Life in Sale, Victoria
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gerry freed

Thread: Life in Sale, Victoria

Default Life in Sale, Victoria

What is life like in Sale? Is there any good car clubs or activities there?
    Just wondering.
    Frans

Advertisement
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

It's a bit more relaxed being a country town and not to far from Melbourne at 2.5Hrs away for any car club activities.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Caveat: I have not been to Sale for ten years (though I went to Rosedale only a couple of months ago).

My impression is it is a small, solid, conservative farming town. It's only 50 km past Traralgon, which is a large industrial town and part of the Latrobe Valley conurbation (if I can call it that) which has anything you need including excellent train service to Melbourne and multi-lane motorway all the way to Melbourne.

Sale might have an all-makes car club (though I don't see any obvious ones in Vicroads' list of approved car clubs. Traralgon or Morwell are likely to have options for you.

Maybe go there are see for yourself.

Roger

1000+ Posts

It's not far to Morwell, and there is a very good hill climb track there.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

It's not too far from Orbost which must be close to being the fundament of Australia.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger!

I grew up in Sale and am up there for work monthly. It's a nice quiet country town generally. Plenty of car lovers, mostly of the Commodore/Falcon variety although they are getting better. There are a few Pugs around as there is a Peugeot dealership in Traralgon. I guess it depends what you like in your life...
    1998 N5 306 XSi

1000+ Posts

I'm not a Victorian, but that's not fair - Orbost is one of the places there that I do like. It has the virtue of being a long way from Melbourne and the "resort" ghastliness around Bairnsdale as well. It's actually quite a long walk from Sale.

Bash up into the bush until you come to Delegate in NSW - that's really at the bottom of the world. Another recent thread showed us the RSL there.

Icon12

It was such a forgotten town in the '60s that after seeing it whilst touring Australia, the Fab Four released a fundraiser album to support the residents. "Beatles for Sale" sold phenomenally well.

The RAAF car club run sprints and motokharna's at the Sale air base. RAAF Sale 23rd Feb 2014 Ben - YouTube

There is also the Maffra and distric car club who have a dirt hillclimb, autocross and motokharna pad. Home | Maffra & District Car Club Really cool club and 20mins away.

You also have the Morwell Hillclimb, which is active most weekends. Gippsland Car Club

There is also a lot of speedway and 4wd comps.

In regards to life im from Melbourne but spend most of my holidays in Maffra (small town 20mins away) visiting my grandma.

Ill admit it is a bit slow for me. Lower socioeconomic areas and also seems to be also people hanging about the main street. The jail is also not far away so there is a lot of single parents waiting.

Im now 23 and probably not that place for me! If you move 10mins out of town on 2 acres that would be awsome as most the area is diary farmers. Really depends what you want!

You could always go upmarket and join the local Yacht Club; home of the famous Marlay Point Yacht Race and a fine place to enjoy a coldie!

Lake Wellington Yacht Club: Home of the Marlay Point Overnight Yacht Race
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Sale is French for .....................
    addo likes this.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

1000+ Posts

Victoria, Gerry.

Ignorant bloody NSW people!

Sale in Victoria was named for this dude:

Robert Sale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

I go through Sale when doing my regular Canberra to Wonthaggi drive.

Sale, to me, always felt a bit depressed with a bit of a boganish feel. I think the town took a big dive when Esso moved out about 10? years ago.

However, I have noticed in the last 2 or 3 years it seems to be prospering. One indication is the car dealerships that are springing up (or renovating their old yards). And considering Traralgon is only 50k away with its huge collection of car dealerships seems to indicate there is plenty of money around there

The RAAF airbase is there but dont know how big the base is

And I like Orbost... nice little town to break your journey in

Decca
    Present --2016 2008Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast, now with A/T tyres...)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    Sale is French for .....................
    Is what the Belgians think in regards to the French.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

You should bring your skills to NSW Frans. What about Richmond RAAF base?
    Renault skills that is....... : )
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by Decca View Post
    I go through Sale when doing my regular Canberra to Wonthaggi drive.

Sale, to me, always felt a bit depressed with a bit of a boganish feel. I think the town took a big dive when Esso moved out about 10? years ago.

However, I have noticed in the last 2 or 3 years it seems to be prospering. One indication is the car dealerships that are springing up (or renovating their old yards). And considering Traralgon is only 50k away with its huge collection of car dealerships seems to indicate there is plenty of money around there

The RAAF airbase is there but dont know how big the base is

And I like Orbost... nice little town to break your journey in

Decca
    RAAF Base East Sale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great place, like most towns out-of-town ... unless you're trying to find the club scene, that is.

If you're into such things, it's got a fantastic Gippsland Pioneers section down the back of the cemetery there (fx, Angus MacMillan's buried there) -- I went up there for a day trip a few months back for the unveiling of a memorial to William McGregor, co-discoverer of gold at Walhalla in 1862, then at Happy go Lucky in 1863, who notwithstanding died a pauper at Sale in 1901.

Hard to believe today, but Sale was the first place people headed for when they came into Gippsland via Port Albert in the late 1840s, so it's been there for a while.

Just up the Sale-Maffra road is the Maffra Motor Museum, one of the biggest in Vic outside of .... well, where are the others? Though I could never understand why Maffra has a back-packers hostel ...
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Thread Information