Cloth covered air delivery hoses...
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By 59 Floride

Thread: Cloth covered air delivery hoses...

Default Cloth covered air delivery hoses...

I need some for the mighty Fregate.

Advertisement

There has been discussion about these type of hoses before..does anyone know where I can get my mitts on some..?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cloth covered air delivery hoses...-215394.jpg  

You mean Renault don't have parts available for a 60 year old Fregate?

This is a heater supply company in Turkey.

25mm HOT AIR AIR Intake Ducting Pipe FOR Eberspacher Webasto Diesel Heater | eBay

The air intake pipe on my scenic is similar so someone must still make the stuff.
    Although when I tried to find some hose for the Scenic it wasn't successful.

There is plenty of wire reinforced silicon air hose around for a temporary fix.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Did VW use anything similar?

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    You mean Renault don't have parts available for a 60 year old Fregate?

This is a heater supply company in Turkey.

25mm HOT AIR AIR Intake Ducting Pipe FOR Eberspacher Webasto Diesel Heater | eBay

The air intake pipe on my scenic is similar so someone must still make the stuff.
    Although when I tried to find some hose for the Scenic it wasn't successful.

There is plenty of wire reinforced silicon air hose around for a temporary fix.

Cheers
    Ren
    Thanks Ren,

I have purchased ducting from these guys in the past and can recommend them as prompt providers. I'll send them a message re. cloth covered hoses.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Did VW use anything similar?
    Good thought Addo, I'm sure they would be available for a VW if it was original equipment.

Default My Findings..

I couldn't find any cloth covered air delivery hoses anywhere so I made some.

The ducting came from an ebay supplier in Turkey (see post #2 above). A coarse cloth was sewn up as a sleeve and slid over, spray painted black and voilà.

It certainly was worth the trouble in my view as it looks more authentic than anything else I could come up with.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cloth covered air delivery hoses...-059.jpg   Cloth covered air delivery hoses...-062.jpg   Cloth covered air delivery hoses...-079.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 23rd August 2014 at 10:38 PM. Reason: spellcheck failure
    bluemoon, jaahn, pugnut1 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    I couldn't find any cloth covered air delivery hoses anywhere so I made some. The ducting came from an ebay supplier in Turkey (see post #2 above). A coarse cloth was sewn up as a sleeve and slid over, spray painted black and voilà. It certainly was worth the trouble in my view as it looks more authentic than anything else I could come up with.
    That's excellent Graham. Looks great. They originally used a woven canvas with wire spiral reinforcing, like the air duct to my R8 aircleaner I imagine. It was used also for parts of the 4CV "tropical" pipework that took air from the front to the rear aircleaner in the 750/4CV.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Johnno,
    Simca had a similar fabric ducting for its heater to firewall application. Had a tendency to shrink leaving a gap at one end. Ugly tape being the only fix.

In discussion years ago with our mutual friend Rhys about the ducting, used on Citroen ? He opined that there was a cottage industry in France where peasant ladies sat around knitting this material for ducting!

59 Floride's method of covering an industrial flex hose with a sleeve is the best I've seen. Would improve the Simca under bonnet appearance no end.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Johnno,
    Simca had a similar fabric ducting for its heater to firewall application. Had a tendency to shrink leaving a gap at one end. Ugly tape being the only fix.

In discussion years ago with our mutual friend Rhys about the ducting, used on Citroen ? He opined that there was a cottage industry in France where peasant ladies sat around knitting this material for ducting!

59 Floride's method of covering an industrial flex hose with a sleeve is the best I've seen. Would improve the Simca under bonnet appearance no end.
    Yes, the stuff is very 1930s, isn't it! I remember the Simca Aronde arrangement. All the Renaults up to about the 1970s had some in places too. I suspect you and Rhys were on the money.

See you at the FCD on 21st I hope.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information