that child when the truck moved out he did not even see me. I will never forget that, and I still suffer, I am not sure about the driver, all I can say is he was a mess. Tony

Quote Originally Posted by august moon View Post
    The use of any device is just the same as a bucket full drugs, do not allow any person regardless; the law is the LAW there is no need to caution any person if you have a valid licence to drive any vehicle then you should know simple road law's when did and this bullshit about the first and second and 3rd offence is just revenue gathering.Has anyone on this Forum seen a 8 year child seen her head crushed under a very large truck because he had parked on the road whilst talking on his 2way radio, moved off slow with without looking killed that child who was passing the truck, and that was on a Christmas eve in over 50 years of driving including trucks as well all types of cars with just one $10.00 fine. I was behind that child when the truck moved out he did not even see me. I will never forget that, and I still suffer, I am not sure about the driver, all I can say is he was a mess. Tony
    Tony, that make me shiver.

At 22 driving my 404 (too fast) I was faced with an emergency stop to avoid a kid on the skate board.
    I threw out the anchors and stopped .
    The kid's head was 1 foot in front of my left front wheel. It was lucky for both of us I'd recently fitted a set of Michelin XAS.

That was 40 years ago - I've never forgotten.

As a truck driver who saw the incident and stopped said "that kid was kissed on the d!ck by a fairy" - I've never forgotten that either.

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

I'm not sure if your comments about cautions, first second and third offence is reference to my post or not. If it is (although I didn't make any comment about cautions), do you really think auto suspension of one's DL would just be revenue gathering? There is no current effective method that will make the majority of motorists more responsible drivers and not talk on the phone?

Random breath testing is something we all accept these days. It wasn't like that back in the early 80's when introduced.

I haven't witnessed anything near traumatic like you have. I have though studied plenty of forensic reports and been involved in court cases that have moved me about the unnecessary loss of life, injury and wider sufferings caused by lost car control due to phone use.

Automatic suspension when caught would hammer home the problem and make roads more safer.

NSW led the world with RBT. It should do it again with automatic suspension for using a phone whilst in control of a car.

COL

Its not just drivers, its pedestrians as well. I have had several people walk out in front of me while I have been driving.

These people need a lecture from Charles Darwin.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

JBN

Today I visited my elder sister and husband in Wollongong. They had driven down from Port Macquarie last week in a 1999 Camry.

Stopped at a roundabout near Campbelltown, the fourth car back, they were hit by a young driver from behind. The force of the accident was enough to deploy the airbags on the car that hit them as well as pushing their vehicle into the car in front.

When the police attended the accident, they took possession of a mobile phone that was on the floor of the young drivers car. It appears that may have taken the drivers attention away from her driving.

The Camry was written off. Fortunately, the father-in-law of my sister's son had a 1999 Commodore that he wanted to get rid of, so now they will drive back in a Holden. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

John

Thread Information