• Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gerry freed
  • 1 Post By gerry freed
  • 2 Post By addo

Thread: German Autobahn tolls

Default German Autobahn tolls

They were free for foreigners but from 1st Jan 2016 foreigners will be required to pay. You will have to buy a vignette as in Switzerland and stick it on the windscreen.

Advertisement
    addo likes this.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Icon6

G'day,
    this is terrible news. I don't think I'll go.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

UFO

You also need vignettes/tax stickers in Czech Republic and Austria. But then anything would be better than paying the eye watering prices for French Autoroutes these days.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    g'day,
    this is terrible news. I don't think i'll go. :d
    lol

+1
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    You also need vignettes/tax stickers in Czech Republic and Austria. But then anything would be better than paying the eye watering prices for French Autoroutes these days.
    What sort of prices do you pay for French Autoroutes? Are they anything like Sydney/Melbourne toll roads?

UFO

It varies depending on the road. One of the good ways to find the costs is to use Via Michelin website. Plot your route like googlemaps and it will give you advice on tolls, estimated fuel costs etc.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

If I drive from here to Paris, this is what viamichelin calculates

Rťsumť de l'itinťraire

33510 Andernos-les-Bains – 75007 Paris 07

estimated cost
    123.92 € with a petrol vehicle
    Tolls 54.40 € | Petrol 69.52 €

Time
    06h35 of which 05h28 on autoroutes
    Distance
    629 km of which 582 km on autoroutes

by contrast the TGV takes 3 hours and off peak costs me 60 euros.

It is not economic to drive unless you have at least two in the car
    addo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    It varies depending on the road. One of the good ways to find the costs is to use Via Michelin website. Plot your route like googlemaps and it will give you advice on tolls, estimated fuel costs etc.
    Fantastic. My trip from Nice to Paris via CitroMuseum (Castellane), Geneva, Peugeot Factory (Socheaux), and the Schlumpf Collection (Mulhouse) will cost about 52.70 tolls, 145 petrol, and 29.12 in road tax. The petrol isn't too bad for 1250km. Fuel works out to roughly double what I'd pay here for the same distance in my 1.4 Clio.

Gerry/Craig, can I pay road tolls/taxes as I go, or do I need to pre-book or pre-pay like you do here with e-tags and day passes. I'm going to be placing a lot of faith in google translate over there.

ViaMichellin gives great directions. I will have to print that to take with me. It does warn of dangerous stretches of road on the A41, where you are restricted to 130km/h.

LOL, we need to send some Aussie anti-speeding politicians over there to wave "SLOW" lollipops at the motorists.
    JoBo and FIVEDOOR like this.

It is difficult to prepay here, the Transit automated system is really designed for regular long term users. Big toll gates on major autoroute exits have real people and take cash or foreign credit cards. All have automated credit card machines on the exits and some take cash. I understand that some people have had difficulty with Amex and cards without chips. UFO advices is better than mine as I use a local chipped card to the French standards.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    They were free for foreigners but from 1st Jan 2016 foreigners will be required to pay. You will have to buy a vignette as in Switzerland and stick it on the windscreen.
    Ha. They caught on they can make money off those english clogging the roads and the others driving to the unrestricted sections for the pleasure of maxing out their toys.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

My old per chip Commonwealth Bank Visa card worked fine at the autoroute toll gates. Also carry a stash of coins.

Shame about Germany. I regularly crossed the border for a quick blast to give the car a good run.
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

1991 Peugeot 605SVE (Written off 2007)
    1995 Peugeot 605SV (Bianca White) *SOLD*
    2007 Volvo XC70 Electric Silver (PJ-810)
    2009 Volvo XC60 T6 Teknik (Sapphire Black)
    2014 Volvo XC70 Luxury D5 Polestar (Ice White)
    2012 Mercedes Benz C250 (Alabandite)

Past:
    1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 2001 Volvo XC70 and various Volvo 200-series

Well, it was bound to happen when everybody and their dog around Germany charges for use of the freeways. Why would they pay everybody else and not charge anyone when their freeways which are the best ?

Take a detour to Sweden for a blast. They don't charge (yet) for freeway use and the police is pretty laid back. Driving north of Uppsala you're not very likely to meet anyone either. Except for wildlife that is. More fun in winter.

Or just try Kaiserslautern-Rockenhausen via Otterberg - Horingen. 32 km of perfect tarmac with enough corners to make your head spin, little traffic and no police. Just the occasional tow truck rescuing some poor bastard trying to learn the subtleties of liftoff oversteering, hehehehe. Sorry, 205GTI bias.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 6th May 2014 at 03:28 PM.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

UFO

I don't recall that we tried our chip ANZ travel cards last time, but will try in July/August. We've gotten to the point where either Deb or I can guesstimate the toll and the passenger will prepare the cash while the driver "negotiates" the queue. It is not possible for non Euros, or maybe non French, to utilise their e-tag equivalent unless you have a French bank account. Unlike the systems in Aus, the French system (insert !! ) hits your bank account for every transaction apparently.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

The French toll ways are of two types - pre paid and post paid, which relates to their date of construction and method of project finance. Most of the post paid require you to take a ticket at the toll gate of entry. The tickets usually carry the toll amounts for the major exits. On exit you present the card to the collector and pay the amount shown on an eye level digital display (unless you are in an H van). Alternatively you follow a sign that says CB (carte bancaire) and you post the card in a machine slot with the arrow facing the machine. It then shows the amount and you insert your credit card and hope it is accepted. Alternatively, use a lane with an icon showing several coins. There post the card and pay the money in the note acceptor and the cash basket.
    If all else fails park the car and walk with car to a manned toll booth and ask for help. If there isn't one (and there are not on lots of minor exits) hang around get help from another motorist of wait for the service people. All the toll gates are watched by video.
    If it is pre paid and there are still a number of short lengths like this, you need lots of small change as these are intended to take up to 5 euros in coins.

