Alfa 147 GTA
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Alfa 147 GTA

Default Alfa 147 GTA Drive

I know this is totally unrelated to French cars but I thought it was worth a mention!!

I had the chance to go for a thrash in the new 147GTA.......All I can say is UNBELIEVABLE!!! That thing is a rocket with wheels!!

Just a bit of a summary:
    - Front wheel drive...what a disappointment, all that power should be going to the back wheels.
    - Driver and Passenger seats were good, but notas good as the GTi180.
    - Put your foot down and this thing comes alive, and rips off down the road, with a slightly agressive sounding engine, inside the car you can hear the car roar, but it's not very load.
    - Once your moving it doesn't take long to work your way through the 6 speed box...nice!!
    - Handling felt good for the time I was in it, a little difficult to really judge in such a short time....I still think French cars handle better.
    - I found the same issue with this car as I did with the GTi180, if the rear steps out, you loose the throttle when Traction Control kicks in, making very difficult to steer into to slide....But the good thing is you just switch it off!
    - This car is an absolute ball riper!! I just goes so hard that it makes me want to buy one. Lets hope the v6 clio is something like this.
    - Under the bonnet the car is a work of art, plenty of chrome and everything is visible, not like most new engine that have 5 million plastic covers. Only thing I saw was the timing belt would be a bitch to change, no room at all.
    - Brakes were nice, no problem pulling the car up at any speed, didn't experience any fade, once again a longer stint would have been nice.

In all great car to drive, as I said before needed to be rear wheel drive, but I'd still buy one. This thing would be an absolute weapon on the track, and I think it would give most of the turbo cars out there a real run for their money!!

Advertisement
    Last edited by Gak306; 2nd March 2004 at 10:37 PM.

When will the Italians learn? Too much power in a FWD won't work? Wasn't the Lancia Thema 8.3.2 experience enough??

They have to go either 4WD or RWD. Reportedly the next generation Alfas will be engineered for optinal 4WD.

When I got out of the car I remember saying exactly that....This DAMN thing should be All Wheel Drive.

Alfa worked very hard at ensuring even weight distribution at the front end to prevent torque steer. It has equal weighted drive shafts.

So, with all of that. What was it that FWD failed to deliver here? Alfa have always been tuned to understeer and not oversteer very easily.

VDC in that Alfa is the same as my ST. It's very good.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Alfa worked very hard at ensuring even weight distribution at the front end to prevent torque steer. It has equal weighted drive shafts.

So, with all of that. What was it that FWD failed to deliver here? Alfa have always been tuned to understeer and not oversteer very easily.

Nothing wrong with front wheel drive, it just would have been nice for this beast to be rear wheel drive. Nothing failed to be delivered at all, it has still got all of it's competition wondering how they can match this beast, an absolutely fantastic drive, needs to be on the track though.

Quote Originally Posted by B E R E T
    When will the Italians learn? Too much power in a FWD won't work? Wasn't the Lancia Thema 8.3.2 experience enough??

They have to go either 4WD or RWD. Reportedly the next generation Alfas will be engineered for optinal 4WD.
    As I said in my last post, Alfa have learnt from that. They've developed a car that puts more power through the front wheels than they previously thought possible. I haven't seen anything from any credible source that bags that car because it's FWD, but more because of it's soft settings.

Vic, I'll scan up a handling article from Autocar, where the Alfa doesn't do that well on the track, even when running Yoko A032RS! Focus RS was the better of the two, but probably not as good on the road. I think the 147 is the best of the 3 hyper hatches foe every day use. The third being Golf R32...going to take one of those for a drive soon?

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Gak306
    Nothing wrong with front wheel drive, it just would have been nice for this beast to be rear wheel drive. Nothing failed to be delivered at all, it has still got all of it's competition wondering how they can match this beast, an absolutely fantastic drive, needs to be on the track though.
    After their first prototypes they did massive re-work of the front suspension, when they realise just how much GRUNT this puppie had.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

See, told you so

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    After their first prototypes they did massive re-work of the front suspension, when they realise just how much GRUNT this puppie had.
    That's why you don't have plain jane vanilla ice cream Toyota Camry Macpherson Struts at the front

Not easy channelling that much power through the front (and higher power levels are becoming more important as kerb weight increases) unless you have a very good (ie. expensive) design there.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

what's the turning circle on this bugger? What suspension does it have?

what's the turning circle on this bugger? What suspension does it have?
    According to Alfa Australia's website the turning circle is 12.1m, and it has dual wishbone front end.

