Melbourne Motor Show
  • Register
  • Help

Default Melbourne Motor Show

Just wanted to know if anyone has been along to the Melbourne Motor Show yet and if there is anything worth seeing there that is new that hasn't really been seen in previous years??

Advertisement

I know, a pretty general question, but I wasn't that impressed with last years show. It was full of cars that I had seen before.
    Les hurlements de lion.
    504 GL (gone)
    205 GTI Classic (gone)
    505 STI (gone)
    I can feel a GTI 180 coming on!

I've been, I thought it was one of the better recent shows......
    most of the manufacturers had their cars open and you could get a good look at them, which isn't usually the case cause all the thieving bastards take anything that's not welded into the car.....ie gearknobs, switchgear etc.....it's disgraceful

You won't see much you haven't heard of or seen before though.

The 206gti180 with the broken passenger seat didn't impress either

I was more impressed with the 147 GTA (it almost looked and felt like a $60,000 car) and Smart Roadster (would be a hoot to drive, and probably worth $30,000....pity it's $37+K) than I expected to be......

The Fiesta at it's current pricing structure will be a sales failure for Ford (you heard it here first )

Agree with DTwo regarding vehicle access which is a change from other years - but collectively rather dreary

I find it as exciting as Safeway car-park.
    But then again I have to work there. People, or kids take the most amazing things outta the cars.
    Door lock buttons. Radio buttons. Electric seat buttons. ANd one time, AN engine DIPSTICK.

1000+ Posts

Ah well Warrick2

A Dipstick does go well with the moccasins and the other gear!!

Ken

Thanks! I might give it a miss then. Didn't think that it would be much different from other years. I think that the display I have been most impressed by in previous years was the Shannons display, which funnily enough is outside the main showroom. Go figure

Quote Originally Posted by DTwo
    The Fiesta at it's current pricing structure will be a sales failure for Ford (you heard it here first )
    No suprises there! Having worked for Ford I experienced customers time and time again walking out as they went for other manufacturers at a cheaper price. The only competatively price car is their range comes from the Falcon range, even then, it's main competitor Commodore is cheaper.
    If you look at the spread:

Fordazda Escape - The exact same vehicle, with many more model options can be bought cheaper through Mazda with it's Tribute model.

Fordazda Courier - The exact same vehicle, with many more model options can be bought cheaper through Mazda with it's B series model.

Ford Exploder - These are a bit overpriced considering that you can get a Land Cruiser or Prado or equivelent, with similar specs for cheaper and at the end of the day, these things haven't got the best reputation. Who want's an American built 4x4?

Focus and Fiesta - Well, the may be among the best selling small car in Europe and they are a good little car, but I have to agree that they are over priced!

My
    Les hurlements de lion.
    504 GL (gone)
    205 GTI Classic (gone)
    505 STI (gone)
    I can feel a GTI 180 coming on!

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick2
    But then again I have to work there. People, or kids take the most amazing things outta the cars.
    Door lock buttons. Radio buttons. Electric seat buttons. ANd one time, AN engine DIPSTICK.
    For the rest of us mere mortals, the motorshow is a chance to look at many cars we wouldn't necessarily take the time to look at normally, within walking distance of their direct competitors

A Toyota salesperson I knew, hated the show, but managed to sell 3 cars in the afternoon he manned the floor.......so it couldn't all be bad news for you guys.

Which section were you at this year Warwick2?
    Peugeot?, Alfa?, Bmw?

Hi Warwick, me thinks the dipstick was used in lieu of a name tag for the type who would do that would be unlikely to be owning a current model drive.
    Cheers- GavinS 25 GTX 1987 build 2165cc auto - TBR. Renault is properly pronounced "Rhen-oh."
    .......................................Nissan Skyline (daily driver)
    Seek the blindspot and unknown of The Johari Window.

.....There's a Lamborghini Miura SV400 sitting outside (to be auctioned?). Anyone got a lousy $300k??

It's absolutely gorgeus

Thread Information