finished...
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: finished...

Default finished...

Well, I went to the rescue of a friend and swapped her Bitsamissing Galant motor for her this week (after it terminally snapped a timing belt), which ended up being a good 20 hour job.
    She got a low ks jap import motor/trans (trans as well 'cos it was cheaper to buy them together and her current auto was getting clunky anyway) for $1300.

Another $350 on timing belts (the main one was $97 , and the balance shaft belt $25. This is the belt that failed on the old engine, snapping, getting tangled in the main belt and stripping teeth off it. Hence 2 grands worth of engine work for a $25 belt. Anyone who has timing belts on their cars, go outside right now and check them!!) and assorted oils, trans fluid filter, plugs, acc. belts etc..

All went suprisenly well, with my standard curses to the japanese car gods I use whenever working on jap cars not uttered too often. But I think I have to take the timing belts off again, as one of the camshaft oil seals has started to weep - but am hoping like hell that it will settle down after the shock of been used again (cant ignore it either, as it will drop oil onto the belt). Its a good 3 hour job to get the timing belt off and on again (pricks to get the tension right on)- it would take me an hour tops on the [email protected]% I knew I should have replaced those seals, but money was running tight and the engine had bugger all Ks on it, so they SHOULD have been fine....

Nice enough car though - great motor. Smooth as silk, revvy (7 grand red line) and 100 KW from 1.8 is not shabby for a 15 year old car. Nice auto, climate control that makes the R25 system look like something out the 60s, and all the gadgets of a jap spec car ( air purifier and factory fitted flare )
    BUT, it makes me love my reno all the more, as the Galant is SO flimsy in the body compared the the R25. The Galant also reminded me why I love froggy cars, and that is for their chassis engineering - the galant felt awful on the road compared.

Advertisement
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

XTC

The VR-4 was always a nice kinda drive ... as for the rest

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

phew - oil seal settled down. But it made a 'orrible bearing/rattle type noise from the valve gear when fired up this morning, which went away completly after a minute of running. Hoping its just sticky hydraulic lifters been a bit sticky from their 10 year slumber in japanese warehouses. I think another load of fresh good oil is in order after a 1000 odd km.... Dont really want to pull all the lifters out

The VR4 looks the business - they had some VR4 2 litre turbo motors with the AWD trans attached at the importer I got the motor from. If I had a bit of cash, a Jap import I would seriously consider is a Mazda Cosmo - twin turbo triple rotor 20B honey of a motor, every mod con, a real luxary tourer and only 25 grand for a really good one.

I just wish french engine technology had kept up with the Japs during the 80s/90s. They are pretty up to date now, but when my R25 was built, they were way behind...
    But it is bullet proof motor, just not very smooth.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

Haakon, I don't know much about Shitsubishi motor designations, but their 1.8 from around 1996 had some problems with what they call 'hydraulic lash adjusters' - lifters, I guess - making knocking noises.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Haakon, I don't know much about Shitsubishi motor designations, but their 1.8 from around 1996 had some problems with what they call 'hydraulic lash adjusters' - lifters, I guess - making knocking noises.
    Apparently there are a few "businesses" in certain areas of central Sydney that use hydraulic lash adjusters and the sounds of knocking can also be heard!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Apparently there are a few "businesses" in certain areas of central Sydney that use hydraulic lash adjusters and the sounds of knocking can also be heard!

and you know this from personal experience i take it UFO
    you visit these places often
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Leaving the seemy side of life aside for a moment...

There is a seal-softener in engine oils from Cadillac which leads to reduced leakage in many cases.

It worked well on our Sigma a few years ago... two or three drips every time we pulled up was reduced to zero with an oil change.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    and you know this from personal experience i take it UFO
    you visit these places often
    It's only what macquered told me! I'm just passing on the info to any interested members
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Appropriate Bumper Sticker:

If this CitroŽn's rockin', don't bother knockin'...

Thread Information