Airbus move into electric aircraft
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Goddess fan

Thread: Airbus move into electric aircraft

Default Airbus move into electric aircraft

Not exactly a French car, but using lots of shared technology, Airbus announced the opening of a new subsidiary located in Merignac, near Bordeaux airport. It will be delivering in 2018, 2 models of its electric planes for flying schools and recreational flying. One has 2 seats and the other 4. They use 2 50kw ducted fan motors supplied by Safran, with Saft batteries, Zodiac controls and Dassault design software.

Advertisement
    Last edited by gerry freed; 1st May 2014 at 09:14 AM. Reason: typo
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

1000+ Posts

And if they are able to top up their batteries from charged clouds......
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

I remember seeing a small article in the paper here, maybe about 1986, showing a photo of a Russian backfire bomber and claiming that it was "Nuclear powered". My limited understanding of physics says that due to weight of reactors and more importantly the cooling apparatus, that was just not possible. Of course, I've not seen the claim repeated. Probably "nuclear armed" was what they were trying to say.
    With this electric aircraft, I'm tempted to have almost the same level of scepticism, due to power output per storage batteries required etc. But am happy to be corrected. Are Saft batteries super light maybe?

JBN

I wonder if these aircraft are similar to control line model aircraft of the 60's, limited by the length of the wire?

john

Just had a look at the media release's around this story. The maiden flight of the little single seater looked a bit "Wright Bros", and there's no mention of capability or endurance. But, early days I suppose, and let's wish them well.
    It would be a pleasant change to be in a two or four seater that wasn't constantly shouting at you that it can't afford to have a muffler, due to power requirements!
    UFO likes this.

Put some solar cells in the wings and only fly them on sunny days.

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

There was a glider that flew around the world non stop on solar energy a while ago. Don't remember exactly, but I think it needed power to sustain life on board primarily and run some electronics and I think it had a motor/propeller to gain altitude if needed. Must have been about 20 odd years ago or more?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I remember it being Swiss, and a quick wiki check reveals Solar Impulse, has done various international and transcontinental (USA) flights, around the world planned for 2015.

SAFT have a range of high power density batteries, our company uses some of them in telemetry equipment for unpowered sites.
    I laugh a little as the batteries they are using are probably classified as Class 9 Hazardous goods and heavily restricted for air transport

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I wonder if these aircraft are similar to control line model aircraft of the 60's, limited by the length of the wire?

john
    The model aircraft world has moved on a bit since our youth. Most model planes and helicopters are electric propelled these days, powered by some very advanced lightweight batteries and the amateur drone industry hovers around them.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    We live in interesting times !!
    Scarey also is some ways.
    Cheers jaahn

see
    Airbus : l'avion électrique E-Fan s'envole... en silence
    the prototype has made its first flight of ten minutes - a range of one hour on internal batteries is the design goal - very suitable for pilot training.

Thread Information