What was the turning circle of the GTi6?

Troy.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    According to Alfa Australia's website the turning circle is 12.1m, and it has dual wishbone front end.

What was the turning circle of the GTi6?

Troy.

which way

11.3 i think to the left and 13.3 or something like that to the right
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    which way

11.3 i think to the left and 13.3 or something like that to the right
    Wow pretty hefty right hand turning circle. Why the big turning circle in only one direction?

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    Wow pretty hefty right hand turning circle. Why the big turning circle in only one direction?

Troy.

the g/box gets in the way

next time you see a GTi-6 stick your head in under the left hand guard and you will see the back end of the box staring back at you
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

As I said in my last post, Alfa have learnt from that. They've developed a car that puts more power through the front wheels than they previously thought possible. I haven't seen anything from any credible source that bags that car because it's FWD, but more because of it's soft settings.
    I have seen credible sources where they have bagged it because it simply doesn't have the fluency of something like a BMW 3 series coupe - and the obvious reason is the FWD configuration - no matter how hard or soft it is. Sure they keep improving what FWD can handle but - everything else being equal, a RWD or 4WD setup will be the optimum for a car with a high output and torquey motor.

Consider the 405 Mi16X4. Now the FWD version was by all accounts a fantastic handler. The X4 version was on another plane altogether after that...

Quote Originally Posted by B E R E T

Consider the 405 Mi16X4. Now the FWD version was by all accounts a fantastic handler. The X4 version was on another plane altogether after that...

from what i have been told yes but not so on tight stuff

yes the 4x4 405 is a great car and personally i think they needed an extra 30-50hp on top of the standard mix
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

It appears this forum needs a name change to Aussie Frogs and Spaghetti.
    Or, Aussie Frogs, Spaghetti and Rice.
    Or, Aussie Frogs, Spaghetti, Rice and Sauerkraut.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN
    It appears this forum needs a name change to Aussie Frogs and Spaghetti.
    Or, Aussie Frogs, Spaghetti and Rice.
    Or, Aussie Frogs, Spaghetti, Rice and Sauerkraut.
    How about Spagetti with frogslegs sauce, with rice and sauerkraut side dish.

The alfa 147GTA is a mad car,at my work they have not sold alot of the 147GTA because of its price 69,999 and its the only alfa that has no prombles yet i wood love one i can get a good price but been under 25 the insurance for me is $12,000 a year its ture
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Yeah, i saw a review of these things on Top gear on optus..

I cant remember what they compared it with, but it was up against 2 others cars, one i think was a focus, and i think the other was a golf.

Destroyed the competition in a straight line and a standing start, but just couldnt get any power down round corners, and the other 2 outcornered it...

not quite the idea of a fwd is it??

in the end though, after trash-canning its ride, handling, finish, everything, when given a choice, both reviewers said theyd still choose the alfa, cos it just had that extra bit of passion... probably like froggies are to a lot of us. cant put your finger on exactly why, but the car just seems right for ya.
    1992 mi16
    Toyota aware driver
    there are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots..

Yes, Top Gear are quitre contradicting. They review the GTA against the Golf R32 and Focus RS and give it to the GTA. Then a few months later give their COTY award to the Focus... oh well...

Yes, Top Gear are quitre contradicting. They review the GTA against the Golf R32 and Focus RS and give it to the GTA. Then a few months later give their COTY award to the Focus... oh well...
    yeah, they only chose the alfa if they had to choose one of the three to buy for themselves, the focus still outperformed it in all aspects, and id guess thats what theyd base their awards on.

Cant blame them tho, if you had to choose between a lovely fat alfa and an ugly-duckling focus, what would YOU choose??

1992 mi16
    Toyota aware driver
    there are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots..

I know which one I chose in the regular versions and I'd love to have the manic RS in my garage

Pffft.... Golf R32. I have seen a test where a 205Mi16 outruns one of these on the track. I really can't see the point in these sort of hatches. They are getting ridiculously pricey, overweight, loaded with luxury, etc, and still retaining the drivetrain (bar the R32). Give me a Clio Cup, and the change. Or something coupe-ish and RWD.

Nick

Thread Information