• Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 3 Post By 68 404

Thread: Parking at the Airport

Default Parking at the Airport

Sydney please note.
    Dusseldorf has just introduced a new parking service at the airport. At 29 Euros per day you leave your car in front of the airport and off you go by plane. A self propelled robotic car platform appears, picks up your car and parks it in the first available parking space that it finds. On your return you tell the computer by touch screen the rego number and the date and time when you left it, It hits your credit card and then gets the car for you. Unlike robot parking stations it does not need a special structure and the robots can search conventional parking stations for a spare slot with them having to be modified. It seems to be able to work out the size of the car and select a slot to fit.
    Key Benefits

Advertisement
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

That looks very smart technology Gerry! Due to the distances involved and the 24 hour nature of flying travel, however, one wonders whether the platforms when in constant use and unable to fully recharge would actually make it out to the furthest reaches of Domestic and International airports. For instance, if we are away from Melbourne for less than a week we take the car to the long term car park at Tulla and the fifteen minute free bus ride to the airport and back. Anything longer than 7 days and the car park charges exceed those of a limo or taxi, so we use those for pick-up and delivery from home.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

I'd love these at work, just so the eejots I work with can get their cars parked for them as they can't do it themselves!
    Actually I'd use them for Evil, surprise that, and park other cars so close that the arrogant owners couldn't get in. You know the type, git with the Porsche who parks over two spaces so it won't get damaged (keying is almost mandatory).
    Brendan.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    That looks very smart technology Gerry! Due to the distances involved and the 24 hour nature of flying travel, however, one wonders whether the platforms when in constant use and unable to fully recharge would actually make it out to the furthest reaches of Domestic and International airports. .
    gosh! better shoot off an email to them! they probably didnt think about that issue.

Isn't technology wonderful.
    Don't we already have something like that but without the machine?
    Ah yes, it's called valet parking.
    It might be cheaper to use a human to park your car but we must have machines.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Isn't technology wonderful.
    Don't we already have something like that but without the machine?
    Ah yes, it's called valet parking.
    It might be cheaper to use a human to park your car but we must have machines.
    A machine doesn't take smokos, lose the keys, forget where the car is parked, isn't controlled by work cover, won't pilfer from the vehicle. It won't do drag races up and down ramps and have contests with other valet drivers to demonstrate driving skills.

Personally I'd prefer my car on "float" without human intevention.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    Sydney please note.
    Dusseldorf has just introduced a new parking service at the airport. At 29 Euros per day you leave your car in front of the airport and off you go by plane. A self propelled robotic car platform appears, picks up your car and parks it in the first available parking space that it finds. On your return you tell the computer by touch screen the rego number and the date and time when you left it, It hits your credit card and then gets the car for you. Unlike robot parking stations it does not need a special structure and the robots can search conventional parking stations for a spare slot with them having to be modified. It seems to be able to work out the size of the car and select a slot to fit.
    Key Benefits
    Sounds brilliant from your description. On the subject of valet parking;may I suggest getting hold of the movie "The Valet" a French movie with English sub-titles.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    gosh! better shoot off an email to them! they probably didnt think about that issue.

Then perhaps you might allow us to know exactly how you think they have addressed the problem?

The system might work in a small multi story car park but I can't see it working too well at somewhere like the Tullamarine long term car park which appears to be bigger than the Sydney CBD.

Please read the following carefully! Note the number of operational spaces involved.
    "Our automated parking system passed all the tests and it is now officially in operation! 249 automated parking spaces at Düsseldorf Airport can now be used via patented robots by serva transport systems GmbH."
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 11th July 2014 at 11:52 AM.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Then perhaps you might allow us to know exactly how you think they have addressed the problem?

The system might work in a small multi story car park but I can't see it working too well at somewhere like the Tullamarine long term car park which appears to be bigger than the Sydney CBD.
    Tullarmarine parking is as it is because of the sh!t public transport and the addiction of Australians to their own personal vehicles. It's not to designed as a service travelers but to make money for the Government and Semi government authorities administering the airport.

The sh!t catering and exorbitant monopoly based prices on food is another example of the kind of service travelers can expect.

Whenever we travel we take the airport bus (which is poor compromise compared to a rail link from the City) I refuse to pay for substandard service.

Change the system to be in line with world "best practice" I say!
    addo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Tullarmarine parking is as it is because of the sh!t public transport and the addiction of Australians to their own personal vehicles. It's not to designed as a service travelers but to make money for the Government and Semi government authorities administering the airport.

The sh!t catering and exorbitant monopoly based prices on food is another example of the kind of service travelers can expect.

Whenever we travel we take the airport bus (which is poor compromise compared to a rail link from the City) I refuse to pay for substandard service.

