New electric car launch in France
  • Register
  • Help

Default New electric car launch in France

BMW have launched their i3 with TV advertising. It sells at at 27,990 or rents at 470 per month.
    With a range of 160kms, it has a 125kw motor developing 170bhp and 250 Nm - direct drive no gearbox.
    The motor switches to alternator on braking and can convert up to 50kw of braking energy, normally lost back to battery charge.

The performance is 0-60kmh in 3.7 secs and to 100 in 7.9. The max speed is governed down to 150kmh

The batteries are lithium ion with a 7year or 100,000km warranty.

Advertisement

The range can be extended with an economy mode to around 200kms and there is a 4000 option of a 600cc twin petrol engine that further extends the range.

The fast charge facility gets it 80% charged in 30 mins and the normal connector does the usual 8 hour overnight charge.

Fuel prices for IC cars are stable and consumption is actually dropping in France due to the economic constraints. There is not yet any great incentive on cost grounds to switch to electric transport but the market is slowly advancing on the advantages of electric in urban applications.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

At least a 100 mile range makes it a viable commuter car. At 40K+ though, it had better have BMW-like dynamics in all it's aspects. A small, light diesel like a Polo is still the better bet for most. Any word on how much extra range the 5500.00 option buys you?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

You can see where an American-managed car maker would stumble, first a 600cc option boost engine, then it would up to 1400cc turbo four, then 2.5 V6 - ending up an electric car with a 4 litre TT V8 in case the electric motor wasn't adequate...

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    At least a 100 mile range makes it a viable commuter car. At 40K+ though, it had better have BMW-like dynamics in all it's aspects. A small, light diesel like a Polo is still the better bet for most. Any word on how much extra range the 5500.00 option buys you?
    300kms

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    300kms
    And based on my reading, that's only because the fuel tank is so small. The engine will charge the batteries all day long if you're doing a Melbourne-Sydney trip. You'll just have to make more fuel stops than in a ICE car.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    You don't appreciate the market. It is the little old lady who never came to terms with a gear lever and just wants to go the boulangerie every morning. There are already 20,000 centenarians in France and the retiree market is growing very rapidly. Yes, purchase price is high but cost of ownership is very low. Fuel is virtually free, tolls and city entry taxes are waived for electrics, service is once a year or longer and the replacement fluids and parts are negligible.
    The population over 65 is now a 1/6th of the population and will double by 2060.
    I am heading into that market segment but I can still change gears. I drive a hybrid and it is approaching four years old. It still has its original tyres, battery, brake pads, windscreen wipers. Its annual service is an oil change, pollen filter replacement and that is it.

I'm hoping that all 20,000 of the centenarians are being driven, rather than driving, Gerry!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I'm hoping that all 20,000 of the centenarians are being driven, rather than driving, Gerry!
    This is all pretty frightening, they calculate that by the turn of the century there will be 200,000 of them. Here in France you have a driving licence for life, - there is no renewal needed and no compulsory checks on the aged. You are supposed to declare health conditions that could affect your driving but like all laws here it only applies to everyone else.
    until the arrival of small electric cars on the market, those who had lost their licence or who never had one could drive a small vehicle with a limited speed. These microcars or Sans Permis are not cheap either because they are made in small quantities and are often driven by the handicapped or elderly. The electric cars are a smart alternative if one holds a conventional licence.

I live in a town largely populated by retirees and it is full of Twingos and Clios driven by the elderly. Most would be women and most between 75 and 90, their husbands having quit the battle somewhat younger when the kids took the BMW as their inheritance.

I have two friends who drive small Renaults,both of whom I would consider visually disabled but they get away with their daily shopping with just minor scrapes. Both have electric bikes as well and I am not sure which is safer with these kamikazis.

You're right, it's frightening!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Thread Information