• Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Richard W
  • 1 Post By StephineS
  • 1 Post By Boyracer

Thread: Do you or don't you give your car a "name"

Fellow Frogger!

Default Do you or don't you give your car a "name"

Just wondering if on AF we have 2 camps... those that "christen" their cars with a name. And those that don't?
    When I was younger had no problems coming up with nicknames for friends that normally stuck. For example "Marky Manners" shortened to "Manners" as Mark was very well mannered. My iittle sister is still called "Sabay" from Kemo Sabay, the Lone Rangers sidekick....

Advertisement

Just wondering for those that name their cars if they could pass on the inspiration where the names come from and how they decide the gender..

Thanks
    John (who "Manners" used to call "Brown balls".... not sure why)

I don't obsessively name cars but some have attracted names. Blue 605 is Kim, AKA "St Kilda Girl" because everyone's been in her. Berlingo is Freddy (as in Mercury) because he's got to be prepared (Reddy, Freddy?)... 405 is Paris because she's not too pretty and is high mileage.

The others have not really caused themselves to be named save the International being known as the Irrational. A few I refer to as though they still belong to the previous owner.

1000+ Posts

Unfortunately one name is insufficient as another list of names could come into play depending on how well your pride and joy is running,Andy.

Mine's Pepe - as in Pepe le Peu (geot).
    addo and lion5 like this.

JBN

Both my 2CVs have a name. One is "Dolly" as it was a Dolly paintstyle until I changed it to a Charleston paintstyle (it has a Charleston sign on the rear).
    Do you or don't you give your car a "name"-dolly-1.jpg
    The other is "Daffy Duck" because of the Daffy Duck head on the bonnet. Being my alter ego, it combines the mental outlook of its owner (daffy) and the generic name for a 2CV (duck).
    Do you or don't you give your car a "name"-daffy-bonnet.jpg
    John

1000+ Posts

I have 100 Cars,yet only 90 have 'Names.' Guess I have to get busy....~Steph.
    J-man likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StephineS View Post
    The "privileged" (90) few.

1000+ Posts

Mmmm,I guess you could call it/them that. Most People call 'em 'Waste Of Time','Waste Of Money', 'Shit',ect

Perhaps a photo with names is required Stephine.
    Dennis
    2011 308 Hdi + VW Polo (big mistake ).
    in the family: Renault 2011 Clio RS200 Cup Trophee.
    Previous: 306, 307, 407,
    208 Allure Sport (Rear ended & written off by P plater - probably texting on their phone)

1000+ Posts

Mmmm,I guess you could call it/them that. Most People call 'em 'Waste Of Time','Waste Of Money', 'Shit',ect
    Without being too rude,"most people" bugger them. It does however remind me of the yank,some years ago,who left instructions that on his passing he was to be dressed in his best suit,placed sitting in his pink immaculate Cadillac convertible and buried;this was done and videoed. Who says you can't take it with you. I have no doubt that if unearthed in a 1000years people will say it was a ritual not unlike the Egyptian Pharaohs,Andy.
    Last edited by alhantos; 29th June 2014 at 02:36 PM.

1000+ Posts

Icon14

I have several Trucks,including a '63 FARGO W-300,on the Passenger-Side of the Dash,there's a Sticker showing 'Alice-The-Goon'(do a Google search,in case you're curious...)..a Character from the Popeye Cartoons. It certainly fits,the Truck has dual Ramsey Winches both front and rear,and Engine Hoist in the Bed(it's a Pick-up..),Factory 4-Foot 'Lift-Kit' and 4-Wheel Drive,Dual Tandum Rear Wheels,40 Gallon Fuel Tank,Engine Block Heater,the list goes on. She truly IS 'Alice-The Goon'. And She's only done 21-K in 51 years,and is totally rust free/un-restored. ~Steph.

Some of the cars got names. It's often a matter of convenience; numbers can be confusing when describing the cars to friends... names can help! They always get genders, however. Mine all seem to be ladies.

My 504 LTI doesn't have a name however, not one that I share with others

The rust bucket in the garage gets "the shitty 504". That clarifies it enough, unless the company has their tongue firmly stuck in cheek.

With a few French and German cars on my hands, I also kept a Suzuki which became known as 'Mercifully' - because 'Mercifully, there was always the Suzuki for when things got out of hand!'

Via the aussiefrogs App
    addo likes this.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Thread Information