Change the system to be in line with world "best practice" I say!
    From the Wikepedia:

Melbourne Airport has received numerous awards. The International Air Transport Association ranked Melbourne among the top five airports in the world in 1997 and 1998 and, in 2003, presented it with the Eagle Award.The Australian Airport Association named it the Airport of the Year in 1999, while Business Traveller Magazine and Airports Council International have ranked Melbourne in the top ten every year from 1996 to 2000 and in the top five for airports that handle between 15 and 25 million passengers.

The airport has received recognition in other areas. It has won national and state tourism awards, and Singapore Airlines presented the airport with the Service Partner Award and Premier Business Partner Award in 2002 and 2004, respectively. In 2006, the airport won the Australian Construction Achievement Award for the runway widening project, dubbed "the most outstanding example of construction excellence for 2006". Most recently Melbourne Airport was awarded by Skytrax for having the best Airport hotel in the Australia/Pacific in the WORLD AIRPORT AWARDS. Melbourne Airport was also ranked the 43rd best airport for 2012

No awards for parking and transport then.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

From the Wikepedia:

Melbourne Airport has received numerous awards. The International Air Transport Association ranked Melbourne among the top five airports in the world in 1997 and 1998 and, in 2003, presented it with the Eagle Award.The Australian Airport Association named it the Airport of the Year in 1999, while Business Traveller Magazine and Airports Council International have ranked Melbourne in the top ten every year from 1996 to 2000 and in the top five for airports that handle between 15 and 25 million passengers.

The airport has received recognition in other areas. It has won national and state tourism awards, and Singapore Airlines presented the airport with the Service Partner Award and Premier Business Partner Award in 2002 and 2004, respectively. In 2006, the airport won the Australian Construction Achievement Award for the runway widening project, dubbed "the most outstanding example of construction excellence for 2006". Most recently Melbourne Airport was awarded by Skytrax for having the best Airport hotel in the Australia/Pacific in the WORLD AIRPORT AWARDS. Melbourne Airport was also ranked the 43rd best airport for 2012
    What you say may well be true, Ollie. So are you saying the exhorbitant parking and food costs subsidize the infrastructure ?

Most/ all of these reviews are based from an international travelers point of view. Further, they seem totally irrelevant to the local transport situation and the long stay parking situation :I doubt international travelers would require car parking.

So now can we discuss the topic that I mentioned initially, ie the local transport situation to Tullarmarine Airport. If this was effective and cheap fewer people would need to park the airport.

Surprisingly, Rob, other locations in Australia that have cheap economical transport to airports (rail) find that they are very much underused.

From the same Wikipedia page:

"Market research concluded most passengers preferred travelling to the airport by taxi or car, and poor patronage of similar links in
    Sydney and Brisbane cast doubt on the viability of the project." (Talking about a Melbourne/Tullamarine rail link... in 2001)

It will be interesting to see what Napthine's "stopping all stations" solution (?) turns out like!

Poor patronage of the airport rail link?

Well, Macquarie Bank, if you dropped the extortionate $10 airport station usage charge (on top of the normal rail fare) more people might use it.

And to think those jackals have first dibs on developing Sydney's second airport. God help us...

Dave
    addo, Poo-Go and jaahn like this.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Surprisingly, Rob, other locations in Australia that have cheap economical transport to airports (rail) find that they are very much underused.

From the same Wikipedia page:

"Market research concluded most passengers preferred travelling to the airport by taxi or car, and poor patronage of similar links in
    Sydney and Brisbane cast doubt on the viability of the project." (Talking about a Melbourne/Tullamarine rail link... in 2001)

It will be interesting to see what Napthine's "stopping all stations" solution (?) turns out like!
    Read above. Making the fee excessive will do "it" everytime. Especially with grumpy bastards like me who still avoids toll whenever possible.

F&*K'EM.

On the Melbourne thing, the last few times I've been it's been with a group of three.

With three of us, it was cheaper to bring my Sydney toll pass, hire a car at MEL airport, drive to the CBD, park at Crown and drive back to the airport than to use the bus.

How silly is that? If only Sydney CBD had such cheap parking...

Sadly, a one way trip for me to the SYD Domestic terminal is $17.80. Yes, it's not cheap but even with a return ticket, it would be so much cheaper than long-term parking.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    With three of us, it was cheaper to bring my Sydney toll pass, hire a car at MEL airport, drive to the CBD, park at Crown and drive back to the airport than to use the bus.
    I can't believe I've never thought to bring my own E-tag for a rental car before. Rental car companies charge you to use theirs.
    Care factor = -273.15ºC

And then there is an additional, well subtraction problem if you park at Melbourne Airport. The chance of your car being stolen is higher there than anywhere else in Melbourne.....The thieving bastards (the ones controlling the parking) would still make you pay even if your car was nicked. Refer to the Herald-Sun of 11/07/2014. It also gives you a list of the suburbs with the highest car theft rates ie DON'T PARK HERE!
    Brendan.

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    No awards for parking and transport then.
    Hey, it came 43rd, dinnit? That's just one off 42!
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thread Information