It's been 100 years....
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck

Thread: It's been 100 years....

1000+ Posts

Icon7 It's been 100 years....

Yes. It's been 100 years ago today since the start of the first World War,"The War To End All Wars." This is just a reminder. Odd,only two years ago,the last surviving WW-1 Vet,an Australian had passed on. I wonder what/where Mankind will be in another 100 years time? ~Steph.

Advertisement

No further up the evolutionary scale, sadly!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

I don't want to make light of what an unnecessary tragedy WW1 was but, for any student of history and how it started, this is quite accurate.

If WWI was a bar fight? - The Meta Picture

Icon6

G'day,
    very clever.
    Kim Luck, No further up the evolutionary scale, sadly!
    When asked with what weapons the next war will be fought, the correct answer is..."it doesn't matter.
    The one after that will be fought with sticks and stones."
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dvr View Post
    I don't want to make light of what an unnecessary tragedy WW1 was but, for any student of history and how it started, this is quite accurate.

If WWI was a bar fight? - The Meta Picture
    Not a bad summary in a way. There were quite a few interviews with academics on RN today. It went on for a few hours.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

JBN

NSW is hoping that with mandatory early closing of bars, we won't get involved in any more bar fights.

John

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by StephineS View Post
    Yes. It's been 100 years ago today since the start of the first World War,"The War To End All Wars." This is just a reminder. Odd,only two years ago,the last surviving WW-1 Vet,an Australian had passed on. I wonder what/where Mankind will be in another 100 years time? ~Steph.
    i must say i dont find it odd that that last living adult participant in a war, died 98 years after it started!

I rather think Steph was pointing out that the Great War occurred so recently that up until a couple of years ago it was within living memory. Most, even Americans, would not find it odd at all that someone could shuffle off this mortal coil after 110 years.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

JBN

So, where are we going with this? Is someone suggesting that war is good for longevity?

John

No, I think SURVIVING a war is good for longevity!

1000+ Posts

[QUOTE=JBN;1268166]So, where are we going with this? Is someone suggesting that war is good for longevity?

John[/QUOTIf they didn't get you when you lit the 3rd cigarette off the one match then you are home and hosed,Andy

And 238 years today since something-or-other happened.

The birth of alternate English and advertising?
    addo likes this.

1000+ Posts

Icon11

The birth of Left-Hand-Drive,annnnnnd something else. I'm sure there's other stuff I've missed. Still,you need to remember:-Without us,the World would go to pieces. Without us,who would watch the rest of the Planet,to see if they're "Playing-By-The-Rules",ect. Remember,you Guy's "NEED" us! What a bunch of Baloney. ~Steph.

The LHD thing is explained thus: From Wikepedia:

"In the late 18th century, the shift from left to right that took place in countries such as the United States was based on teamsters’ use of large freight wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. The wagons had no driver's seat, so a postilion sat on the left rear horse and held his whip in his right hand. Seated on the left, the driver preferred that other wagons pass him on the left so that he could be sure to keep clear of the wheels of oncoming wagons. He did that by driving on the right side of the road."

I'm not sure about the other stuff!

1000+ Posts

That sounds a bit doubtful too - take another look at the Queen's state coaches. The postilions have always been on the left. Horses are mounted on the left for the same reason traffic has kept left. You can hardly mount the right hand paired horse from the left.

They kept left as far back as ancient Rome. You'll also see old pics of horse teams in Australia, keeping left. It keeps whips away from the roadside. The story doesn't wash.

The web is full of the US waggon story, but it has the feel of a tale invented after the event. Why France adopted right (the usual post-revolution perversity??) and eventually took Europe with them is worth trying to find out.

"There is a popular story that Napoleon changed the rule of the road in the European countries he conquered from keep-left to keep-right. Some justifications are symbolic, such as that Napoleon himself was left- (or right-) handed, or that Britain, Napoleon's enemy, kept left. Alternatively, troops passing on the left may have been tempted to raise their right fists against each other. Forcing them to pass on the right reduced conflict. Hence, island nations such as Britain and Japan (using ships to move troops around and having less need to move them overland) continued to drive on the left."

And who is going to argue with the Teamsters! Get the Ouija board out and ask Jimmy Hoffa.
    Brendan.
    ps Enjoy the Hotdogs.....me I'd go Cajun anytime.

Thread Information