EU Parliament moves towards single Euro number plate - Effect on UK ?
  • Help
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: EU Parliament moves towards single Euro number plate - Effect on UK ?

1000+ Posts

Default EU Parliament moves towards single Euro number plate - Effect on UK ?

Reports of move to outlaw British number plates - will they be banned?

MEPs will vote on proposals to introduce a single-coloured plate across the EU

A plan to introduce a single-coloured number plate across the EU and replace the UK's 110-year-old design will be voted on by MEPs next week.

Advertisement

The European Parliament is considering standardising number plates across the continent as part of a wider policy to make it easier to re-register cars abroad.

The proposals could see Britainís 110-year-old number plate switched to fall in line with European neighbours. The latest plans are actually a watered-down version of the initial policy, which called for a single number plate to be introduced across the EU. Itís all part of a wider policy to make it easier to travel around the continent being discussed by the European Parliament.

Read more: UK number plates could be scrapped under EU law | Auto Express
    Ken

Riiight... It'll happen straight after they adopt the Euro as their currency.

The idea of a single number plate is a good one. What number will they put on it ?

When France changed its number plate system recently, it used the Italian plate numbering system but neglected to make sure that the Italian numbers weren't duplicated in France. It led to some strange speeding tickets.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    The idea of a single number plate is a good one. What number will they put on it ?

When France changed its number plate system recently, it used the Italian plate numbering system but neglected to make sure that the Italian numbers weren't duplicated in France. It led to some strange speeding tickets.
    I can just imagine the chaos and the expense of changing over Australian state based plates for a federal single plate system - B-Euro - cracy personified!! Would never be cheaper...

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    I can just imagine the chaos and the expense of changing over Australian state based plates for a federal single plate system - B-Euro - cracy personified!! Would never be cheaper...
    I can't Would do away with some hassles when a car transfers to another state (and some income from fines for state governments). Imagine it would also easier to trace stolen cars due to a common register system?
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

JBN

I am thinking of changing my numberplates to Saudi Arabian ones. I reckon that will really throw the speed cameras and parking police.

John

We already do have "Federal" plates for heavy vehicles....
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

UFO

Just went and checked the metal of the rego plates on our three cars - the oldest being issued in 2000. They're aluminium I think - well certainly not steel.

I'm sure the car forii in the UK are alive with "bloody Europeans and their stupid laws" whereas in fact the UK is also part of the European Union and have representatives in Brussels who participate in making these laws.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

And I wouldn't be able to yell out "You (bleep) Victorian (bleep)".
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

If my Latin education hasn't completely left me, the plural of forum is fora - it being a neuter noun, see
    forum - Wiktionary
    but in English, forums is now accepted

In India, where a lot of affluent country garbage is recycled, the women concerned spend a lot a time at knit picking. Microfibre has really baffled them.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Was this proposal first released on april 1

1000+ Posts

Probably a 1 April thing. The whole point of different plates is that you can easily identify a car. It's not just the number that's recognisable. When you have a few eye witnesses, one will get the type of car, the other will get some of the numbers, another will recall the country (or state) of origin. Homogenising a key identifier is NOT a smart move!
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

1991 Peugeot 605SVE (Written off 2007)
    1995 Peugeot 605SV (Bianca White) *SOLD*
    2007 Volvo XC70 Electric Silver (PJ-810)
    2009 Volvo XC60 T6 Teknik (Sapphire Black)
    2014 Volvo XC70 Luxury D5 Polestar (Ice White)
    2012 Mercedes Benz C250 (Alabandite)

Past:
    1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 2001 Volvo XC70 and various Volvo 200-series

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by sfrawley View Post
    And I wouldn't be able to yell out "You (bleep) Victorian (bleep)".
    Nor "bloody South Australians - why is it they speed up going up hills but can't even get near the speed limit on the flat?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

It wouldn't go down too well in WA as we have district plates as well as a statewide alpha-numeric system. Then there are the expensive personalised ones. Want a 'Prestige Euro' plate? Set you back around $1500!
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Since the question was about the effect on the UK I'd hazard a guess it will be that more of them are going to be creamed on continental freeways because they didn't move out of the way in time. At least now, continentals know when there's an englishman ahead and don't expect them to move when flashed to get out of the way so they find another way around.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Since the question was about the effect on the UK I'd hazard a guess it will be that more of them are going to be creamed on continental freeways because they didn't move out of the way in time. At least now, continentals know when there's an englishman ahead and don't expect them to move when flashed to get out of the way so they find another way around.
    Still should be easy to identify the English (or British), the're the only ones is RHD cars.
    Okay, might not be so easy if theres a passenger too but the driver will be the one wearing the hat.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Not when you're coming up behind them at 200km/h at night.

But I see your point.

They also tend to drive cars nobody cares about. Like Vauxhalls or such.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thread Information