Buying an imported car interstate and registering in Vic.
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Buying an imported car interstate and registering in Vic.

Ok guys, that time of year again and I am considering expanding my fleet. Issue being the car in question was imported from the UK to NSW where it is currently registered. The offending car was manufactured in 1983 so falls under the pre 1989 import regs. I don't believe it has an affixed compliance plate as they are not strictly required under the pre 1989 rules. Am I likely to have an issue registering the car on full rego here in Victoria? I assume I will have to get a RWC done, but will this also require another inspection by Vicroads? I don't know if the car modifications done in NSW would be valid for VIC (assuming they were done that is... any ideas where I can find out these requirements?).

Advertisement

A check on its present NSW rego shows a "condition code: 87 Modified as per report number 1200141200106IP" - I assume this is the modification report. Can I obtain a copy of this?

Is this a horrible mine field I should just avoid?

I don't intend this to be a club registered car hence the concern / questions.

please!

Vicroads should be able to answer your questions .NSW used to be the toughest place to register imported cars so everything should have been complied already .The worst thing that can happen is you may be required to get an engineers certificate [about $250] as well as RWC.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Julian, its good to know an engineers certificate is not horrendously over priced!

Depending. For dads 1970 mustang it was $2500. That was all of the engineering checks. So speedo, brake checks, and mechanical etc etc.. So not always cheap, not always expensive.
    2012 - RCZ.
    1994 - 405 Mi16.
    1974 - Dnper 650 sidecar.
    1997 - Honda CBR1100XX Superblack bird.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

If it's currently fully registered in one of the states of australia, all you need to do in transfer it. I don't think there is an issue in Victoria so long as you can prove it's been previously registered.

The XM I had, had to be "re-complianced" in South Australia (bloody ludicrous given it was already engineered and plated in NSW.... This is the state that will allow any locally sold car to be drivne forever and NEVER have a roadworthy ).

I just handed over the transfer forms and they were happy with it up at Vicroads ( it's one of the few things the pack of useless @ssholes up there don't stuff you around on).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks guys, it looks like i may have missed out. A deposit has been taken subject to inspection.

But good to see that it should actually be straight forward, i should have asked sooner and not faffed about.

Thread Information