Dear fuel or cheaper fuel for Mothers Day weekend - bets.?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By StephineS

Thread: Dear fuel or cheaper fuel for Mothers Day weekend - bets.?

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Dear fuel or cheaper fuel for Mothers Day weekend - bets.?

Just returned from the Country, Fuel for this trip was one of the dearest tankfulls I have purchased, (I usually manage to avoid the high cycle fills) and the difference between City Prices and Country prices, was a paltry 2 cents on unleaded fuel and I remarked to my dear lady that fuel seemed to be hanging on at the high cycle price - Her remark was quite telling, "what do you expect, its mothers day this weekend"

Now she is a pretty canny lady, much more price conscious than me!! but surely not

Now if I was a betting Man I would think that oil companies would not do something like that after all they must have mothers that they want to visit and one would hope that prices would come down this weekend (as far as the poor blighters can afford to bring them down of course) as family comes before business, and you would want to encourage families to get out the car and drive whatever it takes to make Mother happy.

So heres the deal the challenge is, I reckon they will do the right thing and keep prices low over the weekend and maybe that was why the prices seemed to stay up in the city. Maybe the big grocery stores are planning a surprise double your discount day for mothers day and all shopper dockets on the 10th, 11th, and 12th will be made 8 cent a litre off mothers day specials in recognition of all the wonderful good that mothers do. What a nice thought!

Advertisement

Now that would be a wonderful media campaign!

Well lets see, and of course if Melbourne pump prices are high, this would probably mean that other states would be much higher. Though when I mentioned the price we paid, my daughter in Tasmania just laughed and said welcome to our normal everyday price - Damn cynic!

Anybody want to place a bet on how far prices will fall this weekend, or is yours cheap already and getting cheaper in the lead up to Mothers day.

Oh and keep it nice guys. I am optimistic of course.

Ken

-

Banned

given that you have been going on endlessly for years about there being a cycle - which there is - then it shouldn't be too hard to predict, should it? you know, given that cycles tend to have this curious feature of being 'cyclical'.

Recent city petrol prices | ACCC

short answer: yes, prices will be falling into the weekend, and the fact that is mother's day has absolutely nothing to do with it either way.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

I thought they weren't allowed to give more than 4c off anymore.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

1000+ Posts

Icon10

Hmmm. Australian's talking about Fuel prices. Why am I suddenly bombarded with Images from old Mad-Max Films?? ~Steph.
    bluey504 likes this.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Remember your mothers, they were important in your life!!

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    I thought they weren't allowed to give more than 4c off anymore.
    Guess Coles didn't get the message, they are already spruiking 8c a litre through to June, Maybe Mothers day is also the motivation too, but they are holding back for the big announcement today. but only they would know and consumers don't control anything these days, especially when they have to travel, like me, they just do it.

Stephine you should be getting lower fuel prices anyway as your US winter is (almost??) over, but then again some say our winter has come early this year, but that is a figment of imagination and could not be responsible for any increase in fuel prices as its much warmer these days!!

Anyway I'll go with Alex on this the industry cycle pedals on, have a happy mothers day all, and cheap fuel!!.

Ken

1000+ Posts

Icon12 Lost that bet, but maybe IF.... well it will be an increase in Fuel excise..??

Well must say I haven't spent all my weekend driving about looking at fuel prices (too busy with helping at Football and cleaning up a few small jobs and arranging mothers day stuff, (Sadly my mother is no longer with us!!) but from the few prices I have seen around Melbourne - prices seemed to remain high, now I might have missed that reduction alex predicted, but seems from the couple I noted, nothing in the way of downward movement, certainly no dramatic drop for mothers day.

If anyone else has seen the rapid drop in their neck of the woods, it would be good to hear of it, and I hope your mothers day celebration went off well and importantly families got to communicate and meet with each other as it is important for mothers to be recognised for everything they do for their children in so many ways

I suppose the next challenge on the fuel prices front is to see if there is anything the industry can do to soften the impact of the proposed, maybe, increase by 3 cents in the excise levy/tax or whatever that might or might not happen in the budget.

What a nice thing if the 3 cents is added that the industry dampens down its cyclic price ups and downs in the fuel prices, say a few cents off the high price peaks in that controlled cycle, now that would be nice and a sign that everyone is taking a small "hit" for the good of the budget position. I know some of you might cynically say "yeah and pigs will fly too!! but I ever hope that those who can will make it easier for business and commerce to grow and our budgets to balance. Patriotic flavour there too.

Well its only a thought, I won't wager anything on the outcome, either way !

Ken: rolleyes:

Fellow Frogger!

I have lived in regional Aus for 12 years now and there is no such thing as a price cycle in these parts. Once they go up they stay there for a long time!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Well must say I haven't spent all my weekend driving about looking at fuel prices (too busy with helping at Football and cleaning up a few small jobs and arranging mothers day stuff, (Sadly my mother is no longer with us!!) but from the few prices I have seen around Melbourne - prices seemed to remain high, now I might have missed that reduction alex predicted, but seems from the couple I noted, nothing in the way of downward movement, certainly no dramatic drop for mothers day.

If anyone else has seen the rapid drop in their neck of the woods, it would be good to hear of it,

Ken: rolleyes:
    as you keep reminding everyone, year in year out, it is a cycle, so why would you expect a rapid drop inconsistent with that? the price rise is rapid, and the price fall is slow and longer. as you and anyone else who gives a rats about this issue is well aware. why of course anyone would expect Mother's Day to affect the price of petrol is totally beyond me.

anyhow, the price of petrol was, as easily predicted, falling into and through mother's day, in melbourne.

Dear fuel or cheaper fuel for Mothers Day weekend - bets.?-melbourne-20140512.jpg
    Last edited by alexander; 14th May 2014 at 09:10 AM.

1000+ Posts

Must say not that many of us use unleaded these days, any way alex that motorist lack of care about the inevitability of fast rises and slow falls on a contrived industry run cycle probably lead to the bracket creep of pricing between the different fuels, when we first started to look at fuel prices on A/F years back, there was 5 cents difference between unleaded (91 RON) fuel and the next most common grade of 95 Ron, then 98 Ron came in at a five cents a litre above that, but it sure didn't remain at that. Apathy and acceptance by motorists have lead to the present situation where most motorists including myself just pay for it when we need it and of course this apathy and acceptance makes fuel an easy pick for an added excise bonus twice a year and we only have ourselves to blame I guess.

I wonder if it will curb the so called discount cycle or reduce fuel sales. If it did that would indicate "hip pocket" price shock!!

But some will be satisfied as I recall quite a few always claiming Australian Fuel was too cheap, though most is imported these days as a finished product.

Sigh!

Banned

*what type of fuel do you use if it isnt unleaded??
    *personally i wouldnt expect a small increase to the fuel tax to have any effect on the price. why would it?

Ken, I would expect the price premium between the various grades of unleaded to be a proportion, not a fixed amount. As the prices of all the fuels increase, naturally the margin in cents per litre would increase even if the percentage difference stayed the same.

Roger

Thread Information