Have you say; Or live with the consequences!!
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By REN TIN TIN
  • 1 Post By alhantos
  • 1 Post By julian b

Thread: Have you say; Or live with the consequences!!

Fellow Frogger!

Default Have you say; Or live with the consequences!!

You may be interested in the proposed changes to NSW vehicle registration. So I would say it affects you.
    Here is the link:

Vehicle Registration Initiatives (VRI) | Vehicle Registration Initiatives (VRI)

It has been proposed, basically, the older your car is or has less safety features, the more you will pay for registration.

You can comment on the website, but you only have until Thursday the 24th of July.

You might want to let your friends and family know too.

Regards,

Michael

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

No limit to their inventiveness as to screwing more revenue out of motorists
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

JBN

I wonder if anti social devices like bullbars will increase the registration costs as they reduce the survivability of whatever they hit.

I also expect that they won't credit cars that have safety features that reduce the danger to other road users such as:
    • low vehicle mass (say 570kgs)
    • low power (say 30 bhp)
    • low speed (max 120kph)
    • internal noise inhibits phone use and distracting conversations between occupants
    • low driver survival rate in accidents, giving them a vested interest in not partaking in one
    • no road rage attributes, rather the opposite as other road users smile at someone that has no shame in what they drive

John

They're a bit late trying to screw us into buying new cars.
    The Australian motor manufacturing industry is on it's last gasp and will be dead in a couple of years.
    Virtually all the money we spend on new cars will now go overseas, apart from the costs associated with the sale and back-up service. At least with the locally made cars only the profits went to the overseas parent company, most stayed here (if you believe the stories they weren't making any profit).

This has nothing to do with actual costs but is either a revenue grab or someone is getting paid off by the car companies to force people into upgrading to newer models. Am I wrong but I thought motor vehicle registration costs are for the maintenance and expansion of the road network. If they wanted a fair system then the registration costs would be based on curb weight not the number of cylinders or the age of your vehicle.
    Surely a brand new 3 tonne Land Curser (sorry Land Cruiser) or Lard Rover are going to have greater wear and tear on road infrastructure than an 800kg 4CV or R8. The number of airbags or having ABS doesn't make any difference to road infrastructure.
    Safety features are important but these are for the insurance companies to worry about not the state government road authorities.

Never ceases to amaze me at the inventiveness displayed by govenments to wring more money from the public.
    This is floated in NSW now but you can bet if it works there every state government will jump on the bandwagon.

Cheers
    Ren
    JoBo likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Virtually all the money we spend on new cars will now go overseas, apart from the costs associated with the sale and back-up service.
    Ren
    it doesnt necessarily make any difference, and might be to australia's benefit (ie if it displaces a value-subtracting industry like car manufacturing). every A$ that goes overseas has to be used to either buy something from australia or invested in australia.

more generally, whatever one thinks of the idea, it has nothing to do with trying to force you to buy new cars for commercial reasons, and noone has been paid off by anyone, nor is it a revenue grab.

this is just plain vanilla road safety policy circa 2014. newer cars are safer and cleaner, and therefore it is seen as a Good Thing to nudge you into buy a newer one. i dont support the idea at all, but that is the reality of the situation.

Japan have something similar don't they? The older the car, the more expensive it is to register.
    I don't know if the reasoning is safety related, pollution related or if it is driven by the car companies so they can churn out more of their products.
    I do know this has given birth to a thriving Grey Import/Export market though.

I do think this is a money grab idea by the governments involved though. New cars in Oz have never been so cheap, some drive away prices are cheaper than they were 20 years ago. As a result, more people are opting for a new car instead of a used one and in turn the average age for cars on the roads have fallen to an all time low.
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

1000+ Posts

In the interests of "road safety" the next step is to have someone walking in front of the car with a red flag. Remember,you read it here first.
    bluey504 likes this.

Why not reduce the registration cost of safer newer cars ,and leave the cost for older cars the same to encourage people to update .That wont happen because there would be a reduction in revenue .
    bluey504 likes this.

If the formulae they use to apply registration fees was invented by the brains behind the federal politicians' superannuation scheme you may have cause for alarm. However if initially the difference between a four star car and a five star car is a few hundred bucks I don't think it will cause people to rush into new vehicles prematurely.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

The last bold point on the page you linked us to:

The proposed changes would apply to new passenger vehicles, new motorcycles, and to all caravans and light trailers.
    It also appears to be about new vehicle safety and environmental credentials, not vehicle age.

If you look at one of the "surveys" however, you will find this set of paragraphs:

Under the proposed registration charging framework, a new light passenger vehicle with higher safety and environmental credentials would cost less to register than another new vehicle of similar weight that has lower safety and environmental credentials.

These reforms to light passenger vehicle registration are initially being proposed for all new passenger vehicles, with reforms to second-hand vehicles proposed a number of years later to enable customers to plan ahead and be aware of any potential upcoming changes to second-hand vehicle registration charges. The reforms will not be retrospective.
    It appears that regardless of the changes, older cars will not be forced to comply with newer reforms.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

It never ceases to amaze me that there is no incentive for a driver with no accident history in terms of claims for accidents caused by himself and only claims against other people for rear enders etc. still has to pay through the nose to keep the majority of idiot drivers in their cars on the road. TO me CTP insurance seems to mean keep the pissants on the road at my cost.
    Still a speed freak and loving it, but why can't we teach people to drive safely at any speed?

If the government wants more safety features in cars all they have to do is change the legislation to make in mandatory.
    They did it with seat belts, high-back seats, impact absorbing bumpers, side intrusion bars, and many many others.
    If the safety feature is so important why would you just charge someone to not have it. Can I pay a fee to not wear seatbelts or to ride a bike without a helmet or to take the headrests off my seats so I can have better rear vision, (okay, yes they're called fines).
    This is nothing to do with safety or the environment, this is just an excuse to separate the motorist from yet more money.
    And how long do you beliveve the 'will only apply to new cars' will last, a year or two until everyone is comfortable with the concept.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Thread Information