Best new car under $50,000
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Best new car under $50,000

Default Best new car under $50,000

I realise this will be influenced by personal preferences but i am interested in what you think.

Criteria.

for performance

for comfort

Advertisement

for daily driving

for snob value.

Your choice can fit one, or preferably most, or all of the above.

My current leaning is

VW Golf GTi - but not sure it fits the comfort criteria.

The Renault Megane RS (under $50k?) has better performance but as an all-around fit????????
    i'm not strange, everyone else is..........

F20 1 series BMW- get a 120i with the M sport pack and, somewhere down the line, have it remapped to 180kw-ish.

I love mine. 4 door, practical, and it means the DS doesn't have to go out in the rain..!

The driving dynamics are excellent.. 60/50 weight distribution, bit of RWD entertainment, surprisingly entertaining and balanced chassis with the M pack but doesn't look out of place being valet parked at the Hilton.

Looks are either loved or hated I suppose.. See how you feel!

Wow talk about advances in car design ! Wonder how the BMW engineers found the other 10 percent ? : )
    FIVEDOOR, 68 404 and CarNut like this.

Administrator

New c-class is supposed to be a ripper all-rounder. Not sure what the starting point is.

Quote Originally Posted by renault12 View Post
    The driving dynamics are excellent.. 60/50 weight distribution,
    That must have taken zee germans a while to perfect.

Maybe they let the acountants do the design work.

Jo

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    Wow talk about advances in car design ! Wonder how the BMW engineers found the other 10 percent ? : )
    Its the Spinal Tap version. It goes to 110%

Haha sorry.. It was 50/50 I meant!

A class mercedes is a nice thing too but I'd take the RS265 any day..

JBN

Living on the Central Coast, a BMW or Merc would probably fit the snob value criteria and stand out from the crowd. If you lived in certain parts of Sydney, the only way to get them to stand out form the crowd is either bright pink or purple paintwork.

In real life observation of either marque on NSW roads, I would say performance is below par. I overtake more in my 2CV than get overtaken by them. Still, from a drivers point of view, adjusting the rear view mirror so that you get a good "Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!" perspective usually gets a 9/10 score on the snob scale.

For fun and good looks, the Toyota F86 or Subaru equivalent.

John

Default Exactly what do you mean by...car.

Well just having just purchased a new Land Rover Defender 90...I would have to say it is the Land Rover Defender 90.

Performance...it does well enough for a 2 tonner. And what is performance...you cant take a Golf down the Swallow Creek Rd like I did yesterday.

Comfort....not really.

Daily driving...yes.... 1000km a week since last November, (no kidney stones passed yet).

Snob value.....none...in fact I would say it has anti-snob value...it is a No-Bullshit bit of machinery that does exactly what it is made to do and it does it well.

Asking a question like...Best new car under $50,000..is a bit like saying....So ya wanna fight..... punk...
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

con
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by mhaf View Post

...... My current leaning is VW Golf GTi.......

Hope it's not the DSG 7 box as you won't get a 10 year warranty on it like the chinese.

VW Officials Apologize for Faulty DSG Gearbox in China

con....

I think, mahf, that you need to elaborate. Performance? Great economy-- or 0 to 100 in 6 secs..
    Comfort? Well bolstered seats or smooth ride.( You can have both).Long distance or short.
    Daily drive? In traffic or open road.
    Snob value? Subjective! Some love Fords / hate Holdens.
    Other considerations. 2 or 4 door. Children. Pets. Load carrying. Towing. Quiet running / loud exhaust. Service backup.Do you have a Green tendency. Are you a man about town a noisy hoon or a smooth sophisticated sure of himself person.

If you are not sure of all these considerations -----Get the best deal!
    Allan

PS. A friend is buying a new car, his MAIN criteria for selection is the ability for his wife to enter and alight the car without bending her knees. All other considerations are rather small.
    Last edited by tasie C5; 16th April 2014 at 06:36 PM.
    Kenfuego and niks like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Well having spent a lot of time looking for a replacement for my C4 grand picasso which has turned out to be a great car but is over 50,000 with options.
    I believe i have found a great car with all the options plus a couple no body else has even 100,000 dollar cars like BMW 5
    What is this great buy. its a Renault Latitude the most overlooked car on the market today.
    comfortable, economical ride in the diesel.
    Its no slug on the road and the diesel with the Aisin automatic gearbox makes short work of overtaking safely the B triples and doubles that are starting to clog up our roads.
    options galore with seat massager plus fully electronic adjustable.
    ion generator in a/con system for that fatigue relieving effect and bacteria free air.
    safe to drive with blind spot warning and safety list goes on.
    choice of petrol /diesel at same price plus choice of interior black or beige leather at no extra cost.
    the list of good things in this car go on such as glass roof with electric sunroof
    Lights to see around the corner when you turn.
    All this car for less than 50,000 dollars something nobody else can offer or come close to beating.
    Even the towbar is genuine not an aussie job like the other importers offer. see my post on towing with ESP.
    Oh fixed price servicing for 3 years plus 5 year warranty and roadside assist is the cream on this cake.
    I even investigated the cost of spares and ongoing costs to owning this car and was impressed with how it stacks up better against other cars in the same category.
    Has few options to add but then it does not need them except the nice stainless coat hanger that fits to front seat headrest for hanging your coat in behind front seat and its only 50 dollars.
    yes if you want the best don't just take my word or that of others, just check it out for yourself. I would recommend a long test drive, or even taking the car for a day to test which would be better.

