Cloth covered air delivery hoses...
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By 59 Floride

Thread: Cloth covered air delivery hoses...

  1. #1
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    33,042

    Default Cloth covered air delivery hoses...

    I need some for the mighty Fregate.

    Advertisement


    There has been discussion about these type of hoses before..does anyone know where I can get my mitts on some..?

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cloth covered air delivery hoses...-215394.jpg  

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts REN TIN TIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Brisbane/Australia
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    You mean Renault don't have parts available for a 60 year old Fregate?

    This is a heater supply company in Turkey.

    25mm HOT AIR AIR Intake Ducting Pipe FOR Eberspacher Webasto Diesel Heater | eBay

    The air intake pipe on my scenic is similar so someone must still make the stuff.
    Although when I tried to find some hose for the Scenic it wasn't successful.

    There is plenty of wire reinforced silicon air hose around for a temporary fix.

    Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

  3. #3
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    Did VW use anything similar?

  4. #4
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    33,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    You mean Renault don't have parts available for a 60 year old Fregate?

    This is a heater supply company in Turkey.

    25mm HOT AIR AIR Intake Ducting Pipe FOR Eberspacher Webasto Diesel Heater | eBay

    The air intake pipe on my scenic is similar so someone must still make the stuff.
    Although when I tried to find some hose for the Scenic it wasn't successful.

    There is plenty of wire reinforced silicon air hose around for a temporary fix.

    Cheers
    Ren
    Thanks Ren,

    I have purchased ducting from these guys in the past and can recommend them as prompt providers. I'll send them a message re. cloth covered hoses.

  5. #5
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    33,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Did VW use anything similar?
    Good thought Addo, I'm sure they would be available for a VW if it was original equipment.

  6. #6
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    33,042

    Default My Findings..

    I couldn't find any cloth covered air delivery hoses anywhere so I made some.

    The ducting came from an ebay supplier in Turkey (see post #2 above). A coarse cloth was sewn up as a sleeve and slid over, spray painted black and voilà.

    It certainly was worth the trouble in my view as it looks more authentic than anything else I could come up with.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cloth covered air delivery hoses...-059.jpg   Cloth covered air delivery hoses...-062.jpg   Cloth covered air delivery hoses...-079.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 23rd August 2014 at 10:38 PM. Reason: spellcheck failure
    bluemoon, jaahn, pugnut1 and 3 others like this.

  7. #7
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    I couldn't find any cloth covered air delivery hoses anywhere so I made some. The ducting came from an ebay supplier in Turkey (see post #2 above). A coarse cloth was sewn up as a sleeve and slid over, spray painted black and voilà. It certainly was worth the trouble in my view as it looks more authentic than anything else I could come up with.
    That's excellent Graham. Looks great. They originally used a woven canvas with wire spiral reinforcing, like the air duct to my R8 aircleaner I imagine. It was used also for parts of the 4CV "tropical" pipework that took air from the front to the rear aircleaner in the 750/4CV.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts Wildebeest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    2,678

    Default

    Johnno,
    Simca had a similar fabric ducting for its heater to firewall application. Had a tendency to shrink leaving a gap at one end. Ugly tape being the only fix.

    In discussion years ago with our mutual friend Rhys about the ducting, used on Citroen ? He opined that there was a cottage industry in France where peasant ladies sat around knitting this material for ducting!

    59 Floride's method of covering an industrial flex hose with a sleeve is the best I've seen. Would improve the Simca under bonnet appearance no end.

  9. #9
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Johnno,
    Simca had a similar fabric ducting for its heater to firewall application. Had a tendency to shrink leaving a gap at one end. Ugly tape being the only fix.

    In discussion years ago with our mutual friend Rhys about the ducting, used on Citroen ? He opined that there was a cottage industry in France where peasant ladies sat around knitting this material for ducting!

    59 Floride's method of covering an industrial flex hose with a sleeve is the best I've seen. Would improve the Simca under bonnet appearance no end.
    Yes, the stuff is very 1930s, isn't it! I remember the Simca Aronde arrangement. All the Renaults up to about the 1970s had some in places too. I suspect you and Rhys were on the money.

    See you at the FCD on 21st I hope.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •