4G mobile WIFI
  • Help

Thread: 4G mobile WIFI

Default 4G mobile WIFI

Anyone using one of these devices? I would like to know what speeds I can expect assuming I would have good 4G signal, if I used a number of computers connected all at once (say three). Any other issues (say I run different platforms, none Windows) with the modem getting confused and disconnecting randomly one or the other?

Advertisement
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Default 4G mobile WIFI

Oh yeah - 4G kicks arse (here in NZ). Max speed downloads on 3G (iPhone 4) was around 10-15Mbs, but have seen almost 70Mbs on 4G (iPhone 5s).

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Anyone using one of these devices? I would like to know what speeds I can expect assuming I would have good 4G signal, if I used a number of computers connected all at once (say three). Any other issues (say I run different platforms, none Windows) with the modem getting confused and disconnecting randomly one or the other?
    About the half the connection as standard cable on a good day apparently. But a lot more expensive than either cable or ADSL. Aslo, being wireless, dependent of network use and congestion.

Speed test: How fast is 4G, really? | ZDNet

Maybe you need to run a carrier approved 4G router and make sure your wifi stuff is manufacturer certified for what ever platform it's running on.

Some of these "alternate" OSs have strange concepts of device certification and compatibility. This can be one of the hidden issues of running alternative OSs.
    Last edited by robmac; 9th April 2014 at 06:41 PM.

Thank you, Rob.

I was looking at buying a 4G WIFI mobile modem/router (?) thingie with either Telstra or Optus, hence my question. Both are trying to assure me I should have very good speed at my (home) location plus selected airports, etc. Quite a few bush areas have very good 4G infrastructure already and sometimes you happen to be the only user (or one of the very few) judging by speeds.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi. Several of my colleagues at work now have 4G smartphones. They are constantly crowing about how fast and how clear the voice calls are. However they only achieve these very fast download bandwidth when in the 4G supported area, outside they step back to 3G.

I would ask a friend or colleague that you may know that has a 4G smartphone, to come to you home and perform a couple of speed tests right where you anticipate placing your modem. It might provide an indications of what you might expect if your progress.

I also use ADSL2+ at home and had a period of very slow download bandwidth - often less than 2Mbps down, with slow ping. I did tests for a number of weeks. Also isolated all of the devices on the Telstra line, checked the ADSL filters, tried other filters, even put the modem in the kitchen directly connected to the RJ11 outlet. (My ADSL is on the end of a approx. 10Mt extension cable). My modem has a low signal to noise ratio, cant remember what the actual figure was just now. None of this made any difference. I noticed that the time of day made a significant difference to the speedtest results - still does. I finally raised the issue with my ISP, fortunately things changed. Of late I obtain 20ms ping, 12Mbps, down & 0.88Mbps up. For my typical usage, I am happy enough with this bandwidth. I hardly ever download files.

I would ask a friend or colleague that you may know that has a 4G smartphone, to come to you home and perform a couple of speed tests right where you anticipate placing your modem. It might provide an indications of what you might expect if your progress.
    Make sure you buy a 4g router that supports an separate antenna. Then you buy an adaptor lead and a small yagi antenna, pointed at the nearest repeater to get a workable signal strength.

20db antenna gain is not to be sneezed at.

Huawei B593 4G WiFi Router Antenna

Good point, Rob. I already have one such antenna to use in the bush and it makes the difference between having and not having internet. Not sure if the mobile+wifi devices accept external aerials though.

1000+ Posts

Keep in mind the distinction between a modem and a router, A modem converts a phone signal to a digital signal. A router keeps your three computers or other devices talking, think of it as running the internal (LAN) network. For ADSL users, both functions are usually combined in one box.

For wireless broadband it's common to use a separate dongle type modem that plugs into a USB port on the separate router. Always check that the router and dongle are compatible - there are a few combinations that have hiccups that take quite a bit of skill to get round. Robmac's advice on antennae is spot on. Without an antenna you might be forced to keep the unit somewhere where there is reception, which may be very impractical.

Because the modem dongles are USB devices, it is common to use a USB extension cable from the router to somewhere with reception, like a window sill.

All valid points. Right now I have a dongle on NextG which I use with aerial in the bush, but I was looking at the mobile modem thingies that Telastra and Optus sell. I guess you are right, I mean I am not sure they are routers as well. This kind of thing:

Telstra - Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband Devices and Starter Kits - Broadband Internet

Banned

that device is a modem and router, but i guess this bit gives it away:

Connect up to five WI-FI enabled devices simultaneously including a compatible smartphone, tablet or laptop.

Thread Information