There is another story about credit card operated fuel bowsers and foreign cards with non standard chips or none at all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post

Take a detour to Sweden for a blast. They don't charge (yet) for freeway use and the police is pretty laid back. .
    quite. for anyone sitting around bored and requiring entertainment, search for "ghost rider" on youtube and watch a few of these utterly unbelievable, but plainly real, videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwicTKbWam4
    Last edited by alexander; 7th May 2014 at 03:54 AM.

Alternatively you follow a sign that says CB (carte bancaire) and you post the card in a machine slot with the arrow facing the machine. It then shows the amount and you insert your credit card and hope it is accepted.
    And isn't it fun when it's not. That happened to me on the A85 west of Tours on Saturday. The card had been accepted at every other toll booth to date, just not this one. The machine didn't accept cash so I had to wait until the attendant came over and I paid her.

The long line behind me wasn't too impressed either.
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    quite. for anyone sitting around bored and requiring entertainment, search for "ghost rider" on youtube and watch a few of these utterly unbelievable, but plainly real, videos.

Ghostrider "Uppsala run" part 1 - YouTube
    Dunno, maybe they trust their drivers, and maybe their drivers really are good, otherwise they wouldn't be doing over 160km/h on snowy freeways. In RWD cars, no less.

And they don't have a point system like pretty much everywhere else but they do have something else more interesting. The police can take your licence away on the spot for certain things. Like failing to give way when required for instance. Now, that is something I like.

Interesting how the bike lifts off the front wheel under acceleration at minute 2 even though he's doing well over 200km/h.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post

Ghostrider "Uppsala run" part 1 - YouTube
    F... crazy, F.... stupid but good to watch. I've only done 220 or so for some distance on a country road at 6am on a bike. The road gets very narrow. I wouldn't have the guts to do it in traffic amongst car drivers even doing half his speed - well perhaps half his speed would be ok.

BTW, listened to a Swedish academic the other day about road safety. He said that they are going or have gone for 80km/h on country roads. Not sure about freeways but it's certainly nothing over 130.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

It is difficult to prepay here, the Transit automated system is really designed for regular long term users. Big toll gates on major autoroute exits have real people and take cash or foreign credit cards. All have automated credit card machines on the exits and some take cash. I understand that some people have had difficulty with Amex and cards without chips. UFO advices is better than mine as I use a local chipped card to the French standards.
    That works for me I'm taking 4 credit cards with me (one is a debit), so one will work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    F... crazy, F.... stupid but good to watch. I've only done 220 or so for some distance on a country road at 6am on a bike. The road gets very narrow. I wouldn't have the guts to do it in traffic amongst car drivers even doing half his speed - well perhaps half his speed would be ok.

BTW, listened to a Swedish academic the other day about road safety. He said that they are going or have gone for 80km/h on country roads. Not sure about freeways but it's certainly nothing over 130.
    Freeway speed limit in Sweden is 140km/h and country roads vary.

The problem is Sweden is a vast country by European standards. You have about 600km from Helsingborg (south) to Stockholm (center-sort of) all on freeway and that is only 1/3 of the country. Another 1200 left to the north and no significant localities to speak of along the way. The police don't stress about it. They mainly patrol the vast freeway network around major cities, of which Stockholm is unique (more similar to Tokyo in this respect than any other European city). Freeways crisscross through/under the city in a maze that will have you completely baffled if you don't know what you're doing and satnav is of not much help because of the long tunnels (about 30km the longest going under a lake and the whole city N-S). I think part of that tunnel features in the video linked above. It may well be in a near future the last (European?) bastion of speed crazed morons like me.

1000+ Posts

I've touched on 200km/h on the ring road of Amsterdam. Fixed speed cameras everywhere so you need to know what you're doing. The great thing is that because the traffic volume is incredible, you get 5 or 6 lanes in each direction. But when I was there everyone was asleep. Perfectly lit, perfectly smooth and maintained, perfect crash barriers.... couldn't maintain it for long of course due to the cameras and the 100km/h limit on that section...
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

1991 Peugeot 605SVE (Written off 2007)
    1995 Peugeot 605SV (Bianca White) *SOLD*
    2007 Volvo XC70 Electric Silver (PJ-810)
    2009 Volvo XC60 T6 Teknik (Sapphire Black)
    2014 Volvo XC70 Luxury D5 Polestar (Ice White)
    2012 Mercedes Benz C250 (Alabandite)

Past:
    1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 2001 Volvo XC70 and various Volvo 200-series

Thread Information