Peters Ice Cream.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Peters Ice Cream.

Default Peters Ice Cream.

Peters has just been sold for a few hundred millon to the french group R & R.

Advertisement

Drumstick anyone?

Via the aussiefrogs App
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz

Pilon, you mean?

so much for the health food of a nation.

1000+ Posts

Streets went to Holland ages ago. They were more common around here than Peters, despite both being originally from NSW. No local would have wanted to stuff up Paddle Pops.

It's happening all the time, all over Australia. Here's another example:

https://www.facebook.com/SaveKingIsland?fref=ts
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Icon6

G'day,
    is any one old enough to remember Zig & Zag ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

The rolling papers?

No, the Peters clowns....Zig and Zag (Australian performers) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

they were a major part of Peters Advertising directed at children.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    No, the Peters clowns....Zig and Zag (Australian performers) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

they were a major part of Peters Advertising directed at children.....
    The one with bucket, Jack Perry, Zig, used to do face painting of children and slap stick humor at the South Side Six/ Sandbelt in the 1990s.

My wife and I used to take our kids there of a Saturday night.

Gotta say I was shocked to discover that he had a very shady history.

Clowning around with bastards

Not that I like Drinch, but this time I tend to agree.

1000+ Posts

I can't recall seeing them here - probably too Melbourne for those days when we all were much more self-contained.

Quote Originally Posted by flipperman View Post
    Peters has just been sold for a few hundred millon to the french group R & R.

Drumstick anyone?

Via the aussiefrogs App
    R&R was a British based ice cream manufacturer which was acquired by a French private equity group.
    see
    R&R Ice Cream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Their products have about as much national relevance as "French" cars. It is all about branding.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    It's happening all the time, all over Australia. Here's another example:

https://www.facebook.com/SaveKingIsland?fref=ts
    except that is not an example of an australian company being sold overseas.
    the issue there is about closure of an abattoir by a company which is owned overseas.
    and, the FB page is really just a King Island tourist promotion site.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    I can't recall seeing them here - probably too Melbourne for those days when we all were much more self-contained.
    Possibly because you didn't eat your meal nor drink your beer near the kiddies play room in the rear family lounge.

The kiddies face painting was a Saturday night event to attract families, to what was in many respects a blood-house during the week.

Then there was the over 25 singles night during the week...

1000+ Posts

I did spend time with kiddie TV back then. Mrs Seasink can't remember them either. Just about the only overtly Melbourne-centric things anyone watched back then was the cop show, Homicide, which was very popular. I recall noticing in particular the uniform. Graham Kennedy was on one of the networks, but few found him funny. As for Moomba Monarchs, most New South Welshmen away from the border wouldn't know what one is or was. Television has become more national since, even to showing Victorian football in NSW and Qld to mainly expatriate audiences.

Peters was sold here in many places, but my memory puts a Streets outlet in every corner shop.

South Side Six, i grew up not that faraway in a street of Mackie Rd. Always knew someone involved in a fight out of that place. Instead i use to to hangout at the pinball parlour "Moon Shadow" now the left hand turn from North Rd into Warrigal Rd. Why get your head punched in when you could be playing Gorgar or Black Knight or Firepower etc etc. Though it was the hangout of the Oakleigh Wogs and i'm a Skip i was treated like a friend. Goes to show the fights with say the Bentleigh Boys was not about aussie vs wogs, but just two sides having another to fight.
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    except that is not an example of an australian company being sold overseas.
    the issue there is about closure of an abattoir by a company which is owned overseas.
    and, the FB page is really just a King Island tourist promotion site.
    Hardly fair, Alexander. I guess you have never been there, so it would be hard for you to understand what Save King Island is all about. Do some research and report back when you have discovered that apart from Cheese (Fantastic), and Seaweed (Yuk!) now that the abattoir has closed, tourism is about all they will have to employ their population.