Snob value well i must say this is no interest to me but i suppose owning the only Latitude in Australia in white with a beige interior could fall in the snob catogory if that pushes your buttons. I look forward to recovering from cancer to enjoy my drives in a very underestimated car full of value for my dollar and given that it only used half a tank of diesel to travel from Melbourne to Adelaide just after it arrived last August. Look forward to seeing economy after it gets a few K on the clock.
    Last edited by niks; 12th January 2015 at 06:43 PM.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    Well just having just purchased a new Land Rover Defender 90...I would have to say it is the Land Rover Defender 90.

Performance...it does well enough for a 2 tonner. And what is performance...you cant take a Golf down the Swallow Creek Rd like I did yesterday.

Comfort....not really.

Daily driving...yes.... 1000km a week since last November, (no kidney stones passed yet).

Snob value.....none...in fact I would say it has anti-snob value...it is a No-Bullshit bit of machinery that does exactly what it is made to do and it does it well.

Asking a question like...Best new car under $50,000..is a bit like saying....So ya wanna fight..... punk...

Wow ... Welcome to the 1950's man If your gonna get a wank tank, it might as well be one that drives and handles and crashes like a proper one should

There is however no doubting it's offroad ability as you suggest.... Um, swallow creak road ?? Is it the creek bed itself, that's land rover territory.... any 2wd can drive down a gravel road
    Gamma likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

FFS, why are we ending up with so many topics in "Froggy Chat" that are not significantly about French cars?

OK, one is unlikely to get banished (and it's clear as day which thread and why) but the rest? Bugger me...
    SLC206, 68 404 and Kenfuego like this.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    FFS, why are we ending up with so many topics in "Froggy Chat" that are not significantly about French cars?

OK, one is unlikely to get banished (and it's clear as day which thread and why) but the rest? Bugger me...
    Well it is a car forum. The question didn't preclude French cars from being included.
    Kenfuego likes this.

and i couldn't see another spot to put it. so i do apologise to those that were offended.

economy doesn't worry me as the cost of petrol is not that great a cost in the overall cost of ownership. i do abt 40k a year so fuel wont be an issue. i want something sporty but comfortable. i am not yet ready to give up the nice sound of a gurgling exhaust or the dull rumble of a motor but i would like something with a reasonable level of comfort.

haven't heard of the Renault latitude so will look it up.
    range rover - land rover, no thanks.

mahf. Think also about a Citroen C5. The latest series are great. I have heard VERY little when it comes to negative comments. Super ride, great economy, sports suspension and gearbox selection on the run if required. Well built.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

Wow ... Welcome to the 1950's man If your gonna get a wank tank, it might as well be one that drives and handles and crashes like a proper one should

There is however no doubting it's offroad ability as you suggest.... Um, swallow creak road ?? Is it the creek bed itself, that's land rover territory.... any 2wd can drive down a gravel road
    Well VV...refined and developed by transition from the 1950s. Wank tank..that's harsh....

Crashing is done using others crumple zones...
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    There is however no doubting it's off-road ability as you suggest.... Um, swallow creak road ?? Is it the creek bed itself, that's land rover territory.... any 2wd can drive down a gravel road
    Is it a creek bed..that depends on the rainfall....only an old Holden could keep up!

Like I said.....
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Quote Originally Posted by mhaf View Post
    I realise this will be influenced by personal preferences but i am interested in what you think.

Criteria.

for performance

for comfort

for daily driving

for snob value.

Your choice can fit one, or preferably most, or all of the above.

My current leaning is

VW Golf GTi - but not sure it fits the comfort criteria.

The Renault Megane RS (under $50k?) has better performance but as an all-around fit????????
    You don't say how many doors, seats etc. your beautiful new machine is required to have. Do you require a fun car, a limo or a family hack? For Fifty K you can get all of the above, just make sure it's French!

Holden VF SS V Sportswagon or if you are after a manual and can't be bothered waiting 9 months for the factory to make one (so the dealer tells me ) go for a low mileage VE like we just did!
    All the bells and whistles you could possibly want, leather interior, room for 5 full grown adults and POWERRRRR from it's 6 litre V8!
    As for snob value, just wait for the replies to this comment.
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Doors - min 2.
    I wNt a fun car. Family hack, and snob car all in one.
    Someone mentioned the Skoda Octavian RS to me but I haven't heard much about it other than it is a golf Gti under the skin.

Or try an Alfa Romeo giulietta QV. Impressive car.

50,000 Renault Fuegos.
    mhaf, Kenfuego and niks like this.
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    50,000 Renault Fuegos.
    Hahaha!!

Yeah! What he said!
    David M likes this.

1000+ Posts

Buy a 2 year old car that was $100K new. Especially if you're going to be doing big km.
    jo proffi, mhaf, cme2c and 1 others like this.
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

1991 Peugeot 605SVE (Written off 2007)
    1995 Peugeot 605SV (Bianca White) *SOLD*
    2007 Volvo XC70 Electric Silver (PJ-810)
    2009 Volvo XC60 T6 Teknik (Sapphire Black)
    2014 Volvo XC70 Luxury D5 Polestar (Ice White)
    2012 Mercedes Benz C250 (Alabandite)

Past:
    1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 2001 Volvo XC70 and various Volvo 200-series

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information