P.S: Check out the Tas. Government shipping subsidies being paid for JBS to move livestock off the Island. None of that goes to the people growing the beef! Just another example of big business and government F***ing over the locals.

There is a Freight Equalisation Scheme which subsidises all freight moving to and from this island. Kim, does your comment apply to all those who are a recipient of the scheme or don't you know enough about it to make an informed comment.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Ceenine, are you with the government or JBS? I'm not sure that the subsidy will do much else other than line the pockets of the KI beef producers at the expense of the 100 jobless. When the animals were shipped out as meat, what was the per head subsidy then?

Beef farmers welcome King Island freight subsidy - ABC Rural (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I see the locals are planning to re-open the old abattoir again anyway. I wish them all the best!

1000+ Posts

So much for Peters Ice cream, I guess it died and was sent off years ago. But now and then you see examples of the iconic Polar bear and 1ce cream cone that were uniquely Peters until it outgrew its Australian founders horizons - But also the Zig and Zag revelations changed the innocence and memories of a lot of the children that grew up with the hype and jingles.

The Peters Ice cream Brick wrapped in a sort of grease proof paper, was always a treat at our house, You would be sent to buy it from the corner shop and then rush it home before it melted.... loved the plain vanilla brick, but then they bought in that "near polluting" multi coloured icecream (Neopolitan) the chocolate was o.k. but disliked the pink!!

Ken

1000+ Posts

Peters was founded in Sydney, but moved to Melbourne in the 20s. Obviously it has deeply permeated Victorian culture, much more so than in its home city. For the other iconic ice cream, see https://ehive.com/account/3848/objec...o_Ltd_Corrimal Sadly it long ago ceased being "the cream of the coast". My memory is that ice cream bricks were wrapped in cardboard, and retained a cardboardy flavour - they were certainly different from cones served in the shop. No dawdling coming home with one of them. Ken, do you remember the grocer coating the ice cream in your cone in chocolate (if mother had prepaid), as a treat?

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Peters was founded in Sydney, but moved to Melbourne in the 20s. Obviously it has deeply permeated Victorian culture, much more so than in its home city. For the other iconic ice cream, see https://ehive.com/account/3848/objec...o_Ltd_Corrimal Sadly it long ago ceased being "the cream of the coast". My memory is that ice cream bricks were wrapped in cardboard, and retained a cardboardy flavour - they were certainly different from cones served in the shop. No dawdling coming home with one of them. Ken, do you remember the grocer coating the ice cream in your cone in chocolate (if mother had prepaid), as a treat?
    I don't remember the choc coating but I do remember the dried apricots in large rectangular jars with metal caps on the grocers counter.

I also remember every time I ran around the grocers shop being given an apricot!

All the produce stored in dove tailed timber drawers in floor to ceiling shelves and ladder on steel rail that was slid around the shop...

Oh, I bet they prepared a Safe Work Statement for every order placed, too.
    denxm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Oh, I bet they prepared a Safe Work Statement for every order placed, too.
    A Roneo'd (Possibly Gestetner'd) A4 sheet which said "No Apricots were hurt in the preparation of this Order"..........

1000+ Posts

Icon11 No chock dipped ice creams in my youth, or dried apricots for that matter !!

Seasink, Our grocer didn't sell ice creams, but he did give out treats in the form of a big brown paper bag of broken biscuits, that were dished out from one of those Arnotts style tin boxes with the pasted on pictures of different yummy biscuits. I used to think that he kept the big tin of broken biscuits just to feed us lucky kids. Robmac must have lived in one of those posh neighborhoods to be dished out healthy stuff as treats.

Of course us kids with our ars*s hanging out of our ragged hand-me-down pants might have had something to do with the grocers largesse towards us, whatever it was I got to eat some fancy broken biscuits that would never have been on Mum's budget list in those days..

Lots of good memories from those days though!!

Ken

Dixi cups and wooden spoon, oh the memories.
    Ron Boulton likes this.
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information